• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFT Looks At Peppers Deal

Skew

Carey seems to be in WAY over his head.
i would say both carey and peppers were to begin with. good intentions but isn't that what paves the road to hell?

one thing that still jumps out at me from the comments carey made after the tender was signed:

"Julius has always had tremendous respect for the individuals in the organization, and he had the opportunity to sit down face-to-face and talk with people he's had great respect for," said Carey. "Sometimes it takes a discussion to begin to understand each other's perspectives."
who's fault is it that discussions didn't happen?

seems a lot of frustration could have been avoided had peppers and carey just gone to the team in the first place instead of making comments to the press. that is where a good and experienced agent would have helped, imo. even if peppers original comments were made off the cuff a good agent could have seen the potential damage that could cause and done some damage control by speaking to the team just to see where each other stood. if things didn't work out the way you hoped then maybe take it to the press. only do that as a last resort, though.

I'm starting to think more and more that Pep just wanted the tag and the money that comes with it. Remember, when he first said he didn't want to play for carolina the FO was still dealing with Gross. Everyone knew a deal with Gross was close to happening and Pep basically guaranteed it was going to happen.

If Pep gets tagged again next year then he'll be close to getting the guaranteed money that Haynesworth got, but in only 2 years. After that he'll still be able to get a good contract despite his age.

Plus if you buy in to the notion that he doesn't really like playing football(I personally don't) then he's got to love the franchise tag because it doesn't include any incentives.

The way in which he came out and said he wanted to be traded but then make a trade as hard as possible just doesn't make sense. If what I've said is true then it makes perfect sense - he didn't want his plan to blow up in his face.

I'm starting to think more and more that Pep just wanted the tag and the money that comes with it. Remember, when he first said he didn't want to play for carolina the FO was still dealing with Gross. Everyone knew a deal with Gross was close to happening and Pep basically guaranteed it was going to happen.

If Pep gets tagged again next year then he'll be close to getting the guaranteed money that Haynesworth got, but in only 2 years. After that he'll still be able to get a good contract despite his age.

Plus if you buy in to the notion that he doesn't really like playing football(I personally don't) then he's got to love the franchise tag because it doesn't include any incentives.

The way in which he came out and said he wanted to be traded but then make a trade as hard as possible just doesn't make sense. If what I've said is true then it makes perfect sense - he didn't want his plan to blow up in his face.

Understood, but not quite. They made their fair share of statements indicating he did not want to be tagged. He wanted out (at least at the time).

And as I've read, his contract does include incentives (escalators for things like making thr Pro Bowl, etc). What it doesn't include is any provision that prevents his being franchised next year.

But then, a long term deal makes that point moot.

A players past incentives carry over to the tag, so if he makes the pro bowl, he gets 1.5 million dollars and he gets a 300k bonus for every playoff game he plays in this year. That 16.7 is actually 20 million on our books for this season, because next season is uncapped LTBE and ULTBE are counted on the current cap.

Understood, but not quite. They made their fair share of statements indicating he did not want to be tagged. He wanted out (at least at the time).

And as I've read, his contract does include incentives (escalators for things like making thr Pro Bowl, etc). What it doesn't include is any provision that prevents his being franchised next year.

But then, a long term deal makes that point moot.

Well of course he's going to say he doesn't want the tag. He was basically playing the role of a disgruntled player without being disgruntled. It's just my theory though - a way to connect the dots.

As far as the incentives, I don't really think it has to do with anything, I was just throwing it out there.

side note: I thought all tagged players get a generic contract. They can throw incentives in or modify it? Or are their standard incentives included?

Well of course he's going to say he doesn't want the tag. He was basically playing the role of a disgruntled player without being disgruntled. It's just my theory though - a way to connect the dots.

As far as the incentives, I don't really think it has to do with anything, I was just throwing it out there.

side note: I thought all tagged players get a generic contract. They can throw incentives in or modify it? Or are their standard incentives included?

Although I took that take in another thread playing devil's advocate, I have a hard time thinking Carey/Peppers being that smart.

Maybe, but it's not likely...

Archived