• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The TOP Question

Mr. Scot

I've seen it lamented, in a couple of different places, that our offense last year didn't really dominate in the time of possession category (something you'd expect to be a staple of Foxball).

The reason, of course, was that there were a fair number of big plays. Long runs by Williams and Stewart mostly, but a fair share of long passes to Smith as well.

What worries some folks is that the shorter time spent on offense forces the defense to be on the field longer, thus tiring them out. It is hoped by many, therefore, that the offense will focus this year on longer drives, in effect lessening defensive fatigue.

Put me in the minority here. I'm going to disagree.

I have no problem with the offense being a big play offense, even a quick strike offense, with Ron Meeks running the other side of the ball.

A big play offense combined with the kind of "bend don't break" style of defense Mike Trgovac ran is an awful combination. And when you think about it, having that combo should make it even less of a surprise that our D struggled down late in games (especially down the stretch).

On the flip side, having a big play offense on one side and a defense that is designed to force three and outs rather than merely minimizing the number of points scored? Not such a bad mix.

Bottom line: The offense will still likely have it's fair share of sustained drives, but having the ability to strike from anywhere on the field doesn't necessarily mean the defense will automatically end up winded. If the defense does its job as they are supposed to, they shouldn't be on the field for a long time either.

I'd add, as a side note, that I think John Fox is evolving in his ideas about offense.

Despite his being an old school defensive-minded coach at heart, I think he's begun to like this whole big play thing, and doesn't really mind at all that the offense is getting as much of the spotlight as the defense.

I think I had mentioned in another thread that if Meeks is an Indyish philosophy guy still, that this type of O is a good fit opposite it, so I agree. The Rams were similar also when they had the GREATEST SHOW ON TURF plus Lovie Smith running the D.

I'd add, as a side note, that I think John Fox is evolving in his ideas about offense.

Despite his being an old school defensive-minded coach at heart, I think he's begun to like this whole big play thing, and doesn't really mind at all that the offense is getting as much of the spotlight as the defense.

we will see...i hope this is the year we get to pass more to our TE

A great defense trumps any style of offense (see '96 Panthers or '06 Bears). If the opposing team is averaging less than 14 points a game, it doesn't matter how the offense gets two TDs just as long as 14 points are scored at least.

Trgo's style had flaws, but the main issue with last year's defense was the D-line. Which still bothers me, does a couple of rookies and and a new system make our D-line that much better? That remain's to be seen.

It really deosn't matter whether the offense is ball control or quick-strike as long as the defense keeps limited points on the board.

I think I had mentioned in another thread that if Meeks is an Indyish philosophy guy still, that this type of O is a good fit opposite it, so I agree. The Rams were similar also when they had the GREATEST SHOW ON TURF plus Lovie Smith running the D.

Good example.

One of my worries about the Meeks hire was that his defense was helped a lot by other teams always having to play catchup because Peyton and company were scoring from all over the field. I was worried that we couldn't duplicate that element.

But when you look back, with Williams, Stewart and Smith, not only could we duplicate those conditions. We did.

With that in mind, the hire makes more sense to me now than it did at the time.

I think he's giving more and more control to Davidson, and I think that will continue this season as well. The big plays are a result of that IMO, Look at what he did in Cleavland and NE. He completely turned around Cleavland's offense in 11 games. He's also a fantastic TE and Oline coach.

I think he's giving more and more control to Davidson, and I think that will continue this season as well. The big plays are a result of that IMO, Look at what he did in Cleavland and NE. He completely turned around Cleavland's offense in 11 games. He's also a fantastic TE and Oline coach.

Also why I think we'll see more of a role for the TE this season than in the past.

Honestly our offensive talent has even more room to grow into, considering how much of it there is. With the offensive line having another year together, Stewart with some more experience, and now the addition of Goodson should be able to contribute from anywhere on the field, it may become even more of a big play offense.

With a much more aggressive defense that can attack the opposing offense rather than slowing it down and forcing it into a mistake, is must more in line with this way of thinking. Especially considering that most offenses we are going to go up against are very solid, the idea that they will mistake over a 12 play 80 yard drive is even less valid. We have to force the opposition's hand just like the 70's Steelers did, on both sides of the ball.

I was just thinking that with two RBs with the natural ability to break it on any down (particularly with a human earth mover like Otah), and the most explosive WR in the game because of YAC, the Panthers can't help but be a "big play team." There is nothing that Fox can do about that, so he has to roll with it. Anything else would be like holding a stallion back to preserve energy, so that you can exploit its power and speed in the last quarter mile in a horse race. But, the NFL is not horse racing, so you have to go with the flow. Anything else would be insane.

All that being said, I believe that Fox would like for Jake to be even a more effective game manager by using the passing game to control the offense by keeping opposing defenses honest (at least that's what I would be looking for). In my estimation, we need to mix it up more by spreading the ball around more to the number three receiver, the TEs, and perhaps more importantly the RBs within the flat and level two of the offense, by use of screens and misdirection.

Whether Jake can be more efficient at checking his receivers, passing with a tad more precision and accuracy, and consistently make smart decisions is what our Super Bowl hopes and dreams will hinge upon.

As long as our defense gets after the ball, and also uses a lot of disguise and movement, I think that we will be a hell of a nightmare to deal with. The D is going to have to suck it up, get conditioned and get consistent at pressuring and attacking (and taking away) the ball if they want to get their share of rest during the game.

We have the ability to strike like a Cobra on the offensive side of the ball. That's just a fact of life. Now, we're going to have to have to develop that killer instinct (and make the big plays) on the defensive side of the ball. With our talent, it can be done. Meeks is just going to have to turn training camp into a defensive boot camp.

Archived