• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenjon Barner

SCP

A 6th round pick gets carries after an UDFA in his 1st preseason game. On his first touch in the NFL he fumbles. Then fumbles on a botched snap again later on.

Come here and its all rainbows and unicorns? "pro's pro" "feature back by the end of the year" "great draft pick"

What am I missing?

4 YPC (some of which came through the middle of the defense) for a guy who was labeled a scat back, and incredible quickness.  First fumble was bad ball security, second was 50/50 between him and Jimmy.  Not saying he's going to be a Pro Bowler this season, but anyone who actually watched the game can see Barner is going to be a very good weapon if he corrects his ball security.

4 YPC (some of which came through the middle of the defense) for a guy who was labeled a scat back, and incredible quickness.  First fumble was bad ball security, second was 50/50 between him and Jimmy.  Not saying he's going to be a Pro Bowler this season, but anyone who actually watched the game can see Barner is going to be a very good weapon if he corrects his ball security.

I really like him, but that's a big if...hopefully he and the coaches will correct it before Philly.

The guy fumbles one time and all of a sudden he has ball security issues.  (I'm giving Pickles the blame on that second fumble)

You guys act like he has been fumbling throughout training camp and his fumbling is the elephant in the room. 

Wasn't really trying to say he had ball security issues if you were referring to me in that.  Just saying he needs to make sure he doesn't keep fumbling if he wants to receive playing time.  He did have some fumbling issues at Oregon, but seemed to correct them while he was there.  I have no doubts that he will do whatever he needs to to make sure it doesn't become an issue here.

I really like him, but that's a big if...hopefully he and the coaches will correct it before Philly.

Not really, I chalk up his first fumble to first carry in his NFL career jitters/excitement.  Just had a lapse in technique and that's all it takes....

Hopefully you were kidding

Because if Stewie can't even practice yet he will not be able to tote the rock 20 times a game. Two ankle surgeries and he hasn't sniffed the field yet. I like Stewie but I am concerned. At least Beason participated in minicamp. Stewie has been preparing for the Tour de France all summer.

how often does a panthers featured back consistently carry the ball 20x a game?

Wasn't really trying to say he had ball security issues if you were referring to me in that.  Just saying he needs to make sure he doesn't keep fumbling if he wants to receive playing time.  He did have some fumbling issues at Oregon, but seemed to correct them while he was there.  I have no doubts that he will do whatever he needs to to make sure it doesn't become an issue here.

I wasn't really referencing anyone in particular, just skimmed through the thread and noticed people bringing it up.

In an interview yesterday, Gettleman wasn't at all concerned about his fumbles so I don't think we should be either.  Now if Barner puts it on the ground Thursday, we may have something to talk about.

You guys act like he has been fumbling throughout training camp and his fumbling is the elephant in the room. 

So Poole was ahead of him in the rotation before the fumbling issues? 

What the coaching staff thinks of Poole is the real elephant in the room

So Poole was ahead of him in the rotation before the fumbling issues? 

What the coaching staff thinks of Poole is the real elephant in the room

I think the coaching staff knows Barner is the future, and just wanted to give Poole a chance to show what he can do with the first string.

I'm not going to read too much into the RB depth chart after one preseason game.

AJ Klein talks about Barner (from the 'Kuechly 2.0' article)

Running back Kenjon Barner is “just an athlete,” Klein says. “Kenjon is definitely one of the shiftiest backs I’ve played against.”

Klein laughs.

“Man-to-man coverage on him isn’t fun because you think you have him sealed off and he’ll do some kind of back jump step, something I don’t even know what he wants to call it, but he’ll slip right past you if you’re not in tune with what he’s doing,” says Klein. “He’ll definitely be special on special teams.”

A 6th round pick gets carries after an UDFA in his 1st preseason game. On his first touch in the NFL he fumbles. Then fumbles on a botched snap again later on.

Come here and its all rainbows and unicorns? "pro's pro" "feature back by the end of the year" "great draft pick"

What am I missing?

Did you miss the interview? Ball security was not an issue with him at Oregon. The guy was a playmaker. Listen to the interview and hear what he has to say. I think we got a steal and I think by the end of this year he's going to be making huge plays for us.

I think the coaching staff knows Barner is the future, and just wanted to give Poole a chance to show what he can do with the first string.

I'm not going to read too much into the RB depth chart after one preseason game.

When the OP is about Barner becoming the feature back this year - the RB depth chart at the 1st preseason game shouldn't be ignored

Archived