• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Big men allow you to compete,"--Dave Gettlemen

MHS831

Could have something to do with the Bengals having one of the deeper overall rosters in the NFL....and don't need an average old fart.

I don't think it is a failure of DG's....I think he is simply going to sit on his hands at this point. He is only going to bring in super cheap discounts IMO.....bc I think the Rivera situation is making him avoid touching the offense. Why he drafted like he did and is looking at what next year may bring. That isn't bashing him....that might make him a good GM

But couldn't he draft Offense for the future, just as he did the Defense?

He doesn't know the next coaches preferences on D anymore than he does on O.

What if we bust out and make the playoffs? Then he sat on his hands for nothing.

C'mon man. You build for what you have. Not for what the future may hold. If he isn't doing everything in his power to make Rivera's team as good as it can be. I don't want him.

I would be willing to bet. If Gettlemen came on the Huddle and explained his master plan. There would still be way too many folks upset. Some for him giving his plan away, some for hating his plan, and some just wouldn't understand it.

But couldn't he draft Offense for the future, just as he did the Defense?

He doesn't know the next coaches preferences on D anymore than he does on O.

What if we bust out and make the playoffs? Then he sat on his hands for nothing.

C'mon man. You build for what you have. Not for what the future may hold. If he isn't doing everything in his power to make Rivera's team as good as it can be. I don't want him.

I would be willing to bet. If Gettlemen came on the Huddle and explained his master plan. There would still be way too many folks upset. Some for him giving his plan away, some for hating his plan, and some just wouldn't understand it.

Draft for a Cam/Rivera offense or for the type he would want his new HC to be running?

GM hires the coach...and essentially builds a franchise to HIS idea. The double down on DT just means he would hire a HC who valued front 4 DL play. The DT double down IMO was the safe play for DG.

If you know RR is gone if he doesn't make he playoffs and we have only made the playoffs 4 times in our HISTORY.....you would be a little foolish to have the all in mentality IMO right now. He is all in under certain "conditions"....

Rivera isn't a lameduck but his seat is red hot....that impacts a new GM. That is how owner telling him RR has little room for error.

But couldn't he draft Offense for the future, just as he did the Defense? He doesn't know the next coaches preferences on D anymore than he does on O. What if we bust out and make the playoffs? Then he sat on his hands for nothing. C'mon man. You build for what you have. Not for what the future may hold. If he isn't doing everything in his power to make Rivera's team as good as it can be. I don't want him. I would be willing to bet. If Gettlemen came on the Huddle and explained his master plan. There would still be way too many folks upset. Some for him giving his plan away, some for hating his plan, and some just wouldn't understand it.
I'm willing to bet he already has 2-3 coaches in mind if RR shits the bed again, and already knows what D or O they prefer. The NFL is the ultimate "ole boys club".

Draft for a Cam/Rivera offense or for the type he would want his new HC to be running?

GM hires the coach...and essentially builds a franchise to HIS idea. The double down on DT just means he would hire a HC who valued front 4 DL play. The DT double down IMO was the safe play for DG.

If you know RR is gone if he doesn't make he playoffs and we have only made the playoffs 4 times in our HISTORY.....you would be a little foolish to have the all in mentality IMO right now. He is all in under certain "conditions"....

Rivera isn't a lameduck but his seat is red hot....that impacts a new GM. That is how owner telling him RR has little room for error.

Hey, I understand what you are saying. But you have to understand that Rivera might not be gone. Everything you advocate is predicated on Rivera not being here next year. What if your plan falls through?

Why would Gettlemen hire a coach that did not want Cam? The only way that happens is if Cam has a horrific year this year. Bad throws, bad decisions, poor attitude, and all around pissy year. Otherwise, if our new HC doesn't want Cam, I don't want him either.

You don't plan for failure. Which is what you keep implying. That DG is biding his time until Rivera is gone. No one worth their salt would do that. Not in their first year. Not in such a competitive sport as football. It just is not done.

Drafting for D makes sense. Defense allows you to compete. Good Defenses allow you to win. So I can see the double dip at DT. Especially with the two we got. But it does not necessarily mean he is building for the next Head Coach. DG believes in D. His coach better believe in D. Rivera does. He is here. He may be here for a while. And I can live with that.

I'm willing to bet he already has 2-3 coaches in mind if RR shits the bed again, and already knows what D or O they prefer. The NFL is the ultimate "ole boys club".

IF Rivera blows it this year, you may be right. Gettlemen has been in this game a long time. I am quite sure he knows which way the wind blows.

But he has to do his level best to make this years team as good as it can be. His credibility would be shot otherwise. And other than our O-line mess, most believe he has done a fantastic job so far.

He has given Rivera his best team since he got here. It is up to Rivera to make something of it. If he does, he will remain the Panther Head Coach. If he fails. We just may find out what kind of Coach Gettlemen wants.

Me, personally, I want Rivera around for two reasons. 1) It will mean we are a playoff caliber team. 2) We won't be starting over, yet again.

Guest HelloWorld

Maybe the panthers organization is trying to prove mobile QBs don't last in this league. Only way I can make sense of this.

Hey, I understand what you are saying. But you have to understand that Rivera might not be gone. Everything you advocate is predicated on Rivera not being here next year. What if your plan falls through?

Why would Gettlemen hire a coach that did not want Cam? The only way that happens is if Cam has a horrific year this year. Bad throws, bad decisions, poor attitude, and all around pissy year. Otherwise, if our new HC doesn't want Cam, I don't want him either.

You don't plan for failure. Which is what you keep implying. That DG is biding his time until Rivera is gone. No one worth their salt would do that. Not in their first year. Not in such a competitive sport as football. It just is not done.

Drafting for D makes sense. Defense allows you to compete. Good Defenses allow you to win. So I can see the double dip at DT. Especially with the two we got. But it does not necessarily mean he is building for the next Head Coach. DG believes in D. His coach better believe in D. Rivera does. He is here. He may be here for a while. And I can live with that.

I am not saying he is banking on RR being fired....but has to acknowledge this year determines who he will be building around. RR gets to the playoffs then he can invest for him....he doesn't he can for his guy.

You don't plan for failure....if you ade DG you have to be prepared for the two obvious ways this season goes and what it means. Looks like DG is....

Double DT was safe....means they could be for RR or his guy. D wouldn't have to be blown up either but a new HC and the offense easily could

I have to say some Panthers fan are so disrespectful to their own team .... (Usually the ones with negative outlook at everything). If your setting the team for failure without even playing a single season of game please stop commenting on the huddle for this season and come back " next season " for your rebuilding year

So how much would you pay for a guy like Wharton or a final cut guy at this point. Will we spend or go cheap? If several teams want a guy do we go after him like Hurney did or do we lowball him like Gettleman has done so far?

I think they wait to bring in Wharton after the first game, so they don't have to guarantee his salary.

The only way I see a trade is if the player comes with a reasonable salary.

IMO.

Archived