• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera Press Conference

rodeo

-Signed Mikell because Mitchell and Naka both may not be ready for week 1.

-Gettis was waive/injured because of his hamstring, it's severe and they were concerned he couldn't play for quite some time.

-Tolbert looked good in camp and he's not concerned about the backfield.

-Happy with our corners, seemed to indicate the Joshes would start, or at least he hopes they will.

-Mikell has played a lot against the NFC West, and AFC North, both of whom we play this year.

-Slobbered over Seattle and Wilson. Said we considered Wilson in the draft.

-Armond is explosive and has speed and dominant special teams play. "He's not always right, but he's doing it very fast."

-Amini is day to day. He is more likely to play week 1 than he was last week.

-LG by committee, Wharton and Scott. If Amini is ready, Wharton will be a back-up.

-Nakamura failed concussion test.

-He wants to start strong, play physical, but not put too much pressure on winning the opener because it's a long season. Focus on a game at a time.

-Scouts are looking at tape about something, still can't understand.

Short press conference.

his familiarity with the NFCW could be huge as well, particularly against the seahawks and 49ers. i think insider knowledge is often overrated and is almost always overshadowed by good execution, but he'll be able to bring in insight on two of the league's best running games.

-He wants to start strong, play physical, but not put too much pressure on winning the opener because it's a 16 game season.

i hope to hell this is just coachspeak for the media and not indicative of a culture of milquetoastery in the locker room

Guys Rivera knows the pressure to win and to win the first game especially. However there is no point of adding on more pressure then necessary as that can hinder performance just as much as the lack of pressure can.

This was kind of the spirit of his answer. The reporter basically framed the question; asked if you want to put -too much- pressure on the opener, and Rivera basically said that you want to start strong but it's a long season.

I gotta be honest I don't like the part about not putting too much pressure on winning the opener due to it being a 16 game season. It's almost like the Seahawks are better than us so don't panic if we lose. Rivera should be telling these guys that the Panthers haven't won a week one home opener since 1983 and the Seahawks are a bunch of loudmouth assholes so let's punch them in the mouth and tell them get the fug off our field. Just my opinion.

Archived