• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton on African-American QB's in the NFL

TheRumGone

I try to avoid reading the comments in articles like that.  Seems to bring out the idiots.

Fwiw, I am not surprised a coach would want Cam to play a position like receiver.  He has the height and speed to be a star at the position, just as he is at Qb.

There's a reason these sorts of ridiculous articles always seem to find themselves on the front page. 

WFNZ, in particular "The Drive", get off on these race related issues every now and then and I usually change the station. 

Just like with what Eagles WR Riley Cooper said a month ago. I'm honestly shocked he's still on the team. However, how many times do you think that awful word is said at an Eagles practice between other players? What about in the locker room when players are blasting Drake/Wayne/2Chainz before the game? 

I also am curious why Cam Newton, who is lightning rod for negative media attention, was asked this question instead of EJ Manuel or Russ Wilson? 

Dude yahoo comments make us tinderbox posters look like super mega geniuses in comparison. And we tinderbox posters are a pretty pathetic bunch.

Agreed. I haven't been in the tinderbox much, even to lurk, but reading comments on Yahoo is just toxic. Reading comments on there makes you feel like the apocalypse is coming any day now.

What is interesting about all of this is that I personally do not even notice anymore, well until it gets brought up.  I feel like it is more rare to see a white cornerback or even running back than an african-american quarterback.  I guess I'm missing the reason why it was brought up but it seems to be a big deal to some people.  I do like that Cam kind of shrugged it off, and I agree with everything he said as well.

Jonathan Jones twitted a ridiculous article talking about how african americans quarterbacks are all considered "running" quarterbacks and discriminated against because of that.  But how many people did you hear on twitter this weekend say 
"Oh wow, Andrew Luck can run!!!"?  It happens both ways.  Luck ran the same forty as Cam did at the combine but everyone talks about him being a pocket passer.

It's a ridiculous gimmick that the media throws out there to gain attention from readers, but fans ultimately know and understand the kind of players these guys really are.  And generally, most people don't care about the color of the skin of the guy at QB or any other position for that matter, but whether he can get the job done.  

And one last comment, why aren't there more african american kickers?

It's only an issue becuase historically, and many players in the past have attested to this, black players were forced to play other positions becuase the thinking was that black players were not intelligent enough to play the QB position.  The reason it is made into a big deal is due to the opportunity being smothered for such a long time but now with what I call the post Mike Vick generation, we are beginning to see players given the opportunity to play QB.

The history of "discrimination" isn't there with white running backs and other skill positions, at the NFL level you would think that anyone with the talent will be given the position but the one position that defies logic has always been QB. 

Look at The Golden Calf of Bristol.  There have been countless black players in the past who would never have gotten the opportunity to play QB at all in the NFL.  His skill set was one that was very similar to "athletes playing QB" in the past who were told to switch positions even before playing in the NCAA, and the NFL was unimaginable.  Opportunity, not quantity is the issue, we are now seeing the results, and QB is finally beginning to close the vast difference between the average player and QB numbers.  Kickers puzzle me, but it probably has much to do with soccer not being a very popular sport within the AA community, all of the kickers in high school played soccer...just a guess.

I don't see the big deal. I mean like 90 percent(just a guess) of nfl players are black anyways. I mean would we start announcing it and making a big deal if a Trend of white WR or RB or CB starting taking shape. I think not. Who cares what damn color u are. Media is a joke nowadays

Archived