• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Could Dave Gettleman's plans for the Panthers future not include Cam Newton"

PantherPhann89

I just read this article on catscratchreader. When I read the follow comments from DG, the rest of article had my immediate attention: "10 of the 12 teams in the playoffs this year had true pocket passers. At the end of the day, the quarterback has to make plays from the pocket. I think the read option is an option, exactly what you called it. But at the end of the day your quarterback has got to make plays from the pocket and if he can't you're going to struggle." - Dave Gettleman

I've been a Panther Phann since day 1. My favorite player is Steve Smith, however I do like Cam as our QB. I just think that we're using him wrong. We're trying to make a pocket QB and now you see why the article had my attention. Is the coaching staff trying to show that Cam can be a pocket QB to satisfy DG so that we can keep Cam here in Charlotte?

CPP, I agree something is up. Cam seems determined to stay in the "pocket" no matter what's going on around him. Someone is telling him something.

But, DG is not being prudent if he wants to force Cam to stay in the conventional pocket. There has never been a Cam Newton in the NFL before. Not with his size, strength, arm, running ability and new found accuracy. Why would you force him to play like others, when the others don't compare to him - physically? His weakness is staring down receivers and not consistently going through his progressions. He relies too heavily on his pre-snap read, then forces the ball to that receiver. Fortunately, he has the arm and accuracy to be able to pull it off most of the time. Unfortunately, in the red zone, there is much less room to work with. And he can't find those open areas to fit the ball into.

Which is why I would try to get him outside of the pocket, particularly in the RZ and force defenders to make a decision, rather than sitting back and reading his eyes.

CPP, I agree something is up. Cam seems determined to stay in the "pocket" no matter what's going on around him. Someone is telling him something.

But, DG is not being prudent if he wants to force Cam to stay in the conventional pocket. There has never been a Cam Newton in the NFL before. Not with his size, strength, arm, running ability and new found accuracy. Why would you force him to play like others, when the others don't compare to him - physically? His weakness is staring down receivers and not consistently going through his progressions. He relies too heavily on his pre-snap read, then forces the ball to that receiver. Fortunately, he has the arm and accuracy to be able to pull it off most of the time. Unfortunately, in the red zone, there is much less room to work with. And he can't find those open areas to fit the ball into.

Which is why I would try to get him outside of the pocket, particularly in the RZ and force defenders to make a decision, rather than sitting back and reading his eyes.

I completely agree with you. I'm surprised that he's still starting down receivers but he does it constantly and immediately. Of course the o-line isn't helping a great deal but there has been times that he had enough time to scan the field but he still locks on. The read option fits him, but it can't be a base offense, it's an option. I'm all for building around Cam but I have to admit that I have my concerns. In any case, concerns comes with anyone in that position. He's here, lets build it and let him play!

. Is the coaching staff trying to show that Cam can be a pocket QB to satisfy DG so that we can keep Cam here in Charlotte?

I don't think this is the case.  A good rule to follow:  "If you read it at an inferior site, you can pretty much disregard it."

edit:  fyi, apparently catscratchreader's acronym autocorrects to "an inferior site".  just so you know what I was actually trying to say :)  And on a side note, I 100% approve of this autocorrection :)

Opposing defenses have learned how to better contain Cam. I think AZ was using a spy, and we had the same plan for Vick when we drafted TD to spy him.

I think the coaching staff is taking the approach of learn now, win later. Cam is going through growing pains in the pocket, and we're suffering as a result. If I were calling the plays as a fan, then I would try to win now using Cams legs as much as possible. I would make the Vikings and the rest of the teams we face eat a heavy dose of designed QB runs out of what look like pass plays. Any teams with so-so LBs would face more read option than they would ever want to see. But that's coming from a fan who doesn't have the big picture in mind. All those runs come at a high price.

I don't think this is the case.  A good rule to follow:  "If you read it at an inferior site, you can pretty much disregard it."

edit:  fyi, apparently catscratchreader's acronym autocorrects to "an inferior site".  just so you know what I was actually trying to say :)  And on a side note, I 100% approve of this autocorrection :)

I wasn't implying that the "inferior site", made this statement as a statement of fact. It is an opinion formed from DG's response to the question whether or not Cam was the future in Charlotte. The article also stated that there was a long pass (7 min, I believe) before he replied. Again, it is not saying that DG is going to trade Cam. It is a good based opinion.

I think what is happening is DG is putting pressure on someone to try to make him a pocket QB and if he can't suceed, then it is time to go. This is his back up plan. Want a pocket QB, proove Cam can't be one, then move on.

This is the reason that I made a comment the other day that I already don't like this guy. Cam is a special type of QB and we need a coach, Off Cord and GM that can, one, put weapons around him, two, build a o-line to protect him, and three, use him to the best of his ability.

I wasn't implying that the "inferior site", made this statement as a statement of fact. It is an opinion formed from DG's response to the question whether or not Cam was the future in Charlotte. The article also stated that there was a long pass (7 min, I believe) before he replied. Again, it is not saying that DG is going to trade Cam. It is a good based opinion.

The "7 second pause" that I think you're referring to seemed like exaggeration for effect by the writer that originated the claim (I can't remember if it was Pat Y or Person or who it was, I just seem to recall it wasn't someone I had any respect for as a writer or journalist).  I don't think whoever came up with that number had a stopwatch and timed the pause, I think he was exaggerating a minor pause that Gettleman made to formulate how he wanted to respond to a question with the intent of adding a non-existent dramatic effect to the actually very normal practice of pausing before answering a question to gather your thoughts.  We all know that NO ONE ever makes something out of nothing for the purpose of sensationalizing a story in the sports journalist world, right?

I don't think Gettleman plans to replace Cam any time in the near future.  If Cam suddenly regresses and just can't seem to get it back together, do I think Gettleman will hesitate to replace him?  Absolutely not.  But I think he's been around football enough to recognize the problem with our offense is lack of playmakers at WR and lack of competency in the big guys.

This "Gettleman is pressuring the coaches to turn Cam into a pocket passer" rumor is starting to get a little out of hand.  As we've seen many cases of here in the past, you guys keep repeating this completely unfounded (and frankly, outlandish) rumor and people are going to start accepting it as truth.  Maybe that's the agenda.  I hope not. 

I think Panther fans like Cam because what he has shown his rookie season but the bottm line is, hes just not that good anymore, why? Who knows, why did Josh Freeman go from having a MVP like season one year, to looking like utter poo the next two years. The thing thats worrisome is Cam still had the same OC his sophmore year as he did his rookie year and still regressed and now in his 3rd year he still looks pretty bad. Sure he has had his moments like the first half of the Cardinals game, but he can never keep up that level of elite play throughout the course of the season on a consistent basis.

Look at the Rams. They passed up on RGIII jist because they "already had their QB" they surronded Bradford with a lot of help and he still cant seem to put it all together. What if the same happens to us? We keep Cam just for the sake of keeping him, surrond him with help but he still never progressses? Another thing is yes Cam is very durable and doesnt get hurt easily, but a few years down the road when age catches up to him and hes just not as quick anymore, can he turn into a consistent, legitimate pocket passer? So far, that remains to be seen.

I think we try to lock him up this off season at a reasonable rate, and if he wants more money negotiations will go on through next season .

Yea, I agree.  I don't think Gettleman is going to pay top dollar for anybody on a team that can't seem to put it together, even if the vast majority of the blame is on the coaching staff.  Goes for Cam, Hardy, will even go for Luke if we're still not successful by then.  Gettleman's not gonna pay Cam like he's won a Super Bowl unless he's actually won a Super Bowl by then.

Archived