• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No long-term deal likely for Peppers

Jbro

It still might work out that he gets a deal done. Marty has well demonstrated that he is prepared to do about anything short of murder to keep him in Charlotte.

What is all this going to cost the Panthers is the real question.

I wouldn't count that out as a possibility just yet. Hurney really, really like Julius.

I was really hoping Peppers would sign the extension so we would free up some cap space and be able to sign some help at DT and back up OL. There is less than two hours until the deadline and it appears any extension this year isn't going to happen. Maybe we can get the DT from Kentucky in the supplimental draft Thursday.... If we could get him for a 4th round pick, he might be worth it.

That doesn't bode well when it comes time to re-sign Beason, who held out his first year. I know he's a team player, but he wants his money too...

yea but suggs plays DE too..he played more DE than LB last year..and he wanted to be payed like one too..i hope beason does not look at suggs contract as a measuring tool..

Why does this extremely negative post from you not surprise me......I remember why. Because every post you make is negative.

It's a pretty negative situation.. has been since the beginning. Also it has dominated the off season so far so I can see why you may associate me and my being honest about the situation as "negative" as well.

The fact is that the likelihood of a positive outcome went way down as soon as Peppers started feeling like he wanted to leave and was made worse when he was tagged. That is a fact. that is not me being negative. You should really slow down and let some of this soak in a bit.

***I am laughing my ass off at the have my cake and eat it too fans on here today. I got caught up in the "what can we get if he signs" too last week but now that I think about it..... Supposedly there was nobody worth a damn available in free agency all off season but now since Peppers is "locked up" for the year you people still want more and that more is the free agents that weren't out there before but supposedly are out there now that Pep signed the tender.

WOW! Does the word reality mean anything at all around here?

It's a pretty negative situation.. has been since the beginning. Also it has dominated the off season so far so I can see why you may associate me and my being honest about the situation as "negative" as well.

The fact is that the likelihood of a positive outcome went way down as soon as Peppers started feeling like he wanted to leave and was made worse when he was tagged. That is a fact. that is not me being negative. You should really slow down and let some of this soak in a bit.

***I am laughing my ass off at the have my cake and eat it too fans on here today. I got caught up in the "what can we get if he signs" too last week but now that I think about it..... Supposedly there was nobody worth a damn available in free agency all off season but now since Peppers is "locked up" for the year you people still want more and that more is the free agents that weren't out there before but supposedly are out there now that Pep signed the tender.

WOW! Does the word reality mean anything at all around here?

But, not getting a long-term deal done in the extremely short period of time we have does not indicated anything.

After he signed the tender, all of the experts said it was unlikely to get a deal don by the deadline. Anyone who "Expected" a deal done was destined to be disappointed. It was possible, but not probable.

But, not getting a long-term deal done in the extremely short period of time we have does not indicated anything.

After he signed the tender, all of the experts said it was unlikely to get a deal don by the deadline. Anyone who "Expected" a deal done was destined to be disappointed. It was possible, but not probable.

maybe it does not indicate anything to you

maybe you always trust the "experts"

I am not saying that he does not want to play in Charlotte I am just laughing at anyone who does not admit that it looks a lot more like he does not want to than it looks like he is fully committed to us long term right now.

This remains a bad situation. It sucks.

Did he sign the franchise tender with provisions of not being labeled a franchise player again??? Or is this whole scenario possible for yet another year with Pep?

the tender had no provisions. If they are stupid enough to pay it again I am sure that he is ready to cash the checks. Especially when they are so easily manipulated into getting hims some help and changing staff and roster to accommodate him at the slightest mention of wanting to leave and only wanting to go to 4 teams.

Marty got played. It's embarrassing.

the tender had no provisions. If they are stupid enough to pay it again I am sure that he is ready to cash the checks. Especially when they are so easily manipulated into getting hims some help and changing staff and roster to accommodate him at the slightest mention of wanting to leave and only wanting to go to 4 teams.

What if he blows out both knees? Who got played then? What if he has a 25 Sack season? Who got played then?

I don't see how you think Marty got played. It was the decision of the FO to keep Peppers, basically at all costs. They know how valuable he is to the defense, and they must have felt it was necessary to keep him for this season. They did that, granted at the cost of 16 million but our pass rush would be nothing without Peppers, and we would not have a shot at a SB without Peppers this season.

I think the tag was the only choice available. If Pep has a great year, then it is worth the money. If he has a bad year or has injury problems, then we can let him walk, or sign him to a cheaper deal than we would have now. I was hoping he would sign a long term deal, but it's not the end of the world either.

If he gets hurt it does not matter. The JPEP retirement plan is sufficiently funded.

If he has 25 sacks he will make 20 million next year somewhere.

Locking him up does not guarantee us a great chance at a great D-line. The only thing it guarantees is that we will pay him 16 million dollars.

You are HOPING that he will be motivated and play great. It makes sense that he would but there is no guarantee that his heart is any more in it nor is it clear what his actual motivation is.

In terms of how things sit right now he and his agent made the best out of a very bad situation in which they were put in a very tough spot. They came away with all the options and all the guarantees. Their actions forced change on the defense. Not the other way around.

You all can continue to lie to this board and even yourselves all you want. I don't care but facts are facts and to paint Marty as anything more than careless and stubborn is pure homerism.

Archived