• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

it was easy to give up on Cam (this isn't a bash Cam haters thread)

TheRumGone

this isn't based in reality but we definitely need to upgrade with a legitimate powerhouse WR.

i just hope we get into a position to draft one or sign one.

I want Cam to be able to make recievers better. poo he has all year spreading the ball around.

but it would be a luxury to have a dominant #1 force. I want that O-line built up more. hopefully we can do it all in one offseason.

Exaggeration on my part, but if we can get a legit #1 talent at wr and a good #2 as a possession receiver, gawddamn 

Some people on here give me a hard time for being critical of Cam. I never thought he sucks. But I have high expectations for him and I don't make excuses for him. He is our best player, he has to deliver.

Today was different than Arizona to me. Even if we had lost I wasn't negative about Cam. He was beat up, lost Steve, had no time, and bad game plan. I will admit I wondered if DA gave us a better chance to win because Cam was clearly hurt and missing open receivers. If Cam is healthy he plays though. You don't bench Cam for performance.

Cam still has a ton of work to do. Sometimes I wonder if our staff is developing him or holding him back. One of the things that drives me nuts about Cam is the way he takes sacks. It's not just the sack but he retreats and loses additional yardage. I want to see Cam get more control of the offense, in terms of play calling. If Shula sends in a QB draw and Cam knows he's hobbled I'd like to see him think for himself and change the play. But maybe it will come with time. When we drafted him I thought it would take 5 years to develop him, he just raised the bar with his play.

I never wanted Cam benched at any point.  I wasn't sure he'd be ready for the NFL in his first season, but boy did he prove me wrong in his very first game.  I've never looked back since, and I've never wanted anything but for him to succeed, even when I didn't know if he was ready.

Early in the year, I was disappointed in him at times, but then and now, I still think most of the problems with our offense aren't on him, and though he has areas to improve, there are times where he's absolutely brilliant.

Today, as in some other games, I've expected more out of Cam than what we were getting at the time.  It's just kind of how I am during game time.  But even had we lost, even if Cam hadn't managed to make a go of it, I would never have wanted him benched or anything like that.  I just woulda been disappointed that he couldn't get it done given what we had available to him.  IMO, I see him as becoming an elite, great QB... so I want to see these moments.  When they don't happen, it's understandable - he's so fuging young and has so little around him - but that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed when they don't happen.  I can't help it... I'm a Panthers fan as well as a fan of Cam, so while I know the reasonable thing would be to look at the rain, Smitty's injury, the 9 in the box, etc... I still was wanting to see Cam do more.  But he came through when it mattered most and made me look like a fool for wondering if the offense had it in them, so all ends up well :)

Cam made some bad throws today, but I think Shula didn't call a great game either. Every game I think we're going to see some screen passes to Tolbert in the flat and it never happens. It's always up the middle or off tackle. Also the right side of the line is like a welcome mat for the defense. More and more we are seeing Cam stick in the pocket and making clutch throws. When we finally sure up the line issues and get some legitimate offensive weapons, I think cam is going to run roughshot over the league.

I said it once, I will say it again. The fan bases of black qbs do not root for them as much as they "tolerate" them as long as they are winning. Don't believe me, look at Washington for proof, look at McNabb, look a Vince Young.

You think our fan base would tolerate Newton if he was Matthew Stafford? What about Tannehill? or Cutler? What about Ryan? You think the Carolina fan base would even entertain the thought of giving Newton Stafford's contract with anything less than a Superbowl win? Think again.

The 49ers fan base does not root for Kapernick. Neither does Seattle's for Wilson. Or Washington for Griffin. In fact, much like those on this very website, SOME "fans" would prefer to lose so that said QBs can be replaced ASAP.

Think I am crazy, why don't you venture over to the Lions, Dolphins, or Bears message board. You will find a host of their fans defending their QB because they actually root for their individual as well as team success.

The same thing will happen to whatever team Teddy Bridgewater and Tahj Boyd goes too. Count Jameis Winston and Brett Hundley too. If those fan bases do not experience instant team success along with superior qb play, those fan bases will revolt...

Just like Carolina has/wants to do for the past 3 seasons.

I said it once, I will say it again. The fan bases of black qbs do not root for them as much as they "tolerate" them as long as they are winning. Don't believe me, look at Washington for proof, look at McNabb, look a Vince Young.

You think our fan base would tolerate Newton if he was Matthew Stafford? What about Tannehill? or Cutler? What about Ryan? You think the Carolina fan base would even entertain the thought of giving Newton Stafford's contract with anything less than a Superbowl win? Think again.

The 49ers fan base does not root for Kapernick. Neither does Seattle's for Wilson. Or Washington for Griffin. In fact, much like those on this very website, SOME "fans" would prefer to lose so that said QBs can be replaced ASAP.

Think I am crazy, why don't you venture over to the Lions, Dolphins, or Bears message board. You will find a host of their fans defending their QB because they actually root for their individual as well as team success.

The same thing will happen to whatever team Teddy Bridgewater and Tahj Boyd goes too. Count Jameis Winston and Brett Hundley too. If those fan bases do not experience instant team success along with superior qb play, those fan bases will revolt...

Extremely sad but true none the less

Jesus...

I don't really know if this is true anymore.  Time will tell, but I think you're wrong.  This fanbase was largely supportive of Cam through two seasons of losing, though there were vocal assholes that weren't.

RG3 lost his fan base because of his play and his comments, and he'll get them back as soon as he is healthy and shows what he's capable of again.

I don't really know if this is true anymore.  Time will tell, but I think you're wrong.  This fanbase was largely supportive of Cam through two seasons of losing, though there were vocal assholes that weren't.

RG3 lost his fan base because of his play and his comments, and he'll get them back as soon as he is healthy and shows what he's capable of again.

RG3 is the only qb exempt mainly due to him running his mouth and bad play. However...

49ers have been getting on Kaep at a ridiculous level

Seahawks gave Russell a hell of a hard time last year and even downplaying his game this year

There will always be people that see nothing but race (and their not all white). But I wouldn't stereotype the entire fan base that way. There are certain cultural things like towel on head, celebrating first downs, and post game press conferences that our fan base doesn't see eye to eye on. But I'd like to think this thread is about performance. I'd like to think we don't evaluate performance with racial bias.

You think if Tannehill or Luck or Dalton did what Griffin did last year...came but off of injury with the WORST defense in the NFL this year...do you think their fan base will stand for a head coach that has one playoff victory in 15 years to turn around and bench that QB the next season?

Let's be honest.

Hell you think Chip Kelly could bench Foles next year if they get to a playoffs this year? You think the Eagles will stand for that?

How about this: 3 number one (drafted) qbs had nasty "divorces" from their mediocre Head Coaches whereby the fans seem to be in favor of the move:

Griffin

Freeman

Vince Young

Now tell me, what does all there have in common? And mind you 2 were ROY, and lead their teams recently to a playoffs.

Archived