• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lovie Smith leading candidate for Bucs job; things are about to get real hectic in the NFC south.

Rags

well to be fair Rivera was highly recommended but wasn't who Lovie wanted.  The more simple rumor I'd heard was that, after something like six interviews in two years, Lovie didn't want the distraction and so he simply didn't renew his contract. 

Smith's a decent coach.  He's just a little outdated in philosophy, that Tampa 2 stuff where you're just physically more talented and always execute doesn't work all the time now.   He's never had that good of an offense under him either.   He's rumored to link to Jeff Tedford, and Tedford's a quality coach and a good developer of QBs, but you combine a pro style college guy with a DC type who puts the brakes on the offense all the time, and you get a pretty lame offense. 

So, sure.  The NFCS can be one of those conferences where the worst team is 7-9, and that's happened.  I don't think Smith makes Tampa dominant however. 

well to be fair Rivera was highly recommended but wasn't who Lovie wanted. The more simple rumor I'd heard was that, after something like six interviews in two years, Lovie didn't want the distraction and so he simply didn't renew his contract.

Smith's a decent coach. He's just a little outdated in philosophy, that Tampa 2 stuff where you're just physically more talented and always execute doesn't work all the time now. He's never had that good of an offense under him either. He's rumored to link to Jeff Tedford, and Tedford's a quality coach and a good developer of QBs, but you combine a pro style college guy with a DC type who puts the brakes on the offense all the time, and you get a pretty lame offense.

So, sure. The NFCS can be one of those conferences where the worst team is 7-9, and that's happened. I don't think Smith makes Tampa dominant however.

If I recall correctly, Tedford's QBs always struggled once they got to the pros.

I'd say Aaron Rodgers did OK. 

as a guy who followed Tedford, I think part of it is that he's not with them anymore.  He 'fixes' them with radical ideals (I remember him compacting Kyle Boller's throwing motion by tying his forearm and upper arm together) that no one else really does.  Of course, I'd rather you be right, because if he's in Tampa he can burn in the fiery depths of hell (and I don't just mean living in Tampa).  But I think Tedford's achilles heel will be Lovie Smith.  

Smith could get the leftovers if Monte Kiffin and staff are let go in Dallas, and it seems like that's a waiting game, but I'm not at all afraid of Smith and any DC going in with Goldson, Barron, and Revis and making them play Tampa 2 all day.  Be my freaking guest. 

Gotcha

While that makes sense, Chicago only had one top 10 offense in Smith's 9 seasons as Chicago's HC.

and we currently rank 26th in offense, sitting at 12-4, NFC South Champs and the #2 seed overall for the playoffs...you're not exactly making a good point with that

A lot of people here wanted Lovie if Ron was to be fired earlier in the year, I think he could have the Bucs lookin' good with the players they have in place...

Plus Lovie tried finding that "creative" OC in Martz...and the exact same thing happened that happened with us and Chud except they won more games...

and we currently rank 28th in offense, sitting at 12-4, NFC South Champs and the #2 seed overall for the playoffs...you're not exactly making a good point with that

A lot of people here wanted Lovie if Ron was to be fired earlier in the year, I think he could have the Bucs lookin' good with the players they have in place...

Plus Lovie tried finding that "creative" OC in Martz...and the exact same thing happened that happened with us and Chud except they won more games...

And that rarely happens (bolded)... by the way we are 18th in points (while that's not good); the Bears offense struggled to reach the rank of 14th in points under Smith.

I'd also like to point out that before these last three weeks our offense looked fine... Unfortunately Shula has struggled a bit over the past few weeks.

Lovie had nine seasons (not three), nine seasons to field an effective offense that could win that team a Super Bowl and he never did.

Once again, I never said Lovie was a bad coach... I personally believe he is a good coach but I don't think he will ever win a Super Bowl (just my opinion).

Well I'm torn between hoping that he does and does not take Chud down to Tampa. If Chud gets a competent quarterback under him then Tampa could have a solid team with Lovie at the helm.

Chud showed he can be a good OC when he is not trying to audition for a job.

I understand some players don't like him but the guy is smart, he's just too fickle sometimes.

I'd say Aaron Rodgers did OK.

as a guy who followed Tedford, I think part of it is that he's not with them anymore. He 'fixes' them with radical ideals (I remember him compacting Kyle Boller's throwing motion by tying his forearm and upper arm together) that no one else really does. Of course, I'd rather you be right, because if he's in Tampa he can burn in the fiery depths of hell (and I don't just mean living in Tampa). But I think Tedford's achilles heel will be Lovie Smith.

Smith could get the leftovers if Monte Kiffin and staff are let go in Dallas, and it seems like that's a waiting game, but I'm not at all afraid of Smith and any DC going in with Goldson, Barron, and Revis and making them play Tampa 2 all day. Be my freaking guest.

Rodgers is a success.

But besides Boller, Tedford also tutored David Carr, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington and Trent Dilfer.

That's not a resume' I'd hang my hat on.

Man Ron would love to kick this dude's ass twice a year after how he was treated. Ron single handedly won that team a Super Bowl and then was kicked to the curb because of Lovie's ego.

Bears defensive ranks:

2004: 21st overall

2005 (Rivera): 1st overall

2006 (Rivera): 3rd overall

2007: 16th overall

2008: 16th overall

2009: 22nd overall

Archived