• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Catalyst Mock 1.0

Catalyst

First post-season mock. I'm including a Greg Hardy trade here as I think that's what we'll end up doing. I don't see a team that looks likely to give up a 1st rounder that's not picking top-10 and since that seems unlikely, I gave us a 2nd rounder for him from Oakland. It's possible we'd get a future 2nd as well, but for this mock we have an extra 2nd.

Also, I'm not clear what the deal is with the Beason pick since it was conditional. I included it here, but I may be wrong there. Anyway, here it is:

1st: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt: It seems increasingly unlikely that we'll end up with a shot at Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, or Kelvin Benjamin, who I expect to rise pre-draft. That said, Jordan Matthews is the most NFL-ready WR we can realistically expect to take at the end of the 1st round. He may never be Megatron, but he will be a very productive NFL wideout, IMO.

2nd (f/OAK): Cyril Richardson, OG/OT, Baylor: I'll preface this by saying that I think we'll re-sign Jordan Gross to a short-term deal to shore up the LT spot while we fill other needs. I am and have been very high on Richardson. He's better suited to play guard, IMO, but also has potential at right tackle. This means he can be plugged in at right guard or replace Byron Bell at right tackle. Either way, instant upgrade along the OL.

2nd: Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor: Surprised? You shouldn't be. As unbelievable as it seems given the sheer amount of money we've sunk into this position, RB is now a need. Stewart can't stay healthy, DeAngelo is getting older and is not the back he once was, and one or both could be released anyway. I really like Lache Seastrunk. Baylor has a recent history of sending quality players to the NFL and if Seastrunk is available this late, I'd take him in a second.

3rd: Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State: I don't see Gettleman investing in a corner until around this point and Reynolds is a guy I think really fits our style on defense. He may never be a shutdown corner, but he'll be a quality nickel guy and that's important in today's NFL.

4th: Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford: OK, so we've traded the Kraken and need to add some depth at DE. I assume Addison would take over for him as the starter, but we need to look for someone who has big upside in the mid-rounds and Gardner is that guy. If not for his injury he'd probably be going a lot higher.

5th: Isaiah Lewis, SS, Michigan State: I think we'll bring back Mitchell, but Mikell is likely gone and Robert Lester could use some competition. Enter Isaiah Lewis. If nothing else I feel like he'd be good depth if Lester ends up taking hold of the starting gig.

6th: Alex Bullard, OG/C, Tennessee: We can always use depth on the OL and Bullard could play either guard or center. If we don't re-sign Jeff Byers we'll need someone who can backup Ryan Kalil.

7th (f/NYG): Preston Brown, LB, Louisville: More linebacker depth. I figure between him and A.J. Klein we'll have some quality depth and special teams players and in the 7th round what else can you realistically expect?

7th: Chris Coyle, TE, Arizona State: A project player here who could potentially play WR or TE depending on his weight. I think he could be a good role player to have around as a receiving TE personally.

That was the idea, yeah. I figure we'll re-sign Gross, Ginn, Captain, Mitchell, & Gano for sure. I didn't assume anyone else.

In free agency I figure we can pick up a veteran WR, though not a big name as the names don't exactly jump out at you, do they? Eric Decker's a good player, but he'll want #1 WR money and he just isn't an elite receiver. Maybe we luck out and get James Jones on the cheap because of his age or Nicks on a hometown discount or Maclin, who just said today he's willing to take a 1-year deal to prove himself after his injury.

In any event, the idea would be to have Smitty, Ginn, the FA veteran, and Jordan Matthews as our top WR's. Although, my dream scenario is still that we trade for a true #1 WR; someone like a Josh Gordon, but that seems unlikely. I'm just not real big on this crop of FA receivers. I wish there was a Vincent Jackson type available, but it seems the real value at WR is in the draft. I almost doubled-down on WR with Matthews & Brandin Cooks out of Oregon State instead of Lache Seastrunk in the 2nd, who could be a big-time playmaker, IMO.

Only thing I disagree with is Seastrunk, While he is talented and RB's is something we will still have to replace Hardy.

The front 7 of the team is still the heart of the team,  instead of grabbing Seastrunk a DE is a Must early

Dream Scenario for me would be get a 2nd and 3rd for Hardy.

1st: Pryor- falls to must take him runs through anybody covers well, as seattle has shown have to be physical with TE's thats how they shut down Graham.  We like to Blitz, he blitzes its going to be like another LB hitting the QB.  Those small underneath routes that peel our zone our the sideline.  This headhunter will make those very difficult

2nd: Richardson (I Can live with)- Staff and Gettleman still high on Kug, so you can start Richardson out RT if Kugg Struggles can slide inside.  Kug stays healthy and good as staff feels, that right side will be a road grader.  might get our last little taste of smash and dash.

2nd: WR  Matthews, Benajamin, Moncrief one will be there- Need Weapon out of this Stud class to Grow with Cam

3rd: Kareem Martin- another athletic DE to fit in Hardy's Shoes on this talented line

3rd: CB- several good options to choose here both young corners with that upside learning under Tillman will be very very good for us

4th: Jean-Baptiste good athlete who should Progress well under coach rivera and a Vet Corner like Tillman

5th: Depth

7th: Crowell- Risk take. RB is going to be a Big need in 2015, might as well take a shot at one now.

Add a cheap vet WR like Nicks and Vet CB Tillman.  Fixed the DBs night and day, Cam has more Weapons than he's ever had.  Beef up that line.  and replaced Hardy with a Serviceable DE

Good mock.

Matthews, Richardson, Seastrunk (Shady McCoy 2.0), Reynolds, and Lewis are all great picks!

Add in a veteran wideout (Nicks / Maclin / Jones / Tate), a vet CB (Tillman), and possibly a pass rusher (Tuck) and it'd be great.

This is about the third post of the FA you wish we could sign, we would only have room to sign at the most two of those without Hardy. With him, none unless it's an absolute steal.

This is about the third post of the FA you wish we could sign, we would only have room to sign at the most two of those without Hardy. With him, none unless it's an absolute steal.

Who's to said that I cant keep posting my FA wishlist? You? Yea right. Tell me again.

We're under the cap right now. Assuming we're parting way with Hardy, cut Dwill, cut Godfrey, and restructure some other guys we should def have enough money to bring in more than two guys.

We were way over the cap this past offseason and Gman managed to bring in: Mitchell, Mikell, Wharton, Flo, Ginn, Hixon, Blackburn, Cole, and resigned Dwan.

Also, we should not have to give an arm or leg for the guys I listed. All of them should be able to be had under 1 year deals: Nicks, Tillman, Saffold, and Tuck. These guys has no leverage. Teams are not going to give them a long term contract.

You people will be disappointed IMO with Matthews as a 1st round pick. Not elite size, not elite hands, not elite speed. Not a 1st round pick. Evans, Watkins and MAYBE KB if he runs well are 1st rounders. Nobody else. We'll get a good player at either WR, OT, or CB in the 1st but Matthews isn't a 1st rounder.

You people will be disappointed IMO with Matthews as a 1st round pick. Not elite size, not elite hands, not elite speed. Not a 1st round pick. Evans, Watkins and MAYBE KB if he runs well are 1st rounders. Nobody else. We'll get a good player at either WR, OT, or CB in the 1st but Matthews isn't a 1st rounder.

I agree with you if the draft were held today.  By draft time I suspect his stock will rise though.  

Who's to said that I cant keep posting my FA wishlist? You? Yea right. Tell me again.

We're under the cap right now. Assuming we're parting way with Hardy, cut Dwill, cut Godfrey, and restructure some other guys we should def have enough money to bring in more than two guys.

We were way over the cap this past offseason and Gman managed to bring in: Mitchell, Mikell, Wharton, Flo, Ginn, Hixon, Blackburn, Cole, and resigned Dwan.

Also, we should not have to give an arm or leg for the guys I listed. All of them should be able to be had under 1 year deals: Nicks, Tillman, Saffold, and Tuck. These guys has no leverage. Teams are not going to give them a long term contract.

You obviously can post all you want, I'm inspired by people who shoot for the stars but the math doesn't work. Do some quick research on the salaries that were paid this year. Cutting DWill nets us nothing and carries big dead money, Godfrey we get a little over 2M after his guaranteed. By not bringing Hardy back we get less than 2M. All of this with the current space adds up to be 16-20M. We have 21 FA or spots to fill, that's less than 1M a player. Gman had to bring in almost all of our FA in under 1M just to make it work last year, he will have to do the same again this year. We might can stretch and get 2 of those guys for 2-3M, which is really conservative, but that puts us paying the other 19 guys with 16M. Try to squeeze all four to 2M, that leaves 12M to pay 17 players with. This isn't counting the few M we need to carry over for Cam's new contract or resigning our good players.

I could keep going, but I got tired of trying to convince a dreamer.

You obviously can post all you want, I'm inspired by people who shoot for the stars but the math doesn't work. Do some quick research on the salaries that were paid this year. Cutting DWill nets us nothing and carries big dead money, Godfrey we get a little over 2M after his guaranteed. By not bringing Hardy back we get less than 2M. All of this with the current space adds up to be 16-20M. We have 21 FA or spots to fill, that's less than 1M a player. Gman had to bring in almost all of our FA in under 1M just to make it work last year, he will have to do the same again this year. We might can stretch and get 2 of those guys for 2-3M, which is really conservative, but that puts us paying the other 19 guys with 16M. Try to squeeze all four to 2M, that leaves 12M to pay 17 players with. This isn't counting the few M we need to carry over for Cam's new contract or resigning our good players.

I could keep going, but I got tired of trying to convince a dreamer.

Well, right now if I am getting the correct information we currently has 16.2mil. Cutting Godfrey right now will get us 2mil and cutting Dwill would carry big dead money like you said above.

but making both of them as "June 1" cuts save us 5mil for Godfrey and another 2mil for Dwill. Moving our cap number to 23.3 mil. Assuming that some other guys will help restructure their contracts, we should have more to come.

I'm clearly already am shooting for the stars. Thank you.

I could keep going, but I got tired of trying to convince a sleeper.

Archived