• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"True Detective" HBO Premier

Anybodyhome

Great episode.

Harrelson needs to kick it up a notch though to match the rest of the cast imho.

Idk, I think Harrelson is killing it in his own right. When it comes to the distraught narcissist trying to get his family back, his perfromance is pretty powerful. The hospital confrontation was really strong.

And as others have said, I've studied film and I got so enveloped in that last scene that I didnt even realize it was a continuous tracking shot. I was on the edge of my seat when the shadows started showing up through all the windows and he had to make a decision.... intense!

The director and producer of True Detective is 36 year-old Cary Fukanaga.  I'm not familiar with any of his previous work, but he was a cinematographer before he turned to directing. 

This makes a lot of sense, as the True Detective visuals tell almost as much a story as the writing.

I think it was during the second episode when they found the abandoned church,  I said to myself, "this set design is amazing."   I don't remember ever thinking that while watching a "TV" show. 

I give all the credit to Fukanaga.  The show just looks beautiful on screen.

Supposedly Fukanaga is set to write and direct the big screen adaptation of Stephen King's IT.

If True Detective is any indication of Fukanaga's ability to create a chilling atmosphere and intensity, his version of IT will be one of the creepiest movies ever.

So I have never watched a series (Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, etc.) and I was talking at work today about The Dallas Buyers Club and how great of an actor Matthew Mcconaughey is. Anyway, a guy at work tells me about this show and also says Woody Harrelson is in i t(who I also love) so it peaked my interest. After reading through this and listening to him, I think I will watch the first 3 episodes and see what I think.  

So I have never watched a series (Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, etc.) and I was talking at work today about The Dallas Buyers Club and how great of an actor Matthew Mcconaughey is. Anyway, a guy at work tells me about this show and also says Woody Harrelson is in i t(who I also love) so it peaked my interest. After reading through this and listening to him, I think I will watch the first 3 episodes and see what I think.

You're gonna want to watch the fourth episode.

Oh ok, I thought there were only 3 so far. I'll have to see how many I have available on Movie Box.

I like the first 3 a lot, but the 4th episode is so freaking good. I've convinced like 10 people to start watching this and made them all promise to watch through at least 4

Archived