• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Talks: Okafor for Chandler

what_she_said

lol it doesn't take a gm to realize how dumb it is to trade for a player who has worst stats and didn't play in half the games of the player you're trading.

I've lost at interest in the Bobcats.

This is my line of thinking. Big men in the nba that are injury prone usually don't just snap out of it. I think scott fowler is the only person on the interwebs that thinks this is a good trade

This is all about saving 40 million two years from now. But at the same time the Hornets did make it deep in the playoffs a few years ago with him playing in a much taller western confrence. Im not saying I like it but for the most part the trades that Larry Brown has made thus far have worked out pretty well. This makes me feel like they are willing to take steps back in order to lose less money. Check back in 6 months to see if this was really worth it.

Oke has 7-1 player skills in a 6-9 player's body. He is solid but not spectacular and is one of those guys that isn't going to put you over the top like you would expect from a 12 mil/yr player. MJ screwed up by giving him so much money and now this is the price the team has to pay for that.

I can only hope MJ has learned his lesson and doesn't throw 8 mil/yr at Felton.

This trade is picking up a salary for 1 year and dumping Okafors longterm salary. Brown doesn't think Okafor can score consistently and the Bobcats are being sold so dumping that salary improves the bottom line. It isn't that the Bobcats think that Chandler is the long term answer. THis jusr solves one issue which that Brown think Okafor isn't worth what we are paying him.

Guest BradThomas

I always thought Okafor handled himself with great professionalism. He was a great first pick for a new franchise ... well spoken and hard working.

But at the time of the pick, the reason the Orland Magic passed on Okafor wasn't because Dwight Howard was better, it was because Okafor had already been defined and his limitations were known.

His offensive game has always been suspect, and his shot was blocked far too often. It always looked laborious to see Okafor handle the ball away from the basket. It wasn't natural.

Defensively, he was a very good roubounder and an above average shot blocker.

The problem wasn't anything he did on the court, it's what they were paying him to do it.

They've in essence swapped him for a similar guy who in the long run saves them money (although if they want to resign Chandler, he will undoubtedly be more expensive). Will Chandler be any worse on the court when healthy? I don't think so.

Charlotte will miss Emeka Okafor's professionalism on and off the court.

I always thought Okafor handled himself with great professionalism. He was a great first pick for a new franchise ... well spoken and hard working.

But at the time of the pick, the reason the Orland Magic passed on Okafor wasn't because Dwight Howard was better, it was because Okafor had already been defined and his limitations were known.

His offensive game has always been suspect, and his shot was blocked far too often. It always looked laborious to see Okafor handle the ball away from the basket. It wasn't natural.

Defensively, he was a very good roubounder and an above average shot blocker.

The problem wasn't anything he did on the court, it's what they were paying him to do it.

They've in essence swapped him for a similar guy who in the long run saves them money (although if they want to resign Chandler, he will undoubtedly be more expensive). Will Chandler be any worse on the court when healthy? I don't think so.

Charlotte will miss Emeka Okafor's professionalism on and off the court.

That is what concerns most people. However, two years ago, Okafor was questioned about his ability to play an entire season and he answered the critics. Maybe we get lucky with Chandler but this is a big short term risk.

You know, I dont love the move, but I do trust LB's great basketball mind. History has shown that once LB got the keys to drive, he has steered us is a better direction than we were heading. EO was a slightly above average player on a team that stuggles the way the Bobcats have struggled. This team had a few years with horrible leadership and FO. Now you have a person like LB, who is obviously above and beyond 90% of all of the basketball coaches in the league making the calls. Bobcat fans, sit back, give this trade some time to work out. Some people are pushing the panic button WAY early. Give me one move that LB has made, since he took over, that was a bad idea.

When I first heard of this deal I was pissed off. Okafor has been the classiest athlete Charlotte has seen since Sam Mills. Once I started to think ab it some more it makes sense to me. Taking injuries out of consideration Chandler is a better fit for our team. He's a true center unlike Okafor and can defend the larger centers in the league. We don't lose anything on the defensive end and gain some more offensive ability. I think Okafor is more of a pure rebounder then Chandler but he's no scrub at getting boards. Going back to taking injuries out I trust our team Dr's and if they feel he's healthy I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I hope we can also throw Nazr in the deal but I doubt NO wants that contract.

As for contracts this helps free up money down the road too. Chandler has 2 yrs left at about 12mil a pop compared to Okafor with 5yrs left. This will also open up our offense ratehr then being more of a half court set. Chandler can get up and run and will really open things up for Raymond (assuming he's back) Bell, and Diaw.

And lets all keep in mind this isn't Jordan pulling off another dumb trade this is LB's call and the trades and he's shown with the trades last yr he knows a little more then MJ.

I like this trade. Meka has peaked and gets payed a lot. You guys forget last year was the first full year Meka played for us? He is just as injury prone as Chandler. Chandler is bigger and way more athletic, and can put up just about the same numbers as Meka. Meka was a good center, but he struggles against bigger ones. We get Chandler for a couple of years and if it doesn't work, fine.

Archived