• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Next Steve Smith

JawnyBlaze

..is not Cooks, is not Ellington, or any of these other really small guys.  If ANYONE in this draft compares to Smitty, in my opinion it's OBJ.

Yea, OBJ is smallish like Steve, but that's not where I'm drawing the comparison.  He's not even SUPER small or anything, just a couple inches under the ideal minimum.  Build-wise, he's more compact and "stocky" like Smitty, not skinny like Cooks or Tavon Austin or any of these other little guys compared to Smitty lately.  In his game, watch his cuts after catching a hook or a curl.  Numerous times in that video I thought I was looking at alternate universe Steve the way he caught the curl, and juked back the opposite way to pick up a lot of extra yards.  Not a jitterbug like Reggie Bush or Cooks or Austin but good elusiveness like Steve.  Good at just slipping through tackle attempts, being just out of reach to get a good hold on.  Great body control.  Hands like glue.  Very good routes.  Good at high pointing the ball, good hops for his size (though I haven't seen anything to indicate he's as quite good as Smitty at this).  From what little I could tell, seems to be a bit fiery too (though maybe I'm trying to see that one, to further the parallels).  He doesn't so much have long speed like a Cordarelle Patterson or Calvin Johnson, he's got "not gonna get caught from behind" speed and shiftyness. 

In short, I'm not saying "omg guys this IS the next Steve Smith!"  But of all the WRs to come out in the past few years, I'd say he's the closest I've seen.  Like him a lot, one of my top choices at #28 if he's there (I think he could very easily be the third or fourth WR taken).

In before "Steve Smith is the next Steve Smith"

OBJ is a straight up playmaker.  If Cooks gets hyped up enough and Benj is too good to pass up for someone, Beckham could be ours for the taking and I'd love it.  I'd actually take him over both anyways if it was me making the decisionione. 

You know, I agree with you and everything, but I don't think there will ever be another player like Steve Smith.. Players will come out of the draft that play similar though. Smitty is one of those legends that plays like nobody else, his style is his own.

If a player ever comes out with the same personality as Smitty I'd draft them in a second.

Archived