• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Big people beat up little people"

top dawg

How many Vincent Jackson's and Calvin Johnson's are there out there? The big CB is taking away the big WR advantage--Benjamin was a stud vs. smaller college CBs, but in the big leagues, I am not so sure size alone is going to cut it. He better develop some hands and learn to run routes.

How many teams have a 6'5 240lb pound CB?

How many teams have a 6'5 240lb pound CB?

No, I see your point, but  a 6'5" 240 WR vs. a 5'10" 188 College CB is a mismatch.  A 6'5" 240 WR vs. a 6'1" 210 CB levels the field a lot.  When the field is level, talent becomes the factor, not size.  If size was that important we would have 3 TEs who are 6'6" 250 and can run a 4.65 40 out wide on third and 12.

With Benjamin, you could have a very special player--in a year or 2.  He is raw, and that means he has potential.  I have a pretty good idea, and I think you might agree, that we are looking for less of a project.

I think Benjamin will not be as good as people think.  He passes the eyeball test, but he has a long way to go

No, I see your point, but a 6'5" 240 WR vs. a 5'10" 188 College CB is a mismatch. A 6'5" 240 WR vs. a 6'1" 210 CB levels the field a lot. When the field is level, talent becomes the factor, not size. If size was that important we would have 3 TEs who are 6'6" 250 and can run a 4.65 40 out wide on third and 12.

With Benjamin, you could have a very special player--in a year or 2. He is raw, and that means he has potential. I have a pretty good idea, and I think you might agree, that we are looking for less of a project.

I think Benjamin will not be as good as people think. He passes the eyeball test, but he has a long way to go

If you look at the FA signing they are bringing in players to help with the transition. Most of the guys got 1 or 2 year deals.

Also let's remember not to many teams have 6'1 220lb cb. The Avg. Size of NFL cb is still 5'10 200lb. He is a mismatch when he steps on the field day 1.

If you look at the FA signing they are bringing in players to help with the transition. Most of the guys got 1 or 2 year deals.

Also let's remember not to many teams have 6'1 220lb cb. The Avg. Size of NFL cb is still 5'10 200lb. He is a mismatch when he steps on the field day 1.

Where did you get the ave CB stats?  I would have guessed bigger.  However the average is not that important, the trending to the bigger CBs is.  Size is the reason he is a low first round pick--not his skill set.  However, a lot of big WRs struggle in the NFL.  It's a crap shoot--with Benjamin , the upside is there, and I wonder if people who pass on him will not regret it in 4 years.  For our situation right now, I would pass on him if a more polished WR were on the table.

Just my gut.  Who really knows?  WR is the most difficult position to gauge, which is why so many bust.

Where did you get the ave CB stats? I would have guessed bigger. However the average is not that important, the trending to the bigger CBs is. Size is the reason he is a low first round pick--not his skill set. However, a lot of big WRs struggle in the NFL. It's a crap shoot--with Benjamin , the upside is there, and I wonder if people who pass on him will not regret it in 4 years. For our situation right now, I would pass on him if a more polished WR were on the table.

Just my gut. Who really knows? WR is the most difficult position to gauge, which is why so many bust.

The league is trending to the bigger CB but only a few teams have them and the trend still hasn't gotten to players covering 6'5 240lb. Most of your 6'1 Cb are equipped to cover 6'2 and 6'3 players not 6'5 players who outweigh them as well.

I just think the kid day one is a mismatch and with Proehl training him. He could be something truly special.

The league is trending to the bigger CB but only a few teams have them and the trend still hasn't gotten to players covering 6'5 240lb. Most of your 6'1 Cb are equipped to cover 6'2 and 6'3 players not 6'5 players who outweigh them as well.

I just think the kid day one is a mismatch and with Proehl training him. He could be something truly special.

Then who covers TEs?   

If CBs are getting bigger, then it seems to me the smart thing is to get smaller and faster..

I am just not sold on the bigger WR because they are slower out of breaks and they lack the shake and bake the smaller guys have.  On the other hand, who is the best 4.3 40 WR you have ever seen? 

Calvin Johnson is a freak.  I do not see Benjamin being close to him.  I see Benjamin as a biscuit shy of Vernon Davis--a slower version of Davis with worse hands. 

Then who covers TEs?

If CBs are getting bigger, then it seems to me the smart thing is to get smaller and faster..

I am just not sold on the bigger WR because they are slower out of breaks and they lack the shake and bake the smaller guys have. On the other hand, who is the best 4.3 40 WR you have ever seen?

Calvin Johnson is a freak. I do not see Benjamin being close to him. I see Benjamin as a biscuit shy of Vernon Davis--a slower version of Davis with worse hands.

No he is no where near Megatron. I see more of a athletic Plaxcio Burress.

And the TE question is why Safeties and LB with coverage skills are becoming more of a valued position.

How many Vincent Jackson's and Calvin Johnson's are there out there? The big CB is taking away the big WR advantage--Benjamin was a stud vs. smaller college CBs, but in the big leagues, I am not so sure size alone is going to cut it. He better develop some hands and learn to run routes.

I think of his touchdown against Florida. The dude would not be denied. That said, he won't be a Panther. I hope we go young in the secondary.

Archived