• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hayward agrees to sign

You'd figure if we really thought they'd match we could put in a poison pill like Houston did some people that one year, but that makes it a pain to trade them later on.

Poison pilling only works because it shoots the first year of the deal up into the tax for the team trying to retain the RFA.Utah has so much cap room it wouldn't be possible. 

Yes, if they match Charlotte's offer then he stays in Utah. But he does not have to sign the long-term deal. He can basically hold out & play under a 1-year qualify offer with Utah, then become an unrestricted free agent next summer...

At least that's what Utah writers are saying. They think that's why Utah will seek a S&T or just let him walk.

Djjazzy, utah's beat reporter is saying from team execs that they will match and sign him to the offer sheet, Jazz not interested in S&T.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

Djjazzy, utah's beat reporter is saying from team execs that they will match and sign him to the offer sheet, Jazz not interested in S&T.

Aaron Falk of the Salt Lake Tribune is the team's beat writer.

That dude is a reporter for the team, but he thinks & speaks more like a fan of the team. Of course he says they're gonna match.

It just doesn't make any sense for Utah to match it. Not just saying it bc I want him here in Charlotte, but really. Utah are going to pay him a lot more than what they wouldve paid him if had given last year. They drafted Hood and I just now remember that they traded for Steve Novak. They're going to be stacked in the backcourt while biggest need is a Center. If Im Utah, why not go out and make a run at Greg Monroe?

It just doesn't make any sense for Utah to match it. Not just saying it bc I want him here in Charlotte, but really. Utah are going to pay him a lot more than what they wouldve paid him if had given last year. They drafted Hood and I just now remember that they traded for Steve Novak. They're going to be stacked in the backcourt while biggest need is a Center. If Im Utah, why not go out and make a run at Greg Monroe?

Because he's their best player.

Because they have over $30mil in cap space.

Because Monroe is a PF, not a C.

Just read his article and only came away with some of those impressions.  It seemed a bit opinion based to say the least.  I have felt like the offer sheet will be matched, but it will not be that easy for the Jazz.  

If the Jazz match they consider Hayward invaluable.  Instead of giving him what he asked before the deadline this past season they now have to sign him to a way less attractive deal than they could have.  Not only is the dollar amount greater, but the years on the deal and the clauses are things they would have never agreed to.  These are the type of decisions that GMs lose their jobs over.  Get a deal done before the deadline and avoid RFA.  Have him for cheaper and control him for longer.  Couldn't get it done now he finds a value else where.  This is a losing situation for the Jazz no matter the decision to match.

Hopefully Lance, Deng, or Parsons are still on the market by then if Utah matches it.

Lance would be a horrible fit beside MKG, not to mention he's a lunatic.

Luol is getting old & played like hot garbage last year.

Chandler isn't leaving Houston, & he's overrated anyway.

Hopefully Lance, Deng, or Parsons are still on the market by then if Utah matches it.

I doubt the agents for those players would sign anywhere else until they see how the Hayward situation plays out.  They see that Charlotte is willing to spend money and, if the Jazz match, the Hornets will be looking to pay someone else.

Those players and their camps will be keeping a close eye on this.

Archived