• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Dungy: "I wouldn't have taken him." (Michael Sam)

lindseyjw14

Dungy is a good guy. Anyone who is hating on him needs to get a life. He's entitled to his own opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Sure but that doesn't mean his statement isn't bigoted. I bet if Sam was 6'6 and ran a 4.3 40 Dungy wouldn't have an issue. I like Coach Dungy but he is wrong here.

Sent from my XT907 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Not sure what's going to happen but this is not good for Dungy no matter what he was trying to convey.

He can start collecting social security because he is done, and rightfully so. Bigotry can't be allowed to broadcast in our society. He can exercise his free speech on his own personal YouTube channel.

Dungy has sane reasons to do so. Why pick a player that is a media circus and is, at best, a late-round player who has no position and won't contribute immediately?

Brilliant. So since Sam isn't a top 5 pick he isn't worth the trouble. It's okay to be gay, but we don't won't you and your distractions on our team unless you're a superstar.

**1947**

"Hell yeah! I'll let Jackie Robinson play on my team! We don't mind the media distractions and negativity it might bring!"

"Nahh, we can't have ole LeRoy on the team. That ***** is mediocre and won't contribute to the team. I'm all for negros having rights, though. It's not worth all the distractions having a ***** player will bring."

edit:

n*gro is censored?

Its not different from a southern white football coach in 1960 not wanting black players on the team.

Yes, its different. Dont try to bridge civil rights and this. Dungy simply said he didnt want the distraction. What football coach does? He did not say that he didnt want gay players. Dont stretch his comments into something they are not.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Its not different from a southern white football coach in 1960 not wanting black players on the team.

No it's completely different. Black folks are born black, there's no hiding that. Homosexuals also aren't being persecuted by an entire populace, they're not getting lynched, sprayed with water hoses or attacked by dogs.

Tony Dungy just stated his opinion that he wouldn't want to deal with the circus. All of a sudden in this Country it's illegal for somebody to state their opinion and now he's a bigot.

Yes, its different. Dont try to bridge civil rights and this. Dungy simply said he didnt want the distraction. What football coach does? He did not say that he didnt want gay players. Dont stretch his comments into something they are not.

Holy crap. No comment.

No it's completely different. Black folks are born black, there's no hiding that. Homosexuals also aren't being persecuted by an entire populace, they're not getting lynched, sprayed with water hoses or attacked by dogs.

Tony Dungy just stated his opinion that he wouldn't want to deal with the circus. All of a sudden in this Country it's illegal for somebody to state their opinion and now he's a bigot.

And Black's weren't nearly wiped off the face of the planet by English & Spanish settlers. Maybe they should just get over it, too?

I really don't think him saying "I don't want to deal with it all" is against an orientation, race,gender, or Sam himself I think he is referring to all the media attention. That is an opinion that is ok to say seeing as it is not attacking a orientation, race, or gender. Now if he had said "I don't want to deal with it all because he is gay and don't want to deal with those people" then you would have a story and a Sterling 2.0. You have to admit it is a lot of media attention and who would want to deal with a constant media distraction over one person because orientation, race, gender or creed. It takes away from the team focusing on what they want to do which is get to the Superbowl which is what every team is aspiring to do this time of year. On top of that who wants to answer questions over and over and over about the same topic or person because again race, gender creed, or orientation. Its not fair to that person or the team. Do you think Riverboat wants to deal with questions about Hardy? No because it a distraction and takes away focus of the team. That type of media attention last an entire season and beyond.

Lmao ok

Brilliant. So since Sam isn't a top 5 pick he isn't worth the trouble. It's okay to be gay, but we don't won't you and your distractions on our team unless you're a superstar.

**1947**

"Hell yeah! I'll let Jackie Robinson play on my team! We don't mind the media distractions and negativity it might bring!"

"Nahh, we can't have ole LeRoy on the team. That ***** is mediocre and won't contribute to the team. I'm all for negros having rights, though. It's not worth all the distractions having a ***** player will bring."

edit:

n*gro is censored?

It's one thing to say that if Jadaveon Clowney said he was gay, he shouldn't be drafted. That would be fairly obvious bigotry. It's another to say a player who is a late round pick at best, literally has no defined position, had a terrible combine and is a media circus with a TV show in the waiting shouldn't be drafted. Why? Because by the late rounds it really doesn't matter. You can get a diamond in the rough, sure, but odds are you aren't getting a starter or even a major contributor. Why pick someone who isn't any better than the other players in that round, and gives you the added 'bonus' of constant media scrutiny no matter what you do with him?

And BTW, don't even pretend the country is treating gays right now anywhere near how badly they were treating blacks. That's an extremely ignorant statement to make. In all likelihood Dungy has coached gay players, who didn't distract his team.

He has a right to his opinion and his employer has a right to terminate him if they feel he has done or said something that hurts the imagine of the company. I hope NBC sends a message and fires him. His statement was bigoted and see as a society have an obligation to wash our hands with it.

Archived