• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kink in the Enemy Armor

Beast_3000

This is where Clayton loses respectability--

"Odds favor the Saints going 5-1 in the NFC South. If they beat the Atlanta Falcons on the road, they could go 6-0."

First of all, what odds maker is paying out if the Saints do not win 5 in the South? With Atlanta, Carolina and even the new-look Bucs in the division, giving any team a preseason 5-1 record at the least is stupid. He is suggesting that the Saints will undoubtedly sweep the 12-4 Panthers. Clayton is drinking all the Kool-Aid about the Panthers and has already dismissed them. He is a media parrot, nothing more.

Reasons for the Saints return to Mt. Olympus? Their DL. Brandon Cooks. The last time I checked, the Panthers have a pretty good DL and a pretty good rookie WR.

Yeh, that is a little steep. The truth is the Saints didn't really do THAT great against in New Orleans. We had terrible red zone efficiency early on in that game. Correct me if i a wrong, but with the additions of Dickson, Cotchery, KB, and the development of Swole we have got a lot more red zone targets. And if by an act of God, Stewart is ready to go, we are straight scary inside the 20. If we converted TDs instead of FGs we would have jumped out to a 14-0 lead, if im not mistaken. We are def not an easy win, far from automatic.

And if by an act of God, Stewart is ready to go, we are straight scary inside the 20. If we converted TDs instead of FGs we would have jumped out to a 14-0 lead, if im not mistaken. We are def not an easy win, far from automatic.

It says, in Revelations, that Stewie will play in 2014.  I think in chapter 8: "Two thousand, one dozen and a deuce years beyond the death of our savior, a Latina, African, and Euro will lead the army of 53 through the valley..  Black cats will sit eager and await the judgement. And the rested one will ascend upon high to carry the burden for the old and weary, for it is his destiny according to his rather generous contract."

To be honest, it is sweet that we are not getting positive press.  I think we are better than last year, even though I think our record last year was better than this team was.

Tampa has 4 28’s and a 30 if that means anything.

Atlanta may have improved with Matthews, Carimi and Asamoah

I haven't been worried about the Saints but I was a little jealous when they went out and signed Jarious Byrd. Found this article from the ESPN beat writer for the Saints. Their weakness happens to collide with our strength. This season will be interesting. Their starting guards and Brees all have small injuries too. When you are in your 30's injuries can become an issue in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp14/story/_/id/11321170/budding-talents-display-new-orleans-saints-camp

"5. Beware of the "Theory of 150": In 2007, I came up with the "Theory of 150." I was looking at an aging offensive line of the Chicago Bears, who were coming off a Super Bowl loss to Indianapolis. The starting offensive line had a combined age of 159, 31.4 per player. Four starters were in their 30s. Once a line gets that old, major repairs and a major drop-off are looming. I used the same theory for the Washington Redskins, Cowboys and Giants over the next few years.

A theory alert is developing for the Saints. Evans, Zach Strief and Grubbs are currently 30. At center, 35-year-old Jonathan Goodwin is competing against Tim Lelito. Armstead is 23. If Goodwin wins at center, the combined age of the line will be 152. This isn't to say the Saints won't be fine this year, but they are starting to get to the point where they must look toward the future. Payton places more value at guard than at tackle because the 6-foot Brees needs a clean pocket. If the pocket starts to collapse because of age, Brees could struggle."

If our sophomore defensive tackles take the leap we think they can we can disrupt Brees in that clean pocket he loves.

The "kink" is the total age of the Oline, yet we have a a guy at LT that was solid in playoffs and has been impressive in camp, two pro bowl guards in the prime of their careers, and a RT that was the highest grade RT in the league. The weaknesses last year were at LT and C which allowed a lot of the inside pressure that Brees does not do very well against. LT seems to be addressed with Armstead. Center DLP was let go because of faith in Lelito and Goodwin was brought in to compete as a solid veteran. Lelito appears to be the future and it's a close battle right now with Goodwin but someone made a real good writeup on SR about the battle at center:

Since the last off season the Saints have wanted to implement more zone blocking particularly outside zone runs. They made a specific hire for that, Dan Roushar our new running backs coach. Roushar is the former Michigan OC and they ran zone concepts there. He will have a heavy influence on the Saints zone scheme and we see this in the 2 players the Saints have acquired from Grand Valley State where one of Roushar's protege's coached. The scheme the Saints are planning to implement favors Lelito who was hand picked by Roushar who lobbied for him in the draft.

Lelito has a mean streak, he's nasty, he is out head hunting every play, and wants to make opponents pay. He lives from snap to snap to punish opponents. Check out him laying this hit on 6-3 350+ NT for the Cardinals Alameda

axaaj.gif

axa9w.gif

Here we have what looks like a zone play, Lelito combo blocks to help DLP and then blows to the 2nd level for the linebacker and then he completely washes him out. That's a Lelito/DLP combo, imagine he and Evans.:covri:

axa9b.gif

axa7r.gif

Here DLP and Lelito blow the hole wide open. Again imagine how often this will happen with a Evans Lelito combo!

axbgj.gif

axbir.gif

In conclusion, Lelito is built for this scheme. He is bigger and stronger than Goodwin. He is faster getting to the 2nd level, ask Niner's fans about Goodwin's severe decline in not only speed to the second level but also lateral quickness which is a key in zone blocking concepts. And behind all of that Lelito has a mean streak that intimidates and if we want to set the tone running the ball adding a guy with an attitude like that is only a plus.

I haven't watched the entire season, but the last 5 or so weeks Goody doesn't look like the same guy that left here. A LOT of interior pressure, he is slow to the 2nd level in the run game, and he has trouble with one on one blocks. Maybe the season wore on him, or he had a nagging injury. It just looks like there are clear signs of decline.

Archived