• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Cautionary Tale - Tampa Bay Opener

Jeremy Igo

I paid more attention to this draft than I have in years past. Really loved that pick. Didn't care for Evans at 7 value wise. Liked KB where he was picked more. Pleasantly surprised with Evans so far though. Didn't think his run after catch ability would translate as well as it has.

Also surprised by ASJ's character. Good dude, smart enough to impress everyone with how fast he picked up the offense even while missing some of the offseason due to NFL/college rules.

On topic though. I feel like a team that can spread their offense out and work the middle of the field will make it a lot easier on themselves against us. Our secondary has big play ability with Banks, Goldson, Barron, and Verner but they are inconsistent. Leonard Johnson at nickel gets bullied game in and game out and our linebackers are still a little iffy in zone.

Running the ball is always a part of success but against us, you wouldn't want to throw all your eggs in that basket. You will have to pass. And more importantly, take care of the ball. Our offense hasn't shown much in the way of sustaining long drives and through the preseason, we have scored a TD 75% of the time after turnovers so giving us good field position is even more key to a Tampa win than most teams.

Yep, points will likely be at a premium. The national, and some local, sentiment has snowballed into thinking you guys will win. Even Vegas has turned heel. One week ago I truly would have said it was a pick'em myself with Derek Anderson (a capable backup) possibly under center. Not that any of it matters. Now with Cam appearing to be better we have a huge advantage at the most important position, and, therefore, the football game IMO. Just take it easy on him, OK? Ha

From what I have seen, just put a double linemen up on McCoy then throw a running back at him to help and the others wont be an issue (if the past and preseason is any indication).  Our success as a team is dependent on if McCown can limit the head scratchers in degree and frequency and if the o line can put together an acceptable showing.  Our defense will be at least above average as a whole and we have weapons on offense.  A teams offense can only be as good as the o line allows them to be though.  If we can beat either ya'll or St Louis in these first two weeks, with those d lines, it will be a pretty good indication that we will be a solid team this year.

True, Deangelo hasn't made any plays in preseason, but here are some inconvenient stats for all of you who are so ready to push him all the way down the depth chart:

• Stewart's 2013 YPC = 3.8 (43 carries)
  • Tolbert's 2013 YPC = 3.6 (101 carries)
  • Whittaker's YPC on Thurs night's amazing game that has everyone so excited = 3.96 (23 carries)
  • Williams' 2013 YPC = 4.2 (201 carries)

So Williams, in addition to being the best Panthers RB ever, was our most productive back in our most recent season and even managed more YPC for that entire season than Fozzy did in his "breakout game." And let's not forget that Deangelo made one of the most explosive plays of the year in the passing game last season. If I'm coach, I keep him in the lineup until his regular season production dips.

This is a great post.  I will respond since people don't like to respond when you are speaking logically.  DWill has always had around a 4 yard average against 1st team Sunday NFL defenses.  Fozzy has ran decent against preseason bums for two games and he should be ahead on the depth chart.  Whitaker averaged like 2 yards per run when he got his shot when the bullets were real. 

Another Bucs fan here.

I have read some of the early comments in this thread where this game isn't supposed to be close, but a blow out favoring Panthers. I understand your optimism after a 12-4 season, facing a 4-12 team and I myself have my team losing in this game. But I think those ones predicting a one sided game are in for a disappointment.

There is not as much a talent differential between the Bucs and Panthers.

Offense:

QB: Panthers. Easily. One is a play maker while the other is a game manager. The game manager, based on how people around him are performing, can sometimes come out with a better performance. But if Panthers D forces McCown to carry his team and Bucs D forces Newton to carry his, Panthers easily have the advantage.

O-line: Push. Both units have new players and have seemingly struggled during the preseason.

Offensive weapons: Buccaneers. RBs is a push as the disaster that was last year we discovered some talented backups in Mike James and Rainey to the star Martin. The double trouble may be old and beat up, but they still are lethal if their line can block for them. As far as receivers go, its not even close. Panthers have one proven receiver in Olsen vs two in Bucs (Jackson and Myers), one with upside in Benjamin vs two in Evans and Seferian-Jenkins.

Defense:

D-line: Panthers. This one is not as easy as one may think. Panthers have great DEs, rock solid interior linemen and over all a top 5 unit. Bucs have one elite player that belongs to JJ Watt, Geno Atkins category in Gerald McCoy. Michael Johnson, a new addition does not always generate sacks, but has been regarded a big positive in pass rushing by PFF in the past. Overall the Bucs have a respectable D-line unit.  

LBs: Push. Yeah Kuechly, DPOY, I get it. But LaVonte David is as talented, if not more. Then you have some solid LBs in Davis and Foster on both teams, featuring in two of the best 4-3 LB units in the league.

Secondary: Buccaneers. They may have underperformed last year, but there is no denying the talent of Bucs' secondary. Now add in Verner and they field a respectable group. Panthers have Antoine Cason as ther starting CB.

Long story short I say there is a 60% chance Panthers win. Because I believe the defenses of both teams will pretty much neutralize running games and force QBs to carry their offense. Cam obviously will be better at it, despite shortage in offensive weapons. I believe the score will be like 20-13.

Another Bucs fan here.

I have read some of the early comments in this thread where this game isn't supposed to be close, but a blow out favoring Panthers. I understand your optimism after a 12-4 season, facing a 4-12 team and I myself have my team losing in this game. But I think those ones predicting a one sided game are in for a disappointment.

There is not as much a talent differential between the Bucs and Panthers.

Offense:

QB: Panthers. Easily. One is a play maker while the other is a game manager. The game manager, based on how people around him are performing, can sometimes come out with a better performance. But if Panthers D forces McCown to carry his team and Bucs D forces Newton to carry his, Panthers easily have the advantage.

O-line: Push. Both units have new players and have seemingly struggled during the preseason.

Offensive weapons: Buccaneers. RBs is a push as the disaster that was last year we discovered some talented backups in Mike James and Rainey to the star Martin. The double trouble may be old and beat up, but they still are lethal if their line can block for them. As far as receivers go, its not even close. Panthers have one proven receiver in Olsen vs two in Bucs (Jackson and Myers), one with upside in Benjamin vs two in Evans and Seferian-Jenkins.

Defense:

D-line: Panthers. This one is not as easy as one may think. Panthers have great DEs, rock solid interior linemen and over all a top 5 unit. Bucs have one elite player that belongs to JJ Watt, Geno Atkins category in Gerald McCoy. Michael Johnson, a new addition does not always generate sacks, but has been regarded a big positive in pass rushing by PFF in the past. Overall the Bucs have a respectable D-line unit.  

LBs: Push. Yeah Kuechly, DPOY, I get it. But LaVonte David is as talented, if not more. Then you have some solid LBs in Davis and Foster on both teams, featuring in two of the best 4-3 LB units in the league.

Secondary: Buccaneers. They may have underperformed last year, but there is no denying the talent of Bucs' secondary. Now add in Verner and they field a respectable group. Panthers have Antoine Cason as ther starting CB.

Long story short I say there is a 60% chance Panthers win. Because I believe the defenses of both teams will pretty much neutralize running games and force QBs to carry their offense. Cam obviously will be better at it, despite shortage in offensive weapons. I believe the score will be like 20-13.

What in the blue crystal fug are you smoking? Luke Kuechly is considered by not only Panthers fans, but anybody who watches the NFL PERIOD to be the best LB in the game right now. And David is "as talented, if not more"?

ChildPlease.jpg

What in the blue crystal fug are you smoking? Luke Kuechly is considered by not only Panthers fans, but anybody who watches the NFL PERIOD to be the best LB in the game right now. And David is "as talented, if not more"?

ChildPlease.jpg

True, Deangelo hasn't made any plays in preseason, but here are some inconvenient stats for all of you who are so ready to push him all the way down the depth chart:

• Stewart's 2013 YPC = 3.8 (43 carries)
  • Tolbert's 2013 YPC = 3.6 (101 carries)
  • Whittaker's YPC on Thurs night's amazing game that has everyone so excited = 3.96 (23 carries)
  • Williams' 2013 YPC = 4.2 (201 carries)

So Williams, in addition to being the best Panthers RB ever, was our most productive back in our most recent season and even managed more YPC for that entire season than Fozzy did in his "breakout game." And let's not forget that Deangelo made one of the most explosive plays of the year in the passing game last season. If I'm coach, I keep him in the lineup until his regular season production dips.

Better way to judge Williams is looking at his runs individually....than his ypc

7 failed runs vs 1 homerun isn't better than 6 consistent runs. Williams' production already has dipped. He now is a very inconsistent runner whose ypc can be deceiving. 1 run and 14 to nowhere is bad for an offense

Archived