• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

They just said Peppers was heading to Carolina

SCP

Has anyone in this thread actually took the time to see how much he ended up signing for?

Also I often see people reference Hardy's contract as a reason we didn't sign someone but you have to remember it is only a one year deal. We have a considerable amount of cap space already committed for next year even without Hardy.

Has anyone in this thread actually took the time to see how much he ended up signing for?

Also I often see people reference Hardy's contract as a reason we didn't sign someone but you have to remember it is only a one year deal. We have a considerable amount of cap space already committed for next year even without Hardy.

nope.jpg

The defensive end agreed to a three-year deal worth up to $30 million, his agent, Carl Carey, told ESPN's Josina Anderson. The deal includes $7.5 million in guaranteed money and will pay Peppers $8.5 million in salary for the first year, Carey told Anderson.

Link

That would've been so awesome.

Good thing we tagged Hardy for a huge number and didn't find a way to re-sign him to a smaller cap number for this year or trade him and then we'll let him walk for nothing this coming offseason... you know, like we totally didnt do with Peppers the first time around.

I'll jjst never understand the strategy behind tagging a guy one year, having him eat up all your cap space so you can't make other moves that would pay dividends long-term, and then not getting an extension done or making a trade.

Yeah, I''m salty. Would've loved to see Pep out there with Luke, Star, KK, CJ, TD, and possibly even Kraken...

Tagging a player increases your chance of getting an extension and gives you more time for a trade.  It does not guarantee either happening though.

It is easy to second guess it now but I would guess a lot of teams would have done the same thing.    The franchise tag is used as leverage by the team.  Most players hate playing under a one year contract because of the threat of injury. 

I don't think it is crazy to think that if Hardy wouldn't have had the off the field issues that maybe the two sides would have agreed on something. 

It could be worse.  Some GMs would have just overpaid from the start to sign him long term.

Archived