• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

'The Walking Dead' companion series

Darth Biscuit

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/05/walking-dead-companion-series/

EW can exclusively report that AMC has officially ordered a pilot set in the same zombie-plagued universe as TV’s top-rated drama series. The as-yet-untitled project will go into production later this year, and will be set in a different location than the original series and star a new cast of characters. (Since the characters are different, the series not technically a “spinoff.”)

Interesting.

I like the idea. Shows that are based on book sources are often overly-scrutinized and are often forced to write and shoot within the parameters of that other medium's setup. So, having a shot at the same show with no constraints where they can take complete liberty with it, it might actually pan out even better. Also, now with the popularity of the show, they may be able to attract higher level casting (not that I am pissed about the casting choices of the original series, because I personally feel they've done a great job).

We'll know within the first few episodes if it is worth it. I just hope I don't get burned out on the zombie apocalypse concept. It could prove to be just a bit much.

I like the idea. Shows that are based on book sources are often overly-scrutinized and are often forced to write and shoot within the parameters of that other medium's setup. So, having a shot at the same show with no constraints where they can take complete liberty with it, it might actually pan out even better. Also, now with the popularity of the show, they may be able to attract higher level casting (not that I am pissed about the casting choices of the original series, because I personally feel they've done a great job).

We'll know within the first few episodes if it is worth it. I just hope I don't get burned out on the zombie apocalypse concept. It could prove to be just a bit much.

Exactly.  I've been cricital of the show (mainly because of potential that was not met) but this could be a good reset.  I think it will be pretty cool in another part of the country.

I think another continent would have been cool as well.

There is also a new zombie show coming to sci-fi the 12th:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3843168/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

What happens if this show turns out to be more popular than the original? I mean, I doubt it...but what if?

What I would like to see happen is the spin-off having a few years of being totally independent, and then have a time-lapse between seasons that sets them on the same timeline as the original series. Then, the two shows collide. Then, in the aftermath, have them spin back out into their respective corners of TWD universe. Would be cool, especially if they can air the shows at the same time. Give you basically a 2 hour episode that gives you BOTH perspectives.

Then again, the above idea is VERY big and VERY complicated and most likely (99.9%) not ever going to happen. Still, cool to think about. I wouldn't mind this one being set up north or out west. 

Exactly.  I've been cricital of the show (mainly because of potential that was not met) but this could be a good reset.  I think it will be pretty cool in another part of the country.

I think another continent would have been cool as well.

There is also a new zombie show coming to sci-fi the 12th:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3843168/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

OK, I'm confused. How can "a group of heroes" transport "the only survivor"? Are they all younger than 3?

Z Nation starts three years after the zombie virus has gutted the country, a team of everyday heroes must transport the only known survivor of the plague from New York to California, where the last functioning viral lab waits for his blood.

• 3 months later...

TWD Spin-off to be located in LA

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/16/walking-dead-los-angeles/

The scenery shift to the West Coast adds some intriguing setting possibilities: Beaches and ocean, Hollywood, iconic landmarks, walker celebrities (though the cable show could likely never top Bill Murray in Zombieland), a nearby desert, and simply a larger metropolis to play with than the original hit’s occasional dips into Atlanta.

Archived