• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think Steeler fans are lubing up for Sunday already...

thunderraiden

You can not keep having poor year after year. 

It is the coaches job to motivate, coach, and scheme their way to success. 

With that said, for a proven HC like Tomlin, you def need to look at replacing the coordinators first. 

TOr look at who you are drafting.  Steelers have built their team through the draft and when you don't hit on all your picks you struggle.  Their offensive line historically has been weak.  They get little pressure from their defensive line.  Look at how great McDermott looks with our personnel this year versus how we looked in 2012 on defense for example.   Coordinators can only work with what they have.

Tony Dungy previews Steelers-Panthers :

“The offenses are almost mirror images. Big, strong quarterbacks who make a lot of plays by moving around…but the difference to me is on defense. Carolina has a young, physical, fast defense, and I believe Pittsburgh has gone the other way – aging and slowing down a little bit. Carolina’s defense is going to be the difference.”

TOr look at who you are drafting. Steelers have built their team through the draft and when you don't hit on all your picks you struggle. Their offensive line historically has been weak. They get little pressure from their defensive line. Look at how great McDermott looks with our personnel this year versus how we looked in 2012 on defense for example. Coordinators can only work with what they have.

Yeah the last couple years they went OL early in the draft. They have been ravaged with injuries.

Shazier is the best pick they have had in years

NBC Pro Football Talk's picks today:

Steelers at Panthers

MDS’s take : Kudos to the Panthers’ defense for the way it played on Sunday: Despite losing its best pass rusher, Greg Hardy , for off-field reasons on gameday morning, Carolina did a good job of slowing down a good Detroit passing attack. This Carolina team is better than most people realized.

MDS’s pick : Panthers 24, Steelers 13.

Florio’s take : The Panthers have longer aspired to be like the Steelers. Maybe the Panthers have gotten there. The Steelers are trying to find their way back to that. Maybe on Sunday night they should take a long look at the team on the other side of the field.

Florio’s pick : Panthers 20, Steelers 12.

ouch!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/18/pfts-week-three-picks-5/

Frankly, I can't believe that we are as good as we are. 

1. Our #1 WR is a rookie

2. Our secondary is nothing but undrafted guys or guys who are old or unwanted free agents. (We do have a 5th rounder at nickel)

3. Our Offensive line has an undrafted LT, a DT playing RT, and a rookie, third round RG (some time)

4. Our starting, pro bowl RDE is not on the roster right now

5. Our best RB is over 30

6. One of our best LBs has had 3 ACL surgeries on the same knee

7. At this time last year, our coach should have been fired

Should we be good?

Post on Steelers forum about their D:

Points against. 26.5PPG. Only seven teams are worse.

Sacks. Only seven teams have less.

Rushing defense. 170 yards per game. Only three teams are worse.

Interceptions. Zero. Tied for last.

Forced fumbled. Zero tied for last.

There is no count I am aware of for flags, but I would guess we are near the bottom here as well.

What do these numbers suggest? A soft defense that gives up a lot of points. A defense that can't rush the passer. A defense that can't stop the run. A defense that can't intercept the ball. A defense that does not hit hard enough to create fumbles. And an undisciplined defense that has stupid penalties.

This is what happens when players like James Harrison, Casey Hampton, and Aaron Smith are replaced by Jones, McClendon, and Thomas. Meanwhile a large portion of the cap goes to a declining players in Polamalu and Taylor. The Steelers big free agency move in Mitchell looks very shaky right now.

Can this defense be fixed with the current personnel? Sorry—I don't see it.

Archived