• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will you/ do you let your kid play football?

Brooklyn Bully

I'd push my kid to none traditional sports, like whitewater kayaking, love the sport, it's dangerous as fug but it's a great enough sport that I would want my kids to expirence it as well.

Seriously football is my 3rd, maybe 4th Favorite sport.

WTF?

Don't have a kid, nor do I know if I will let my future kids play. But I did play in high school & it was the best year of my life.

High school football coach (Independence) wouldn't let me play football in 9th grade. Told me I was too small (5'10 140lb) and not only an injury risk, but completely useless to his program. Yes, he actually said that to a 14-year-old kid. I spent the next 3 years eating & lifting weights like a possessed demon. Also ran track & played basketball. By the end of my JR year I was 6'1 185lb, ripped, & lightning fast. Same dick coach approached me at the end of 11th grade asking me to join the team and play my SR year. Told him I was moving to live with my dad & couldn't.

Yep, mom let me move back home to live with my dad. I wanted to go play football and graduate back home at Richmond Senior. Tha Raiders!!!I I got to play on a team that featured Junior DE/LB Melvin Ingram (USC, Chargers) and Senior RB Norman Whitley (ECU). I didn't start, but I did play a lot at CB & WR.... DE Dannell Ellerbe (UGA, Ravens, Dolphins) was an alumni there & spent time over the summer working out with us. WR Koren Robinson (NCSU, Seahawks, Alcoholics Anonymous) was another alum that spent time there over that summer.

Oh yeah, we also won the 2007 North Carolina 4AA State Championship.

Oh yeah, in the state championship game held at UNC we beat Independence & that same coach who was a complete dick to me 4 years earlier.

I may or may not have made an obscene gesture towards said Independence coach during the game after recovering a fumble. Cannot confirm.

Stuff happens...but I will say I am very cautious thinking about letting my 9yo play football.  At least until he starts growing hair in odds places.  Pre-teen development I want him to stay as healthy as possible.  You get behind early and you'll stay behind for the vast majority.  THAT BEING SAID....parents questioning whether this sport over that...I've seen kids get hurt in every sport.  I head coach baseball.  I've seen kids just do dumb stuff before and cause injury (not serious but very easily could have been).  Kid died in NC either this year or last throwing BP to another player.  Another kid was hit by an errant ball that went through a little hole in a dugout.  Started swelling in the brain and he's now recovering and having to learn fine motor skills again.  (concussed in our area...but not our league)  I got concussed in soccer in high school.  Stuff happens.  I actually had a parent as me if she should get her kid a facemask to wear playing baseball because he took one in the face during a routine throw to him...that he should've caught.  It took everything in me to just say he needs to catch the ball, but I left that decision to her.  If she want's him to be a bubble boy and think that throughout his life he's going to be wrapped in a protective shell by a helicopter parent...go for it.  He or she is your kid.  My son wears an underarmour padded shirt under his jersey to protect from any line shots to the chest...because he pitches.  Still runs through my mind the possibility of taking a line shot...but it's something he loves to do and he's good at it.  You train them the best you can to improve on their mechanics (glove tuck) to insure they are best equipped to respond if that happens. 

We used to play all kinds of crap that would get us hurt growing up.  What you learned was how to do it right to prevent getting hurt.  I'm amazed watching skateboarders/bikers/etc at X-games doing the crazy stuff they do wondering how in the heck they learned how to do it without breaking every bone in their bodies or have constant dental work.  As a parent, all I can say is "know your child".  Every child is different.  You have to be the bigger person sometime and understand the child's limitations when it comes to his/her health.  When they get a bit older and mature, let them try stuff out on their own and figure it out.  Don't force it upon them. 

Don't have a kid, nor do I know if I will let my future kids play. But I did play in high school & it was the best year of my life.

High school football coach (Independence) wouldn't let me play football in 9th grade. Told me I was too small (5'10 140lb) and not only an injury risk, but completely useless to his program. Yes, he actually said that to a 14-year-old kid. I spent the next 3 years eating & lifting weights like a possessed demon. Also ran track & played basketball. By the end of my JR year I was 6'1 185lb, ripped, & lightning fast. Same dick coach approached me at the end of 11th grade asking me to join the team and play my SR year. Told him I was moving to live with my dad & couldn't.

Yep, mom let me move back home to live with my dad. I wanted to go play football and graduate back home at Richmond Senior. Tha Raiders!!!I I got to play on a team that featured Junior DE/LB Melvin Ingram (USC, Chargers) and Senior RB Norman Whitley (ECU). I didn't start, but I did play a lot at CB & WR.... DE Dannell Ellerbe (UGA, Ravens, Dolphins) was an alumni there & spent time over the summer working out with us. WR Koren Robinson (NCSU, Seahawks, Alcoholics Anonymous) was another alum that spent time there over that summer.

Oh yeah, we also won the 2007 North Carolina 4AA State Championship.

Oh yeah, in the state championship game held at UNC we beat Independence & that same coach who was a complete dick to me 4 years earlier.

I may or may not have made an obscene gesture towards said Independence coach during the game after recovering a fumble. Cannot confirm.

Totally wouldve been like sorry bro I cant play im too small and would be useless to your program and poo. Good luck.

I played through college. My son played tackle for the first time last year at 8 years old. I coached and was on the field during games and the hits these little guys were giving/taking was alarming. I taught the "heads up football" form and safety. My son loved it and wanted to play this year, I did not let him. I think I'm going to hold him out until middle school if he wants to play. We are trying to get a Flag/7on7 league for the older kids in our town right now. That way they can learn the basics and skills without the risk of serious brain injury. There is just too much known risk nowadays. Our tackle league shrunk from 6 to 4 teams from last year to this year because parents are educating themselves. My sons are playing soccer now. Soccer has the second highest risk for concussions by the way.

Here's what my brother is doing, & it seems reasonable. He has 5 & 7 year old boys...

Right now they're playing baseball (coach pitch) & football (flag). Doesn't let them play soccer (concussions) or basketball (tore his ACL when he was 12).

Once they get a little older he's not gonna let them play tackle football or fast pitch baseball from about age 10-14. Far too much risk & danger involved at that age. But that's only part of it (injury). Kids league's today are taken far too serious. A family friend has a 11-year-old who literally plays baseball year round & they travel all over the country. He's the best under 12 baseball player I've ever seen, & already has freaking scouts poaching around him, but I've warned his dad about letting him play that much at such a young age. Pitching at that age is already dangerous, playing him nonstop is just asking for trouble. I'm sincerely afraid the kid is gonna blow out his arm. It's no wonder so many young pro pitchers have elbow issues, their developing arms are abused as kids. Guys like Maddux have stated they wouldn't let their kid pitch until he was 15 or 16.

Sports are great, it's fun for kids & builds friendships. But most people seem to overdue it. At this young of an age my brother lets them play in one flag football & one coach pitch baseball league per year. That's one in the spring & one in the fall. It gives them a chance to play sports & interact with other kids. But he spends the majority of their play time doing other activities; fishing, swimming, camping, hiking, frisbee golf, etc. Too many young kids spend 95% of their free time playing baseball/football, whether outside or on a video game. Once they get older, around 14 or so, he's said he'll let them play whatever sport they want & as much as they want as long as they keep their grades up.

That's sort of how we grew up. Although we played tackle football & fast pitch at a very young age. But sports were something we did seasonally. Usually we were more interested in stuff like fishing or swimming anyway. Nowadays it's competitive sports 365 days a year & nothing else.

Archived