• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

34 defense: a solution to a problem

Ruff

This thread isn't about our struggles against the 34 defense. Actually, it's about our own struggles to get pressure on the quarterback.

Right now, we're suffering because of Greg Hardy being out, among other things. My solution, move our defense to the 34 defense, because i believe we have the pieces to run it effectively.

Say what?!

Think about it. We get 0 pressure from our ends because of the lack of pressure the DTs are getting. However, KK is getting a fair amount of push. Set him and Star up as the DE/DTs of the 34, and let them pass rush from inside. Use Colin Cole as the NT, and let Edwards come in and refresh Star, and let Star move inside to the NT when Cole gets tired.

But what about Johnson? Well, Johnson can spell KK, because I think Short is the better of the two players right now.

Moving on, Kuechly and Klein could both start at the ILB position. Kuechly being the read and react ILB, responsible for the RB (think Willis) and Klein becomes the blitzing ILB. Davis can either pass rush or cover the TE from the OLB position.

But what about the stand up DE?

Wes Horton.

That's right. Horton has the speed to rush freely off the outside, but not the moves or power to rush from a stance. Let him roam out there.

While you were adding more, I was editing my post...to talk about than more.

Lol.

I think Horton is truly key to the OLB position on this team. He played a similar position as Nick Perry at USC, who is now playing OLB for Green Bay.

The 34 would also give us the ability to need not rely on a nickel so muh, since Davis could cover the slot receiver within a certain zone, as could Kuechly.

Sadly it's not like flipping a light switch.

It's more like converting an engine from manual transmission to automatic. It seems like they're similar, but the moving pieces are very different. And if you want to do that anyway, you're better off buying a new car.

This thread isn't about our struggles against the 34 defense. Actually, it's about our own struggles to get pressure on the quarterback.

Right now, we're suffering because of Greg Hardy being out, among other things. My solution, move our defense to the 34 defense, because i believe we have the pieces to run it effectively.

Say what?!

Think about it. We get 0 pressure from our ends because of the lack of pressure the DTs are getting. However, KK is getting a fair amount of push. Set him and Star up as the DE/DTs of the 34, and let them pass rush from inside. Use Colin Cole as the NT, and let Edwards come in and refresh Star, and let Star move inside to the NT when Cole gets tired.

But what about Johnson? Well, Johnson can spell KK, because I think Short is the better of the two players right now.

Moving on, Kuechly and Klein could both start at the ILB position. Kuechly being the read and react ILB, responsible for the RB (think Willis) and Klein becomes the blitzing ILB. Davis can either pass rush or cover the TE from the OLB position.

But what about the stand up DE?

Wes Horton.

That's right. Horton has the speed to rush freely off the outside, but not the moves or power to rush from a stance. Let him roam out there.

I've thought about this too, but I think Addison would be a better stand up DE then Horton.

We already run some variations of a 3-4 making it a hybrid, we definitely don't have the secondary to consistently run a 3-4 due to the amount of man coverage that is necessary to successfully run this defense. 

I believe you...but perhaps we could get more pressure than we're generating now which may mitigate some of the pass coverage issues.  

Archived