• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Cam Newton the next Jay Cutler?

PntherPryd

When I think Cutler, I think bad decision making. I don't see that when it comes to Cam.

The last couple of games, when it comes to Cam it hasn't been bad decisions, it's been bad throws.

Think of some of the passes against the Saints.

The pass to Bersin that was picked: great decision, the ball was just a little behind (he still should have caught it)

The long pass to Cotchery: perfect decision, the ball just hung in the air to long allowing the defenders time to close in (still should have caught it)

The bomb to Benjamin, another great decision, he just threw to the inside rather than outside.

The third down pass to Benji in the redzone; another good decision, he was just way too high.

These are bad throws, something Cam struggles with, he sees the field fine, he just needs to tweak his mechanics and not rush his throws. (Would help if he had even an average Oline)

Cutler, in my view, has worrisome decision making in general. At times he makes a throw and you go wtf? Why would he go there.

The only time Cam makes bad decisions is when he fails to check down, or when he holds the ball too long. He rarely forces it into triple coverage. Though he did once against the Saints.

Thinking about it now, Cam has like 6 or 7 picks this year and I only remember one coming on a bad decision, the one against Seattle. All the others were tips or sailed passes.

Edit: the one against Green Bay may have been a bad decision, but I got the impression when watching it that it was miscommunication.

In a lot of regards most QBs are what they are. They can improve on consistancy issues....for example letting footwork get sloppy.

But the rocketballs? Did Favre ever become a touch thrower? Nope, he was breaking fingers at 40. It was just accepted that is what he was.

I don't remember where but someone else I was talking to also made the Farve comparison, which is one I'm way more comfortable with. 

Here's a question I wanna ask. What happens if Cam doesn't develop any touch?

Remind me which QB has been more errant in passing in the last 3 weeks, struggled reading coverages and defenses more in his career and which QB has saved his ass by bailing on the designed play to run it?  Sure, it's great when he can run it and pick up yards, maybe even a first.  But, that's not how football works.  He needs to sit in the pocket and throw to WR's and hit the tight windows most NFL QB's can hit.  He doesn't no matter what accolades he has and it is a team sport.  Cam Newton is a big reason that this team has a losing record.

Such BULLSHIT CTFU!!!. Why the fug are you here???

Not going to argue a poster that is either trolling or just spouting dumb poo.

Help me out then, since I appear to be half as smart as you because I am really tired of these drive-by tough guy posters like yourself just replying to dissenting opinions, particularly from fans of other teams, with the sentiment to leave.

Clearly, you do not understand the benefits of dissenting opinion, for one.

Secondly, why even pretend to be tough on the internet?  I'll help you to avoid this whole structured part of the faux argument.  Everyone here is tougher and stronger and much more manly then I am.  You would hurt me very badly in a fight which I would not be able to defend myself because you are the supreme, alpha man and the dream of the Nazi nation with beautiful handsome rugged good looks and sophisticated charm.

But, lastly, if my opinion bothers you, how about you actually offer something to discount or actually change my opinion instead of just being an asshole?  Is that too much to ask?  I really bet it is.

Help me out then, since I appear to be half as smart as you because I am really tired of these drive-by tough guy posters like yourself just replying to dissenting opinions, particularly from fans of other teams, with the sentiment to leave.

Clearly, you do not understand the benefits of dissenting opinion, for one.

Secondly, why even pretend to be tough on the internet? I'll help you to avoid this whole structured part of the faux argument. Everyone here is tougher and stronger and much more manly then I am. You would hurt me very badly in a fight which I would not be able to defend myself because you are the supreme, alpha man and the dream of the Nazi nation with beautiful handsome rugged good looks and sophisticated charm.

But, lastly, if my opinion bothers you, how about you actually offer something to discount or actually change my opinion instead of just being an asshole? Is that too much to ask? I really bet it is.

When the dissenting opinion is coming from Buffalo Gump, trying to explain the game of football to you is like trying to teach a dog accounting.

When I think Cutler, I think bad decision making. I don't see that when it comes to Cam.

The last couple of games, when it comes to Cam it hasn't been bad decisions, it's been bad throws.

Think of some of the passes against the Saints.

The pass to Bersin that was picked: great decision, the ball was just a little behind (he still should have caught it)

The long pass to Cotchery: perfect decision, the ball just hung in the air to long allowing the defenders time to close in (still should have caught it)

The bomb to Benjamin, another great decision, he just threw to the inside rather than outside.

The third down pass to Benji in the redzone; another good decision, he was just way too high.

These are bad throws, something Cam struggles with, he sees the field fine, he just needs to tweak his mechanics and not rush his throws. (Would help if he had even an average Oline)

Cutler, in my view, has worrisome decision making in general. At times he makes a throw and you go wtf? Why would he go there.

The only time Cam makes bad decisions is when he fails to check down, or when he holds the ball too long. He rarely forces it into triple coverage. Though he did once against the Saints.

Thinking about it now, Cam has like 6 or 7 picks this year and I only remember one coming on a bad decision, the one against Seattle. All the others were tips or sailed passes.

Edit: the one against Green Bay may have been a bad decision, but I got the impression when watching it that it was miscommunication.

This is accurate, but I would like to add that he does make bad decisions when he ends up scrambling a little too quickly.  We often forget that he missed a window to a downfield target because he makes a highlight reel picking up first downs like crazy on the ground.

It's not purely decision making.  It's some sort of mix between ability to get the ball in the right place while making the right read to throw it.  Maybe he knows his limits - some times apprehensive to hit his guy / thread the needle and falls back to knowing what he can do when he runs?

Archived