• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Serious question: what would it take for you to want to get rid of Cam?

Ruff

This team needs way more than a QB, so if a team is willing to throw a lot of picks for Cam, I say do it. We have so many holes and we need a lot of high draft picks to even start to build for the future. If we were able to get Winston or Mariota in the draft, that's even better. You would start all the way over with another young QB and some other talent elsewhere. Also, bring in an offensive minded head coach for once for the next QB and let's try to turn this disaster of a franchise around. We've already ruined Cam way too badly to bounce back, sad to say.

He's hurt. This certainly compounds the aforementioned problems.

I have said many times I wouldn't trade Cam for anyone in the history of football and still wouldn't. The only for sure names in this organization over the next decade+ are Newton and Kuechly. There will be dozens of moving parts to include coordinators and personnel. While JR's shield over team actions have sickened me to my core, a healthy Cam with additional pieces and we have a new lease on life. We can still have the greatest dynasty of the salary cap era in a down and decaying division. Remember the average age of Super Bowl winning QBs is 30.

I understand homerism, but that is just damn stupid. You wouldn't trade him for ANYBODY IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL?! Are you kidding me? All of those hall of fame players and you want to stick with a QB that is now having injury problems and is inconsistent as it is? You're past being a homer, that's just idiotic.                             

It's funny how everyone thinks he is terrible now yet some people think he will command 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks. Which is it? Is he worth a king's ransom or is he terrible?

It doesn't matter what we think, it matters what owners and GM's think. And there are MANY teams out there that would send a king's randsom for Cam. Hell, a team sent a king's ransom for an unproven QB just coming out of college, there is no doubt that a team would give us even more for Cam, just for the name alone.

I understand homerism, but that is just damn stupid. You wouldn't trade him for ANYBODY IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL?! Are you kidding me? All of those hall of fame players and you want to stick with a QB that is now having injury problems and is inconsistent as it is? You're past being a homer, that's just idiotic.

Nope, he only played one year of big time college football, is still learning, has been hurt, has been thrown to the wolves by our organization, and still has a total resume and skill set equal to or greater than any 25 year old in the history of team sports.

It would take Cam Newton playing at a level below a Top 15 QB for me to begin to feel as if moving on from him would be a wise decision.

A lot of people here really don't seem to quite understand how difficult it is to find a QB even on the level of Andy Dalton.  Don't believe me?  Look at the drafts in the last 7-9 years.  Dalton, for as flawed as he is, is still one of the 10 best QBs in that time period drafted.  

The fact of the matter is a LOT of factors come into play here.  It would require a solid draft position, a solid QB draft class, and luck for us to find someone on the level of Newton.  

Honestly speaking, for him to demand far over market value, aka, his 20 mil figure. I'm ok 13-15 mil, but Bree's/Rodgers/Brady/manning money for Eli/kaepernick production will kill me. Franchise qbs aren't a dime a dozen, but last night proved that system can make any player good...even butt fumble himself.

There's not much he can do on the field for the rest of this year that'd make me want to get rid of him.  It's unfair to judge him based on what he's capable of doing with the support he has - OL, coaching, weapons.  If we get him a competent OC, OL and at least 1 more legit weapon and he's still playing like this year then I'll absolutely agree to cutting bait.

Honestly speaking, for him to demand far over market value, aka, his 20 mil figure. I'm ok 13-15 mil, but Bree's/Rodgers/Brady/manning money for Eli/kaepernick production will kill me. Franchise qbs aren't a dime a dozen, but last night proved that system can make any player good...even butt fumble himself.

Not exactly.

Michael Vick and Matt Barkley looked terrible when they played for Philly last year.  Nick Foles had a nice 2013 campaign, although clearly not as good as the numbers indicate, and then fell off a cliff this year with 10 INTs in 8 games.  Quite frankly, Philadelphia is lucky to be where they are record-wise - special teams have been a huge help to them.

Mark Sanchez had a nice showing on Monday night but that had more to do with our defense being dreadful.  You can't fool around with the QB position and the quarterback has the leverage in these negotiations because they know a team in need of a QB will be willing to throw the bucks at them and the team knows they will have a difficult time finding a replacement.  I would be frustrated if we gave Newton 20M... but you can't really let him walk either.  It would take us a long time to recover if we did.

If we pulled a 180 on what we did this year and got him a all-pro calibre Oline, a master OC, an bruising running game, and a all-pro #2 WR and Cam plays the same as he is now. Then I'd consider it, Until then I'm willing to give him some leway considering the historically large middle finger our FO gave their franchise QB this year.

Archived