• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2015 NFL Draft Simulator Game

The Lone Panther

And here's a slightly more realistic trade scenario.

Round 1 Pick 11 (N.O.): Landon Collins, SS, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 7: Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 11 (N.O.): Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin (A)
Round 3 Pick 7: Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina (B+)
Round 4 Pick 7: Cam Thomas, CB, Western Kentucky (A-)
Round 5 Pick 7: Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma ©
Round 6 Pick 7: Norkeithus Otis, OLB, North Carolina (A-)
Round 7 Pick 7: Darius Kilgo, DT, Maryland (A)

No thanks on trading our #1.  We need players at CB, DE, and OT.  Getting elite prospects at all of those positions is tough and the best way to do it is with 1st round picks.

I'd only be ok with it if it's only a few spots down, picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd (if only 1 or 2 spots).  Certainly not out of the 1st, and definitely not down to the bottom of the first.  And I'd only be ok with it if Cooper is gone and no top tier LTs are available.

edit: but I do disagree with the positions of need, heh.  IMO the positions we most need to upgrade with high draft picks are OT, WR and S

My mock with us trading our first round pick.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 21 (S.D.): La'el Collins, OT, LSU (B+)
Round 2 Pick 7: Mario Edwards, DE, Florida State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 21 (S.D.): Hauoli Kikaha, DE, Washington (C+)
Round 3 Pick 7: Gabe Wright, DT, Auburn (A)
Round 3 Pick 21 (S.D.): Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn (A)
Round 4 Pick 7: Jeremy Langford, RB, Michigan State (A)
Round 5 Pick 7: Kyshoen Jarrett, SS, Virginia Tech (B+)
Round 6 Pick 7: Damian Swann, CB, Georgia (B)
Round 7 Pick 7: Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson ©

A few notes.  I went heavy on the defense early.  When we went 12-4 in 2013 it was because our defense was beast.  We need to get back to that.  

Kikaha won't play DE, he's an OLB.  Also, Ben Jacobs isn't very good at ILB.  It's time for us to give Luke someone worthy to back him up.  

Other than that, I hit every area of need.  

I'd only be ok with it if it's only a few spots down, picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd (if only 1 or 2 spots).  Certainly not out of the 1st, and definitely not down to the bottom of the first.  And I'd only be ok with it if Cooper is gone and no top tier LTs are available.

edit: but I do disagree with the positions of need, heh.  IMO the positions we most need to upgrade with high draft picks are OT, WR and S

DE will be almost as important as OT this off season.  We all know Hardy is gone and CJ is getting old and cutting him would save 6 million.  If that's the case, we would be down to three DE's.  All of which are average at best.  Probably need to draft one and then pick up another one in the free agency.  Mario Edwards or Preston Smith are my top choices.  

You're right.  Everyone knows that every 1st round pick is never a bust. 

And trading down to acquire extra picks always leads to picking up multiple additional all pros, right?

I agree with JB.  If Cooper and the elite OT prospects are gone, then I'd be okay with trading down in the 1st.  However, I think when it's all said and done we may be looking at a top 5 pick.

DE will be almost as important as OT this off season. We all know Hardy is gone and CJ is getting old and cutting him would save 6 million. If that's the case, we would be down to three DE's. All of which are average at best. Probably need to draft one and then pick up another one in the free agency. Mario Edwards or Preston Smith are my top choices.

I really like Preston Smith too. I haven't watched a ton of college football this year, but I did watch Alabama vs. Mississippi State and it didn't take long for me to hit up Google and figure out who #91 for MSU was.

And I have a feeling we won't be stuck with Deangelo's contract much longer (not all of it anyway, shouldn't be TOO much dead money left by now).

DeAngelo's post June 1 2015 salary will be $6,333,333  A post June 1 2015 cut would leave us with $6,660,000 in dead money.

The Panthers cost for the cut would be  ($ 266,667) over his 2015 salary,plus we would be without  his services in 2015.

Didn't Dres Anderson blow his knee out last month?

TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline notes that Utah senior WR Dres Anderson's knee injury "was not of the serious variety" and "quick recovery is expected."

The Utah prospect was forced to miss the remainder of 2014 after he injured his knee in the fourth quarter of Utah's 24-21 win over USC. The 6-foot-1, 187-pound Anderson finished his career with 2,077 yards, putting him at fifth place in Utah Utes' history.

Archived