• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The biggest influence in Rock music?

stankowalski

This may sound like a stupid question, since it is relative.  But I've been sitting back listening to all of my music (which is extensive),  and I'm having a hard time deciding who is the biggest influence as a whole.  The Beatles shaped music from the late 60's to the early 80's and even still today.  Nirvana instantly changed the rock scene from Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue to them, almost overnight, and you still see their influence today.  Since today is still going on, and there is no way of knowing what the future may hold, I find it hard to say Nirvana has been the most influential band of all time....especially given their short stay. But even still, I think it's even more impressive that Nirvana had so much of an impact given their short stay.

What say you?

Without the dearth of Cobain Nirvana wouldn't be nearly as popular.

It's The Beatles. No band evolved more with the times.

I'm inclined to believe you but...why do so many bands still sound like Nirvana so many years after?  I mean, granted The Beatles runs thru everything including Nirvana, but their "sound" isn't  as pervasive as Nirvana to this day I don't think.  

But it still amazes me to listen to Coldplay, Radiohead, etc. and hear the Beatles.

Also keep in mind that The Beatles were around 10 years from debut to kaput...while Nirvana was less than half that.

Little Richard?

Elvis?

Bill Haley and the Comets?

The Beatles?

The Who?

The Stones?

The Doors?

Zeppelin?

Pink Floyd?

Jimi?

My point is this.  When you want to say the biggest influence in rock you cant make a case for a band that hasn't had an opportunity to have a real legacy.  Nirvana made an impact, that is an unquestionable fact.  As the face of the Seattle scene, they were the beneficiaries of a movement away from the overproduced hair metal that dominated the rock music world of the early 90s.

But...

The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who, and The Stones have influenced and inspired generations of musicians and they stand on the shoulders of Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash who in turn owe everything to the 30s era blues titans.

You want to talk about biggest influences in Rock and to do it seriously you have to talk about the heads of Record companies, and producers, and sound engineers.

Take Rick Rubin for example.  I would argue that he had more influence that Nirvana.  Since 1983 there probably isnt one person who has had a greater impact on steering the music industry and deciding what we all hear.

Little Richard?

Elvis?

Bill Haley and the Comets?

The Beatles?

The Who?

The Stones?

The Doors?

Zeppelin?

Pink Floyd?

Jimi?

My point is this.  When you want to say the biggest influence in rock you cant make a case for a band that hasn't had an opportunity to have a real legacy.  Nirvana made an impact, that is an unquestionable fact.  As the face of the Seattle scene, they were the beneficiaries of a movement away from the overproduced hair metal that dominated the rock music world of the early 90s.

But...

The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who, and The Stones have influenced and inspired generations of musicians and they stand on the shoulders of Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash who in turn owe everything to the 30s era blues titans.

You want to talk about biggest influences in Rock and to do it seriously you have to talk about the heads of Record companies, and producers, and sound engineers.

Take Rick Rubin for example.  I would argue that he had more influence that Nirvana.  Since 1983 there probably isnt one person who has had a greater impact on steering the music industry and deciding what we all hear.

Phil Spector, too I'd say...

Chuck Berry

While no individual can be said to have invented rock and roll, Chuck Berry comes the closest of any single figure to being the one who put all the essential pieces together. It was his particular genius to graft country & western guitar licks onto a rhythm & blues chassis in his very first single, "Maybellene."

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Archived