• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vonleh assigned to D league

Captain Obvious

The league was more competitive back then compared to now. Even if championships were really only won by the Celtics Lakers and Bulls. Ewing never left NY because he couldn't beat Jordan. Reggie Miller and Larry Bird were 1 team players. The whole big three idea of stars dumping their teams to join up to make a run didn't exist back then. Neither did the "I'm coming home" thing with Lebron and people talking about Curry with Charlotte and Durant with Washington.

You keep saying this, but it's just not true. "Ewing never left NY" is hardly adequate support for your premise. And not to be a dick or anything but the fact you invoked Barkley in your previous post, a guy who demanded a trade from Philadelphia because they sucked and later formed a superteam in Houston with Hakeem + Drexler/Pippen, tells me you don't really have any idea what you're talking about. I grew up watching 80's/90's era NBA and loved it, but it's important to not let nostalgia skew our current perception of how things actually were back then.

You keep saying this, but it's just not true. "Ewing never left NY" is hardly adequate support for your premise. And not to be a dick or anything but the fact you invoked Barkley in your previous post, a guy who demanded a trade from Philadelphia because they sucked and later formed a superteam in Houston with Hakeem + Drexler/Pippen, tells me you don't really have any idea what you're talking about. I grew up watching 80's/90's era NBA and loved it, but it's important to not let nostalgia skew our current perception of how things actually were back then.

Barkley was and still is a dick. When he was traded to the suns he didn't go there with 2 other superstars. He went with the drive to want to beat Jordan. When he joined Houston it was the end of his career and he was injured often never playing more than 70 games in a season with them. The move is similar to when Shaq left La to go to Miami.

The problem is that the owner got antsy and didn't let the team tank to build more assets like OKC did. They went out and picked up pieces in FA and the pieces they got didn't mesh with either the current players and/or coaching system in place. 

Jefferson doesn't make sense in a defensive first approach because he's so bad at defense,Stephenson doesn't make sense with MKG starting, Resigning henderson doesn't make sense if your keeping MKG. Resigning Kemba doesn't make sense if your planning on keeping Clifford and running his system. 

It's like one bad FA/ resigning decision after another, like someone with a multiple personality disorder is running the team. I can't say for sure if it's MJ that made the decision to go after Al or if it was Cho, same with Stephenson....but the moves don't match that's for sure. 

Archived