• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philly Brown - Subluxed Shoulder

The Saltman

For what it is worth....

I used to get the posterior dislocation, a bit less common that the anterior and more common than the inferior.  I take it there is no indication of which type he had, but looking at the video clip, it looks very similar to the motion and impact I experienced on 2 occasions.  I can tell you that in my case--I know that it was not the same and I know that I was not in the NFL and I know that I am not a doctor--it was very sore for about 3 days.  By the end of the week it was tender, so they gave me cortisone shots and it was a non issue.

That is my experience several years ago.  I did not have access to the top quality trainers and facilities, so maybe he can get over it quicker.

We are very lucky it was not worse.  It hurts, but there is only minor damage--stretched ligaments and tendons and possible rotator cuff chipping. 

I can also add that, due to the stretched ligaments and tendons, it is more likely to happen again.  It is a tough injury to effectively tape, especially without impeding the range of motion a receiver needs.

I've done this to my shoulder playing football. You can't list weights and is hard to raise your arm. It lasts a good while. I still have trouble with it. His may be not as bad or worse. I don't know.

Yeah, I think there are various degrees of seriousness--but it was painful.  In my case, I could not lift my arm and it made me feel secure to keep my elbow tucked under my ribs (after removing the sling).  If I moved my elbow away from my body, I felt like it was going to pop out again. 

I had this injury at around 20 and once it popped back in it would hurt for a few days but it was not long standing pain.  My problem was that each time it happened weakened the structure of the joint and it would pop out easier next time.  I had to have surgery on it once it popped out in my sleep.  Mine would not pop back in by itself and had to be manually put back in joint.  The longer it was out of joint the more painful afterwards.

But he should actually be able to play with some painkillers. Taking hits on the shoulder or getting driven into the ground will definitely hurt though.

Archived