• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Cap situation going forward

Bozarden

I have just taken a look at the numbers for the following year and to my big surprise they are VERY promising. Gettleman has done a fine job of getting us out of bad contracts.

According to http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space We will have a bit over 15 million in Cap space counting our rollover from last season. And this is before making any moves what so ever.

What makes this even better is that we already have 45 players commited towards the cap! That means that with the addition of the 2015 draft class we will already have filled out our roster.

If i were Gettleman i would make the following moves

CUT:

Melvin White (saves 585,500)

Amini Silatolu (saves 1,063,242)

Robert Lester (saves 585,500)

Deangelo Williams JUNE 1ST (Saves 2,000,000)

Restructure:

Ryan Kalil - Convert 4,000,000 base salary to signing bonus over the last three years of his deal (saves 4,000,000)

Thomas Davis (This could be a pay cut as well) - Convert 2,000,000 Base salary to signing bonus over the last three years of his deal (saves 2,000,000)

Extend:

Greg Olsen - Sign Greg Olsen to at 5 year - 35,000,000 Contract. 12 guaranteed. With a 7,000,000 cap hit every year (saves 800,000)

Charles Johnson - Sign Charles Johnson to a 5 year - 55,000,000 contract with 20 guaranteed. Lower his Cap hit to 17,000,000 this year (saves 3,000,000)

This will leave us with just under 28.5 million in cap space with only 12 roster spots to fill. This should give us a lot of wiggle room to extend Cam or even be a player in free agency for the first time in many many years.

TLDR Version; With a few moves we will have a pooload of cap space next year. #Gettlemagic

Cut white? Hes a cheap solid #3. Poor choice.

When you cut someone and their contract, you have to replace them with another contract. So saving 500,000 is not saving anything, if the replacement is making the same.

Need about 5 million for the rookie pool too.

CJ's cap hit is about what cam newton's will be when we sign him long-term. that's unacceptable. i love CJ but i wouldn't be surprised to see gettleman do something drastic.

Agreed. I think CJs situation will be the wild card in the offseason. I don't think he will take a pay cut, maybe a rescruture, but that doesn't necessarily solve the problem. Hard to imagine the season starts and CJ cap hit at 20M.

Cut white? Hes a cheap solid #3. Poor choice.

When you cut someone and their contract, you have to replace them with another contract. So saving 500,000 is not saving anything, if the replacement is making the same.

Need about 5 million for the rookie pool too.

He had an ok rookie season but he has been a complete liabilty this year. The lack of an elite pass rush has really exposed some of the players who looked good in the secondary last year. I would rather bring in someone new as a FA or late in the draft

2015 cap hasn't even been fully set yet.  Expectations from the owners are in the $138-142MM range, but NFLPA expects it to be higher.  All depends on those numbers and what can be done with CJ.  No way we pay him $20M this year. A wise restructuring of him and Kalil will determine just how dangerous we are in FA.

I'm intrigued to see Newton's deal, or even if Getts touches it this year.  In theory, Panthers don't have to do anything, but a long-term deal could actually lower his salary this year, with more $$ down the line.  Nothing drastic, but he's on the hook for $14.6M in '15. 

Archived