• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cris Carter on RW contract

unicar15

If Cam took a huge discount I would be disappointed in him as a man.  His responsibilities should be to his family/legacy first.  Calculating the difference "long term" between 15 mill and 25 mill is huge.    It's not his job to manage the salary cap, just as it's not Gettlemans job to get hit by Kam Chancellor. The salary cap is a cap on "owners who truly care about winning".   Do any of you think for 1 second that Jerry Jones wouldn't have the highest paid team in the league? 

The teams that get in salary cap trouble are teams who don't recognize their talent early and pay appropriately.  Managing dead money properly, avoiding huge numbers like CJ's 20 mill cap hit, and JStews/Dwill we can't afford to cut him type salaries are the GM decisions.   The fact that we are cap strapped was poor financial planning.  We negotiated like a small business handing out friendly contracts to our best players.  Julius Peppers did us a favor by leaving before we gave him that 100 mill contract.

Well written, Udogg.  Everything is spot on.  Cam will get a deal that looks much bigger than its actual hit on the cap and it will be reworked throughout his career.  He will make $$$ and not be asked to take a discount. 

To add to your sentiment "the teams that get in salary cap trouble are teams who don't recognize their talent early and pay appropriately." I would like to add, "the teams that know when to let talent go and not pay them appropriately." is perhaps a more difficult task.  That is why Gettlemen refuses to entertain emotional attachments with players; he has to be objective.  Look at the Pats and Logan Mankins,.  Most teams would have overpaid to keep him. New England wins super bowls making decisions like that.

As fans, we only care about the now.  Hurney (and I am afraid the Seahawks could be doing it now) are using contracts to reward.  At least in Seattle's case, they have a few Super Bowl appearances to reward; Hurney was paying above top dollar to players on teams that went 2-14 and 6-10.  Gettlemen will not do that.  He will pay for future productivity.  So DWill at 32 is gone.  Gettlemen is looking at players' anticpated productivity in 3-4 years as much as now.  Sure, he can backload a contract so it pays 80% of its value at the end, but will that player be at the same level when you are paying him more $$ than he is worth?  Since you have a guy at 34 years of age, for example, making $8m when his is worth $2m, do you feel compelled to play that player? Dead money is bad, but I see that as $6m in dead money playing on the field.  When the contract has you by the throat, it is the same as dead money, maybe even worse if it affects your drafting and takes up a roster spot.

"Take less money and take care of Lynch and others so your team can continue to be great."

Cris...please call a certain QB in the 704 area code.

Any amount Cam gets offered will be too much to you.

What do you think LESS MONEY looks like? Less money for Wilson won't be less than $100M.

$100M too much for Cam to expect? It's less than $120M. Some of you idiots complain about contracts like they get it all at one time.

I'm sorry but you have to take the money you can get. There are no guarantees in this league...except for guaranteed money in a contract.

You can talk about endorsement money for future Super Bowls...but last time I checked there are 32 teams in the league. The odds that they make it back and win more Super Bowls even if they retain most of their main guys is just not high enough to risk millions in guaranteed cash.

Lord forbid Wilson has a career ender...how many endorsements will he get then?

Get your money.

Seems like we have a lot of gamblers here...

You have to know when to cash out...

I'm sorry but you have to take the money you can get. There are no guarantees in this league...except for guaranteed money in a contract.

You can talk about endorsement money for future Super Bowls...but last time I checked there are 32 teams in the league. The odds that they make it back and win more Super Bowls even if they retain most of their main guys is just not high enough to risk millions in guaranteed cash.

Lord forbid Wilson has a career ender...how many endorsements will he get then?

Get your money.

Seems like we have a lot of gamblers here...

You have to know when to cash out...

No, what we have here are a lot of "IT'S MORE MONEY THAN I'LL EVER HAVE IN MY LIFE, SO THE PLAYERS SHOULD THINK ABOUT THE BIG PICTURE LIKE I'M DOING" people.

If Cam took a huge discount I would be disappointed in him as a man. His responsibilities should be to his family/legacy first. Calculating the difference "long term" between 15 mill and 25 mill is huge. It's not his job to manage the salary cap, just as it's not Gettlemans job to get hit by Kam Chancellor. The salary cap is a cap on "owners who truly care about winning". Do any of you think for 1 second that Jerry Jones wouldn't have the highest paid team in the league?

The teams that get in salary cap trouble are teams who don't recognize their talent early and pay appropriately. Managing dead money properly, avoiding huge numbers like CJ's 20 mill cap hit, and JStews/Dwill we can't afford to cut him type salaries are the GM decisions. The fact that we are cap strapped was poor financial planning. We negotiated like a small business handing out friendly contracts to our best players. Julius Peppers did us a favor by leaving before we gave him that 100 mill contract.

Lol...

There is no difference. Either way he's gonna make over $50m. You can set your family up for generations with $5m, much less $50m or $150m.

It's all about money. Players don't care about winning over money, regardless of what they say. Pro sports are a business. Sorry to burst your bubble. Name a QB who took considerably less on a contract "for the betterment of his team." Tom Brady doesn't count, either. He took a paycut, but he's nearly 40 years old and probably would've been released if he hadn't. He didn't give any discounts when he was younger and worth big money.

And the funny thing is, it's all a status game for players- especially QBs. Think about it. On a 6 year deal $15m vs $25m seems drastic, but it's really not. What's the lifestyle difference between someone with $90m vs someone with $150m? There isn't one.

Yet the difference is salary cap flexibility between paying a QB $15m vs $25m is very drastic. Yet literally no QB takes that paycut. Not even the most competitive guys- Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Flacco, etc. They all took every penny they could. If those guys truly, truly cared about winning at least one of them would have taken a small deal. Nobody does.

Cam was the ENTIRE offense for 3.5 years (running & passing), and he's expected to settle for much less than his value, based on people around here?

Silly people...

There is a balance.  You can take up too much of your teams Cap and put them at a disadvantage for your own personal satisfaction.  You can give up a little bit in exchange for a better chance at glory.

Unless you have a draft/trash fa wizard for a GM, you're rolling the dice on the future of the team.  How does Green Bay feel about Aaron Roger's contract?  Or New Orleans about Drew Brees?  Or Atlanta about Matt Ryan?  Joe Flaco?  Peyton Manning?  How much of your future do you mortgage for now?  How much is your franchise QB worth?

I bet Cincy and SF feel pretty good about their QB contracts...

For Cam, he's going to decide if the difference in $3-5 million a year is worth it to him versus another player extended/brought in as a FA.  I'm not sure what the money really is worth to these guys after a point.  Give me $5 million, and my family will be set for a while.

What about Cam makes you think he's less likely to make a team-first move like that?

Because Russell Wilson is so articulate, such a high character guy, very intelligent, blah blah blah blah.

You know the real reason, sadly.

Russell Wilson makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X

Lol...

There is no difference. Either way he's gonna make over $50m. You can set your family up for generations with $5m, much less $50m or $150m.

Yeah I could drive around in a prius or I could get a BMW I8. They both get us around, but I would prefer to drive the BMW.

Most of us could live on less money.  Eating out less, cutting expenses etc.  But most of us don't because we become accustomed to a standard of living and would rather go up then down.

So lets say at the end of it all the difference  between a discount and a fair market value contract is around 20-24 million over total contract length.  Lets say he puts it somewhere at a "conservative" 8%.   I say conservative because with 20 + mill to invest you can get in touch with the 1 percenters and their conservative is a lot better than normal joe shmoe conservative.

http://www.investor.gov/tools/calculators/compound-interest-calculator#.VNEASy7CVjY

Put that in the ole compound interest calculator and see what that ends up being around 93 million dollars around the time Cam turns 50.   Why in the holy mary mother of god would he give up that kind of money????

Now this is an oversimplification.  I didn't deduct taxes, agent fees, etc..      But saying there is no difference!!!!!!!

That's not accurate at all.

Cam was the ENTIRE offense for 3.5 years (running & passing), and he's expected to settle for much less than his value, based on people around here?

Silly people...

True.

Plus, a new, big contract shouldn't really bother Cam.

Why?....Cause he's already carried a disproportionate amount of the burden, hopes, blame, expectations, and ire of both the fans and the media, as well as the offense.

I'm not sure I can say the same for Wilson, who's never been in that position since he's came in the league. He's always been on the periphery, benefiting off of what people like Lynch, the OC, and what the defense does many times. Now you give a guy that type of money, and all of a sudden people are looking at you for being the savior, particularly if you have to let certain players go.

No, what we have here are a lot of "IT'S MORE MONEY THAN I'LL EVER HAVE IN MY LIFE, SO THE PLAYERS SHOULD THINK ABOUT THE BIG PICTURE LIKE I'M DOING" people.

This.

For all those here making $50,000 a year...

Your boss pulls you into his office and says, "I gotta tell ya Billy; you have done a swell job. In fact, I think you have been our best performer over the past few years. I know it is time for that raise that you deserve. After doing some research, it looks like market value for your position is $100,000 a year now. That's option 1. We thought about that, but we know since you are such a team player, we wanted to offer another option of a new salary of $70,000 instead, so we can put that money back into improving other areas of the company you love so much, that being option 2. Whata ya say? Which do ya prefer?"

Who here would not take option 1? I'll tell you who: A LIAR.

Archived