• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Class Registration

Mark S

I qualified for conference. But after regionals, my parents had bought me a lot of presents and I would have went over the top if I had asked to go to conference as well. It's okay though because I was only in the standard, which mostly everyone qualifies for. 'll probably sign up for a harder event next year.

Are you a part of DECA competitions or?

i bartend at the place DECA events are held. every year i get parents sneaking down to my bar for a few beers and then i get a slew of kids coming down for virgin strawberry daiquiris and pina coladas. most bartenders get annoyed by the latter, but i actually think it's kind of cool… really sharp individuals rolling through year after year and i've had some conversations with high schoolers on track for some really solid futures that put plenty of burnt-out middle aged guys to shame.

maybe i'll see you up there in a year.

i bartend at the place DECA events are held. every year i get parents sneaking down to my bar for a few beers and then i get a slew of kids coming down for virgin strawberry daiquiris and pina coladas. most bartenders get annoyed by the latter, but i actually think it's kind of cool… really sharp individuals rolling through year after year and i've had some conversations with high schoolers on track for some really solid futures that put plenty of burnt-out middle aged guys to shame.

maybe i'll see you up there in a year.

Sounds like a plan.

Well my teacher already signed me off for Honors English, so AP English is out of the question for me, which I'm fine with.

The only thing on my mind now is whether I should take Spanish 4. I really really do not want to take it. Spanish 3 right now is terrible, so I can't even fathom what 4 will be like. But I do know how good an extra year of a foreign language will look like. Or will it?

I'll agree on what MichaelNewtonII said. Most colleges don't look at AP courses when deciding if you should be admitted or not. They are simply counted towards your overall credits when you start. In other words, you won't have to repeat a course you did in high school.

I love history, so I took AP US History in high school and did pretty well in it. If you're a history buff, I would definitely take this. It might be easier than you think.

Keep telling yourself that colleges do not look at whether you take AP classes during their admission process.

I assure you that you are categorically wrong.

Keep telling yourself that colleges do not look at whether you take AP classes during their admission process.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  I'll admit I have no idea how the admission process works.  I was just giving my two cents based on my experience.  I was simply trying to say that there are multiple things that colleges look at, not just your history of AP classes.

I wasn't telling Mark to not take AP classes.  I took them in high school and I think students should take these classes up to a point.  That point being when it becomes too much to handle and it affects your GPA, your other extracurricular activities, etc.

there's no doubt that they look at them, but i think people may over-value AP classes. a girl i graduated with didn't take a single one, and graduated from harvard a year ago. obviously that's only one case, but not taking AP classes in HS won't cripple your future.

they're nice because you get to skip some bullshit classes you'd have to take otherwise, but those classes are easy anyways and will probably boost your GPA.

APs are a dick-load of work though, especially for highschool classes. honestly it depends on the person and their interests when determining if they're worth taking or not. they definitely appeal to admission offices, but you don't want to tank your GPA, or have them interfere with other poo.

honestly though, junior year is when HS starts to get fun, and i think that's something to consider as well.

important note: i'm not sober

I skimmed it. What's your plan for college? Major?

Instead of taking AP classes why not start hitting up classes from the community college?

I couldn't give you a firm answer for either of those. I want to get in a good college and all but I don't want my entire life to revolve around school, which is what I would imagine taking classes from the community college would be.

Right now I'm still just stuck on whether or not I should take Spanish 4. I'm leaning towards no, so the 3 AP's I'm taking can be manageable. But I'm not so sure yet.

We had an AP Fair yesterday after school where our principal was raving on and on about our school (Ardrey Kell). He was also saying how if we take 5 or 6 AP's throughout high school then we'll be able to get into the best colleges. I'm on pace to have 7 or 8. But the part he was stressing a lot, was stress. He always gets complaints of Ardrey Kell putting too much pressure on their students, causing them a lot of stress. But he really he was saying he wants us to take one AP by the end of high school just so we are prepared for college.

Anyway, I went around and got some info about the classes. Computer Science sounded interesting, it's basically a programming class. And of course, macroeconomics is like the major aspects of economy. I didn't get to see US History, rumored to be the hardest AP in all of Ardrey Kell, and after a friend went, he strongly recommended me not to take it. I don't know.

I couldn't give you a firm answer for either of those. I want to get in a good college and all but I don't want my entire life to revolve around school, which is what I would imagine taking classes from the community college would be.

Right now I'm still just stuck on whether or not I should take Spanish 4. I'm leaning towards no, so the 3 AP's I'm taking can be manageable. But I'm not so sure yet.

So you won't be majoring in engineering?

Archived