• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Carolina Pass up on Offensive Tackle at 25?

Bj-Monster23

Dj Humphries might be a name to put on the list.. He is going to blow up at the combine and increase his stock...

This guy is starting to get a lot of hype. I keep reading he could end up being a 1st round pick. I read he played well against top SEC competition. I believe he could be more pro ready than Clemmings.

Two guys that started as rookies last season were:

Jake Matthews

James Hurst

Now big arms do matter but I wouldn't be so definitive in that regard.

Both of those tackles struggled according to pff stats and Mathews was ranked at the very bottom of the list of tackles this season.

Mathews was a can't miss prospect that was the son of one of the best offensive linemen of all time. Now I know you shouldn't consider someone a bust after one season but you would expect more from a top 10 pick.

Gettleman has said it before and he'll probably stay the same course with this draft. He's not going to draft someone in the first round unless they can immediately contribute to the team. Looking at the list of Tackles that will probably be available, I doubt he goes that direction in the first round.

Good question, BJ.  There are 2 things that could cause us to draft another position--(of course there are more, but this is how I see it):

1. If no T you mention above is on the board.  Over the past 2 years, the top 5 OTs are gone by the 19th pick of the first round.  It could be that the only tackles on the board are Fisher or Sambrailo.  They are not first rounders, IMO.

2. If a top DL or WR is on the board, we could decide to wait--all of the T have some asterisk by their names.  Too soft, a RT,  was abused at SR bowl, etc.

This draft simply does not excite me with its OT's. Other positions will be better picks at 25.I am pretty confident that it won't be a tackle in the first. I am guessing WR, SECONDARY or DE. Yes we need one, but it has to always be BPA and I don't believe any of those tackles will be that at 25. We will see and I firmly trust our GM to make the right selection.

Obviously, we know Gman was not the GM, but, he was intimately involved and chosen for us because of the philosophy the Giants had. This is interesting from 1998 -2012. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/draft.htm Lots of DB's, DE's, DT's and a few skill players on offense. Just sayin, don't be surprised at a defensive player or WR on draft day

This guy is starting to get a lot of hype. I keep reading he could end up being a 1st round pick. I read he played well against top SEC competition. I believe he could be more pro ready than Clemmings.

Both of those tackles struggled according to pff stats and Mathews was ranked at the very bottom of the list of tackles this season.

Mathews was a can't miss prospect that was the son of one of the best offensive linemen of all time. Now I know you shouldn't consider someone a bust after one season but you would expect more from a top 10 pick.

Yeah no doubt, they did struggle but I was just addressing Stirs saying guys below 34 can't play LT.  As I also said, Joe Thomas, Gross, and Duane Brown all have sub-34 arms.  It's not a game breaker but it is something to consider. 

I think Humphries and Collins would fit best for us out of the tackle class.  I'm open to offense and defense though in R1. 

Archived