• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is 'BPA, or be damned' a flaw with Gettleman's draft philosophy?

top dawg

Anyone who has listened to Dave Gettleman discuss his draft philosophy, and has seen him in action, knows that he is adamant about drafting the best player available---without deviation---every single pick. He has said it many times before, even in his latest presser at the NFL Combine. He not only repeated it, he repeated it with emphasis. He basically said that he doesn't care if there is a perceived strength at a certain position, or if he ended up with five studs at a position, he is going to draft the BPA. And...he said it's not going to change. G-man said that this breeds competition, which is a good thing.

I wonder if his philosophy works to the detriment of having a balanced team. Moreover, does it facilitate striking while the iron is hot? I mean, the window of opportunity doesn't necessarily stay open too long. Winning championships seems sometimes like Whack-A-Mole (if you know what I'm saying). Being imbalanced at the critical moment(s), and you miss out.

Now, I sometimes think that he is still basically a new GM, "Does he have a good handle on what he's doing?" Then, I remember, he played a key role in helping the Giants bring home multiple pieces of hardware, so "Maybe he is absolutely right." It's hard to argue with success. But then I think, "Was it really his success? I mean, what part did he really play? Perhaps he was just lucky." But then I must admit to myself that so far G-man has been pretty successful here, all things considered. He also has plenty of experience and outstanding football acumen as it relates to personnel matters. I just don't believe that he came up with such a rigid philosophy on an island, but that it comes from his own experience, the lessons of others, and success on a fundamental level.

I guess I have to believe that his draft philosophy is sound.

Thoughts?

He can say it as many times as he wants. He has yet to back it up on draft day. Not that there is any problem with that of course.

He very clearly wants to be a guy who is a routine active player in FA. Once we're able to do that and our needs arent as significant come draft day then I'm sure he will be full minded of that philosophy. But it isnt something we've seen from him so far, nor should it have been.

Just look at the last 2 drafts.

That's great, but what about the balance of the team as it relates to always drafting the BPA, irrespective of perceived or real strengths and/or needs?

It's going to take more than a couple of drafts to answer that question.

You may be taking the BPA thing a bit too literally.

I'm fine with his approach. We've seen what drafting for need and being desperate to fill a position has done to a franchise.

Perhaps, but I have always thought that taking the BPA is sound through round 4, but I sometimes think that in rounds 5 through 7, it may be prudent to give the need part of the equation a bit more deference

As is the case every year, going BPA isn't some random fortune cookie sliver of ancient football wisdom that most of this board seems to think it is. It's a reference to picking the best player available *on your board* A board that is assembled through a variety a of factors-one of those factors being gasp! Need.

Archived