• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

D Will says Panthers didn't reach out to him when his mother died

QCkilla

For those who haven't had to bury their parent(s). My mom passed on a Wednesday. And we had the funeral on Sunday. We literally had 48 hours after passing to notify CMC where to bring my mother.

If its the off-season and players and owners arent around. It might be hard to get on a plane and be at a funeral within 48 hours of being notified of where and when.

I haven't watched the interview and I honestly don't really care to. You shouldn't expect an employer to really do much now a days. The panther organization has 60+ players, a coaching staff and then staff in the office and stadium. I bet you that none of them expect Jerry Richardson to come to a funeral.

Deangelo should in a way feel good and feel lucky in a way that he is in a situation where he could take care of his mother financially. If not he could switch with me and bury his mom at 25 and with no life insurance and have the burden of taking over that.

I'd say there is a lesson in here somewhere about internalization vs externalization. 

If my friends didn't show up to something that was very important to me: 

Externalization: I have crappy friends

Internalization: How can I be a better friend and in turn make them want to come next time. 

For those who haven't had to bury their parent(s). My mom passed on a Wednesday. And we had the funeral on Sunday. We literally had 48 hours after passing to notify CMC where to bring my mother.

If its the off-season and players and owners arent around. It might be hard to get on a plane and be at a funeral within 48 hours of being notified of where and when.

I haven't watched the interview and I honestly don't really care to. You shouldn't expect an employer to really do much now a days. The panther organization has 60+ players, a coaching staff and then staff in the office and stadium. I bet you that none of them expect Jerry Richardson to come to a funeral.

Deangelo should in a way feel good and feel lucky in a way that he is in a situation where he could take care of his mother financially. If not he could switch with me and bury his mom at 25 and with no life insurance and have the burden of taking over that.

Condolences PB

imagine one of your parents dying and going into work and no one sends their condolences. highly doubt you would enjoy that environment, but yes lets all pretend this is on DeAngelo. 

I don't have to imagine that because it happened to me.

NO ONE of my co-workers knew my Mother.  They expressed their condolences to me face-to-face.  I certainly didn't expect anything more than that.  Why should I have?  Unless, of course, I think that me and my Mom were way more important than anyone else and deserved everyone else's explicit and special attention?

Pay attention to me or I'll be an ass!  That's kind of self-centered, don't you think?

Dear DeAngelo:  YOUR mother was no more important than MY mother. 

My wife lost her mom to cancer two years ago. Her company gave her ample time off and sent flowers. That was more than we expected. 

I guess its about expectations, and apparently Deangelo had his too high. 

Agree, my wife lost her father back in November and her boss, who lives in Connecticut, sent flowers and she had one of her underwriters, who is local, attend the visitation. I really don't know who or why someone would expect more than that.  

A friend and co worker is going through something similar this week. He is taking off to go to the funeral but only mentioned why to a select few at work. It's not something he wants to be out there. I doubt  he would want the company to bring it up at all.

First DeAngelo tweets that "owner and leadership" didn't reach out to him.

https://twitter.com/deangelorb/status/570047602974175232

.@DrewTangClan91 yes i was referring to the owner and leadership, not coach rivera or teammates.

Then he states that after he called Rivera, Gettleman called him right afterwards.

https://twitter.com/deangelorb/status/570045659526631425

@CarolinaHuddle I called Rivera and Dave called right after on his on behalf as soon as it happened! It was during the draft

Well... which is it?

Did "leadership" not reach out?  Or did Gettleman call?

Sounds like he's having a tough time keeping his story straight.

Condolences PB

Thanks and its just a lesson learned. That was almost two years ago now and I take the opportunity to talk to people about expecting the unexpected and being prepared. I manage over 40 employees now most of which are under the age of 30. 90% don't even think about that stuff happening and I know I didnt.

My wife lost her mom to cancer two years ago. Her company gave her ample time off and sent flowers. That was more than we expected. 

I guess its about expectations, and apparently Deangelo had his too high. 

Well, to be fair, a football team is probably more in nature like a fraternity than a traditional business.

That said, the whole notion of expecting other people to do certain things to mourn for your lost loved one does kinda strike me as being more about you than the person you lost.

Focusing on his mother though, the team (and the league) made a pretty big deal out of her with the breast cancer awareness campaign.  Does this story negate that?  Not to me.  Others may feel differently.

Archived