• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Mock Draft Rounds 4-5

Jeremy Igo

Until the NFL announces the 2015 compensatory picks during the NFL owners meeting, I will only be mocking the picks the Panthers have at this point without speculating on how many they may have. Hopefully they can pick up at least an additional fifth rounder. 

Round 4 

Tyler Lockett - WR/PR - Kansas ST

The Panthers address their long term punt return issues in the 4th round with this selection.

Lockett could be the best punt returner in the draft. He could drop to the late 3rd / early 4th due to concerns over his size. The Panthers may need to trade up to grab him. Good college production and a solid combine performance keeps him from dropping further. 

Would also compete immediately as a slot receiver. Has quick first steps to get separation. Known as a student of the game with high football IQ. Quality route runner. Would love to see him develop chemistry with Cam Newton. 

This pick could change should Ginn or another free agent punt returner be signed by the Panthers. 

Round 5 

Lynden Trail - DE - Norfolk St

Lynden Trail is a raw NFL project with tremendous upside. Dave Gettleman won't be able to pass up this chance to discover a late round starting defensive end for the Panthers. Gettleman has also shown a willingness to take on projects if the physical upside is there. 

6'7 and 270 pounds he has the frame to compete at this level eventually as a defensive end but could contribute immediately on special teams. Look for the Panthers to have him put on ten more pounds through their training regimen. This kid is pure athlete, can also play tight end. 

Long story short, Gettleman won't be able to stop himself from taking Trail late in the 5th. 

First WR taken is in the 4th round?  Do you have us picking up Ginn or is our offense going to look exactly the same besides on the offensive line (D-Will didn't play that much last year.)

Gettleman has repeatedly said how deep this draft is at receiver. That can be translated to solid prospects being available in later rounds, may not be the case with other positions. 

Gettleman has repeatedly said how deep this draft is at receiver. That can be translated to solid prospects being available in later rounds, may not be the case with other positions.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to believe if a guy like SS Collins falls we will pass on him. Getts really likes a value and he doesn't care at all about where other people rank a guy. If he ranks each of your first three picks as BPA in their round, he will grab them......without any hesitation. Leaving WR/DE the likely picks in the 4th and 5th rounds. He has said very plainly they are the deep classes.

Well, we all know that the Panthers are almost certain to draft some project out of a small school, so Lynden Trail certainly fits that mold.  I don't like him though.  He was supposed to have tremendous upside, but the workout numbers didn't reflect it.  You also want to see small school prospects dominate at that level.  5 sacks in D1AA from a guy who is supposed to be a freak?  How did he do at the Senior Bowl?  Hell, did he even go?  He was invisible all week according to most reports.

I like Lockett a lot.  He should be able to come in and inject some much needed speed into our WR corps, but just as importantly, be able to provide a much needed spark to our return game.  We simply didn't have a return game last year.  Bersin was essentially sent out there to simply fair catch the ball and he even sucked at that.  I can't ever remember being so nervous during punt returns in my life.  Forcing the other team to punt is usually a good thing.  It was nerve wracking last year.

In short, I like you're 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounders, but IMO you've taken two guys in the top 5 rounds who have a decent chance of going undrafted. 

Well, we all know that the Panthers are almost certain to draft some project out of a small school, so Lynden Trail certainly fits that mold. I don't like him though. He was supposed to have tremendous upside, but the workout numbers didn't reflect it. You also want to see small school prospects dominate at that level. 5 sacks in D1AA from a guy who is supposed to be a freak? How did he do at the Senior Bowl? Hell, did he even go? He was invisible all week according to most reports.

I like Lockett a lot. He should be able to come in and inject some much needed speed into our WR corps, but just as importantly, be able to provide a much needed spark to our return game. We simply didn't have a return game last year. Bersin was essentially sent out there to simply fair catch the ball and he even sucked at that. I can't ever remember being so nervous during punt returns in my life. Forcing the other team to punt is usually a good thing. It was nerve wracking last year.

In short, I like you're 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounders, but IMO you've taken two guys in the top 5 rounds who have a decent chance of going undrafted.

What can I say, I enjoy life on the edge.

• Pie 1

I'm an OU fan, I watched Lockett in the Big 12 an immense amount of times.  He is a slot guy at best, eh, and obviously a punt returner.  Thinking about Jericho Cotchery lined up beside Kelvin Benjamin again as our 2nd receiver makes me vomit in my mouth a bit.  

• Pie 2

Honestly, I kind of see it the other way.  Gettleman seems to want value over anything else in the draft.  When a draft is deep at a position, it's probably inevitably going to push some prospects at that position a little further down the board than they may normally go.  That's the type of situation Gettleman seems to relish.  Last year's WR class was considered one of the best of all time and their rookie production absolutely lived up to the hype they got.  At #28, Gettleman still took a WR even though it was the 5th WR off the board.  We all know what KB did as a rookie.  Once again, if a guy like Jaelen Strong is sitting there at #25, I don't think Gettleman lets him get away.  This is another deep WR class, but after the top 4 guys, I think there's a big drop off to the rest of the field.  I think Cooper, White, Parker, and Strong are about as close to sure things as you can get in the NFL draft.  After those guys though, you have a mix of WRs who have speed but not great hands, have great hands but not great speed, have durability concerns, etc.  I think those 4 are probably the top 4 WRs on just about every board, maybe not in that order, but those 4 guys.  After those 4, I think boards are going to vary widely based on what teams are looking for in a WR.

• Pie 3

I'm an OU fan, I watched Lockett in the Big 12 an immense amount of times.  He is a slot guy at best, eh, and obviously a punt returner.  Thinking about Jericho Cotchery lined up beside Kelvin Benjamin again as our 2nd receiver makes me vomit in my mouth a bit.  

You wouldn't take a really good slot guy and returner in the 4th round?  I would.  The reason nickel CBs are so valuable these days is because there are a lot of high impact slot WRs out there now.  If you can get a good one in the 4th round, I wouldn't even hesitate.

You wouldn't take a really good slot guy and returner in the 4th round?  I would.  The reason nickel CBs are so valuable these days is because there are a lot of high impact slot WRs out there now.  If you can get a good one in the 4th round, I wouldn't even hesitate.

Oh no, it's not even that.  I'm thinking about what Cam has to throw to.  As most of us know, he isn't Russel Wilson and can't throw to complete poo receivers his career and it work (even though he did throw 4 picks to the shitty ass Packers).  I just don't like thinking about Olsen, and KB being our best receiving options again.  But one step at a time, I guess.