• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Olsen Exstention Saves Panthers $1.5 Million in Cap Space

NJPanthers12

1.5 million will go a long way in picking up another receiver

Why is the contract back loaded? I don't understand the big hits at the end. Isn't that what Hurney did to screw us?  I love Olsen, but I don't think it was very smart to put 10 million on the books for each of the last 2 years. He will be 33 and 34 years old.

Why is the contract back loaded? I don't understand the big hits at the end. Isn't that what Hurney did to screw us?  I love Olsen, but I don't think it was very smart to put 10 million on the books for each of the last 2 years. He will be 33 and 34 years old.

More of a 2 year contract.  Will need to see the guaranteed salary to see full effect. Last 2 years could be voidable with hardly any cap hit.

Why is the contract back loaded? I don't understand the big hits at the end. Isn't that what Hurney did to screw us? I love Olsen, but I don't think it was very smart to put 10 million on the books for each of the last 2 years. He will be 33 and 34 years old.

Depends on how much is guaranteed.. they can restructure, ask him to take a pay cut, or cut him. I don't like the way it's set up either, though. DG better be planning on using that money for good things

Why is the contract back loaded? I don't understand the big hits at the end. Isn't that what Hurney did to screw us? I love Olsen, but I don't think it was very smart to put 10 million on the books for each of the last 2 years. He will be 33 and 34 years old.

For one, it always makes sense to backload a contract a bit since they expect the salary cap to climb a bit in the next few years.

Depends on how much is guaranteed.. they can restructure, ask him to take a pay cut, or cut him. I don't like the way it's set up either, though. DG better be planning on using that money for good things

I think those good things are Cam and Luke. I also view this as only a 2-year extension. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make it to that last year. Also with the cap possibly raising almost 20 million in the next 2 years, I don't think a 10 million cap hit will be awful.

I agree. I feel like it's setting us up for another Smitty scenario. However, Olsen is such a class act he might do what Gross did and just retire even though he has a couple more seasons left in the tank.

I figured he may have reduced his base. Only way this would've actually saved money, though I was fine with using up $3m in space just to lock him down.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see his other tweet breaking it down further.

How is it backloaded? Yearly cap hits..

2015: $6.3m

2016: $7.1m

2017: $7.1m

2018: $6.5m

Though I'm sure there are some other incentives in there, damn good deal IMO.

That's looking a lot better. OP said cap hits were $6.3M, $5.1M, $10.35M & $9.75M.

That's looking a lot better. OP said cap hits were $6.3M, $5.1M, $10.35M & $9.75M.

That's my bad actually, I was breaking it down based on the assumption that the base was equally spread (I thought spotrac had it that way, but now it's blank there).

Looks like a recipe for a 2017 restructure if the reported numbers are right though.

Archived