• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fear the Walking Dead - Season 1

Hotsauce

Leaving the gate unshut, and showing the folks playing a game at their dinner table as the crew rolls out of the neighborhood follows up on a big theme of the show ... and that is that the idea of neighborhoods and neighbors just doesn't mean anything anymore. When the daughter says she doesn't know the neighbors, so she isn't telling them about the soldiers pulling out of town, it's the whole crux of FTWD so far.

You can pan back a little more and see that it's being played through in that the only thing people pay attention to is obligation, not any overall sense of neighborhood, city or country. The people of the city break down first and riot because of what the cops do, not knowing why they are doing it... then the soldiers come and make safe zones, but they bail out to protect themselves and their own when it gets too rough. And then the main characters do the same, leaving their unknown and unknowing neighbors to whatever fate they get.

Obligations stick, though. The family is obligated to Daniel because he took them in during the riots. The junkie is obligated to Strand because of what he did in the holding cells, and is also obligated to his mom and stepdad who came for him and saved him before. His sister and step brother are obligated to each other now because they share the secret of breaking into that house and partying. Strand is obligated to the rest of the group because he would be dead without them pulling him out of the compound.

And obligations will be where the drama streams from in the next season. Strand lived and died by manipulating obligations in the world before zombies and he'll lean heavy on that. He'll write Daniel off as a simple immigrant barber, though, and he'll pay for it in the long run. The junkie will be pulled back and forth because, well, that's what happens to junkies in dramas.

It's going to be a good show, but man it took some time to get rolling.

Daniel (and maybe the rest?) are some pretty selfish people. I suppose when the poo hits the fan that is the exact time to be selfish. But to unleash 1000's of the dead from the arena only to save the son and his wife! At the expense of other countless human lives. Morbid as fug!

Man, Travis does have that "Rick Rage" inside him too.  Then again, I can really empathize with him.  The solider coming back to shoot the daughter would set me into a murderous rage too.  That was so good.

The way I took it Travis raged out on the dude because he just realized his previous actions of setting the solider free just cost the life of Daniel's daughter. During the time of his rage he didn't know if she was dead or not. I think that was the beginning of his resurrection. To start from a guy that says he hates guns to putting a bullet in the skull of his ex-wife by his own hand his extremely telling.

So did anyone else notice Travis has those abdominal tattoos?  Hrm...  I strongly agree that Travis has a darker past.  Why has he tired to be such a "good guy" all show long?  He's running from a dark, violent past...He could be very scary.

I missed that. About when in the show it is? I'll see if I can grab a screen cap.

Oh btw that boat was fake as hell! lol C"mon Man.

As the show ended and as the camera panned out over the ocean I was hoping to see Tobias on a little dingy paddling his ass off towards Abigail. hehehe

It was in episode 3 I think it after he and Madison "made up" in the car. Great point about his rage...I just projected my feelings there :)  I am going to really enjoy seeing how his character develops after all of that...

Yeah, the boat was terrible...but they did just have a ton of zombies...only so much money in the budget.

After digesting for a few days, I think Fear has a better place two to start than TWD.  Really excited for season two, and the return of TWD!

Daniel (and maybe the rest?) are some pretty selfish people. I suppose when the poo hits the fan that is the exact time to be selfish. But to unleash 1000's of the dead from the arena only to save the son and his wife! At the expense of other countless human lives. Morbid as fug!

I have two thoughts on that.

1) I am not sure that anybody understood the gravity of letting out that many walkers.  They probably thought it would be a distraction so they could get in and out but expected the Army to take care of them.  None of them have really seen what a swarm of them can do.

2) The Army was going to kill them all on their way out.  They do not  have the weaponry, training, or numbers to fight back so they fought them with the only thing at their  disposal.  Carol used the walkers at Terminus in a similar way.  The Army was their enemy at that point.

I like the idea of getting on a boat and moving around, it's one of the few times a zombie show/movie used an idea that normal people thought of.  I think the creators of the show said they'll sort of sail around and whatnot.  Zombie pirates?

Archived