• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RUMOR: Panthers looking to move up to 16-20th pick

@bobbyagnese

We also drafted kug in the 4th the year before, he wasn't the bpa at that pick(IMO)

but so many things to factor into that i wouldn't know the answer, but i'm sure when he drafted bene he was the bpa on our board otherwise we wouldn't have taken him.

that's why bpa is a myth IMO and hard to break down when you don't know how high a team rates a player, my only gripe is the whole don't draft for need when considering bpa, but again it depends on the gm and their draft board.

BPA is a good debate but in all honesty it's hard for anyone to pinpoint the concept

I dont think its difficult to pinpoint the concept at all.  For some reason, people are making it much more complicated than it needs to be.  

In regards to Kugbilla,  I'd like to think that he was the highest rated player on our board at the time.. if not, then Gettleman would be going against his own philosophy, and show that he doesnt have a strong conviction in his own beliefs.  All GMs say they will take the BPA...but its much easier said than done.  I hope our GM is one of the few that is not afraid to stick to his guns.

On a side note: its very easy for you to say Kugbilla wasnt the BPA... He hasnt even been healthy enough to play so you have nothing to base that on.  Hopefully, our scouts knew what they were doing when they rated him.  Remember, no one hits on every pick though..

Kugbila may very well not have been BPA but unless you have access to the Panthers draft board then there is absolutely no way to know that conclusively. He also could have been ranked very highly on our board which could have been a scouting failure or he just hasn't been healthy enough for us to ever find out if he's any good. The player who went immediately after Kugbila was David Bakhtiari who has started 32 straight games at LT for the Packers so there was definitely a miss there though.

Kugbila may very well not have been BPA but unless you have access to the Panthers draft board then there is absolutely no way to know that conclusively. He also could have been ranked very highly on our board which could have been a scouting failure or he just hasn't been healthy enough for us to ever find out if he's any good. The player who went immediately after Kugbila was David Bakhtiari who has started 32 straight games at LT for the Packers so there was definitely a miss there though.

You are right...there is no way to know for sure.  I'm just saying that I hope Kugbilla was the highest rated player on our board, because that would mean that Gettleman has a strong conviction in his own philosophy and is a man of his word.  So far, I have good reason to believe him, because his actions so far seem to back up his words (not taking an OT when it was a HUGE need, doubling up on DTs in rounds 1 and 2, not overpaying in FA just to fill a need, etc.).  You dont have to reach when you are good at finding talent and good fits in the lower half of your roster. He has shown he can do just that.

What if we acquire a pick or trade up days before the draft? Is the player we select not BPA?

What if we acquire a pick for a player without giving up picks of our own? Is the player selected not BPA?

It's all semantics.

Once you understand the concept, all of those questions can be answered very easily, and you wont get confused by semantics.

Giving up a third would suck but I really want dgb.. Him and kb would be a amazing one/two for years to come

yea but you have to know there's no way JR would let Gettleman draft a guy who admitted to pushing his gf down three flights of stairs if he wouldn't let him resign an elite DE whose only crime since joining the team was associating with a gold digger and getting hustled.

Think about 6'5 and 6'6 receivers and a 6'5 tight end with cam extending plays down in the redzone.. We could have a scary offense.

There have been a countless number of tall receivers that haven't worked out so well.

I just want a receiver that can get open and catch the ball.. If anything, I actually think I like the idea of having receivers with different skill sets.

Same 3 teams that most "experts" had us finishing behind before the year, much less before losing 10% of our cap over political face saving bullchit.

Who cares about experts, they were right about us. Most had us as an 8-8 team before the season and we finished under that. They just didn't know the rest of the division would be worse.

Archived