• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman's pre-draft press conference on Tuesday

Fidel Cashflow

I noticed one really interesting thing when watching that again. When Gettleman talks about the 2010 draft and Jerry Reese wondering about how high they would have to go to be able to pick Maclin, he remarks that Maclin was the only complete WR in that draft because he was able to run a full route tree. That is something he also said about Odell Beckham Jr following last years draft. Now when looking at this years draft there are two WR's that fit the same profile of complete receivers who are very good route runners and those are Amari Cooper and Nelson Agholor. Cooper is obviously out of our range, but Agholor very much is in our range at 25. I think he might be a lot higher on our board than most people on here, myself included, and the media think he is. If there were to be a darkhorse for the 25th pick that not many have linked us with I think Nelson Agholor is that guy.

I noticed one really interesting thing when watching that again. When Gettleman talks about the 2010 draft and Jerry Reese wondering about how high they would have to go to be able to pick Maclin, he remarks that Maclin was the only complete WR in that draft because he was able to run a full route tree. That is something he also said about Odell Beckham Jr following last years draft. Now when looking at this years draft there are two WR's that fit the same profile of complete receivers who are very good route runners and those are Amari Cooper and Nelson Agholor. Cooper is obviously out of our range, but Agholor very much is in our range at 25. I think he might be a lot higher on our board than most people on here, myself included, and the media think he is. If there were to be a darkhorse for the 25th pick that not many have linked us with I think Nelson Agholor is that guy.

To go along with your analysis, the panthers have looked alot at Devin Smith (brought him in for a private workout). Since the guy has so much talent running down the field and getting open and not much tape doing anything else except for curl, slant routes. The guy knows how to get separation. They brought him in to see if he could become more than what was shown on tape, so i would not be surprised if he was the pick at number one if he showed more than what he was used for.

To go along with your analysis, the panthers have looked alot at Devin Smith (brought him in for a private workout). Since the guy has so much talent running down the field and getting open and not much tape doing anything else except for curl, slant routes. The guy knows how to get separation. They brought him in to see if he could become more than what was shown on tape, so i would not be surprised if he was the pick at number one if he showed more than what he was used for.

I'm with you there on Smith. Based on what I've seen in games he is not a 1st round pick, but his private workout if he totally nails it and shows a smooth full tree could convince me he is a 1st round pick. However, having not seen that and just the super high bar he'd need to clear in a workout I say he's a 2nd, but he is one of the few guys given the skills he has shown and lack of opportunity to show that he is complete WR I'd give a legit chance to move up a lot in a workout.

At the end, he also spoke of the devaluation of the RB position.  He emphatically stated that you cannot waste a 1st round pick on a RB that cannot pickup the blitz and that a 1st round RB had to be a 3 down back.

Gordon will not be the pick.

At the end, he also spoke of the devaluation of the RB position. He emphatically stated that you cannot waste a 1st round pick on a RB that cannot pickup the blitz and that a 1st round RB had to be a 3 down back.

Gordon will not be the pick.

Had the same thought. Although I'm only going on what others say about his pass blocking. I can't say I can definitively speak to any RBs pass blocking skills.

Did you catch the last statement made at that conference?

[At the time we are in the midst of talking long-term contracts with Hardy..]

Person asks DG about Hardy coming in for workouts and being in the facility.

DG: "I wanted him here to be close to me. *chuckle-chuckle* "

Oh DG, how little you knew back then... :(

Did you catch the last statement made at that conference?

[At the time we are in the midst of talking long-term contracts with Hardy..]

Person asks DG about Hardy coming in for workouts and being in the facility.

DG: "I wanted him here to be close to me. *chuckle-chuckle* "

Oh DG, how little you knew back then... :(

Yep, pretty eerie in hindsight. It shows that Gettleman knew Hardy was a head case even before the whole incident went down. 

Archived