• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Davis high on Shaq Thompson, calls Shaq "a better athlete than was," proud to be compared to Shaq

gettlemanjack

Hes a backup day one for us. We don't stay in base and spent over 60%(give or take) of our time in nickel. We already have the best coverage lbs in the game so why get another when we have bigger needs at ol cb and wr. a player who sees the field 30% of the time is not what you draft in the first 2 rounds.

We got reamed in the running game last season and our tackling from our DBs was beyond atrocious.

let Luke and TD dominate up front and let Shaq do what he does best, which is a sideline to sideline, out route, mid-field and seam cover guy that tracks balls in the air, deflecting and intercepting passes. Thats Shaq

'nough said.

I'm certain that this guy is exactly the type of player Gettlemen covets and is higher on his draft board than many realize. He will play a lot on this team no matter what round he's drafted in and you can count on that. If Gettlemen pulls the trigger if he's there in round 1 I guarantee Shaq plays day 1 and does well. That's how much faith I have in Gettlemen's evaluation given his philosophy in building a team. No worries, he got dis.

We got reamed in the running game last season and our tackling from our DBs was beyond atrocious.

let Luke and TD dominate up front and let Shaq do what he does best, which is a sideline to sideline, out route, mid-field and seam cover guy that tracks balls in the air, deflecting and intercepting passes. Thats Shaq

'nough said.

If our running defense was so weak, I'm not sure why we're drafting Thompson. That's his weakest skill set.

So let get this straight: I've heard one and only one criticism of Shaq: he's has bad instincts. Let's assume this is the case. Is that it? Anything else?

We're picking 25 not 1. We won't have the perfect player. They're gonna have flaws. And it seems to me that he only has one, and not everyone agrees that he even has bad instincts.

If our running defense was so weak, I'm not sure why we're drafting Thompson. That's his weakest skill set.

If TD and Luke get out in coverage because we dont have the personnel to cover, that opens up the running game for the offense.

You put Shaq in coverage and let Luke or TD cover the backs. Problem solved.

Hes a backup day one for us. We don't stay in base and spent over 60%(give or take) of our time in nickel. We already have the best coverage lbs in the game so why get another when we have bigger needs at ol cb and wr. a player who sees the field 30% of the time is not what you draft in the first 2 rounds.

In response to our "needs"....

"When you reach, you get screwed" - Gettleman

So let get this straight: I've heard one and only one criticism of Shaq: he's has bad instincts. Let's assume this is the case. Is that it? Anything else?

We're picking 25 not 1. We won't have the perfect player. They're gonna have flaws. And it seems to me that he only has one, and not everyone agrees that he even has bad instincts.

His biggest "flaw" is that he sticks to blocks too often in the run game. An NFL strength and conditioning program and some technique work should remedy this fairly quickly. 

If TD and Luke get out in coverage because we dont have the personnel to cover, that opens up the running game for the offense.

You put Shaq in coverage and let Luke or TD cover the backs. Problem solved.

And what scheme would this be in?

Are you always going to call the same plays and each player have the same responsibilities?

His biggest "flaw" is that he sticks to blocks too often in the run game. An NFL strength and conditioning program and some technique work should remedy this fairly quickly.

I feel, with coaching and strength/conditioning, Shaq will become better at shedding blocks in the run game. Til then, we need TD or Luke on the ball carrier, maybe both...and a tweener to take one of their places in mid-field/seam coverage so that Luke and TD are free to take on blocks and pressure.

The hope is that when TD hangs 'em up, Shaq will be seasoned and conditiones to take his place.

Archived