• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets Starting A D-League Team

Hopefully Asheville gets it. We have familiarity with the area after using them as training camp, they recently renovated the Civic Center which is the ideal size, and it's far enough away and in a small enough community to be appreciated by the market yet close enough to be convenient for the team.

Also Asheville is the only city to win back to back d-league titles. Unfortunately the team relocated after the second one, but this was before the d league was really taken seriously by the nba as a minor league system.

Obligatory "They're already a d-league team!" joke...

Hopefully Asheville gets it. We have familiarity with the area after using them as training camp, they recently renovated the Civic Center which is the ideal size, and it's far enough away and in a small enough community to be appreciated by the market yet close enough to be convenient for the team.

Also Asheville is the only city to win back to back d-league titles. Unfortunately the team relocated after the second one, but this was before the d league was really taken seriously by the nba as a minor league system.

Prediction: Asheville or Charleston. Even odds on either.

Yeah, I would love to see it in Raleigh... I'm 15 mins away.

Or my hometown, Fayetteville... I worry about anything in Fayetteville,becsude of the crime and such, but hey, if everyone can turn their head and pretend Durham is cool and safe while Duke wins, they can with Fayetteville too...

Fun fact: I was a ball boy for the Fayetteville Patriots when we had them back in '02-03. Shook hands with Nate Archibald, who was our coach. Gave water to college greats like Omar Cook, Erick Barkley, And1 Player Lonnie Harrell, Terrell McIntyre, Mateen Cleaves, Jason Collier (the one that signed with the Hawks and died), and Birdman. Good times. Gerald Green played there after I had moved away too.

From what I remember, Fayetteville had among the best attendance each year, but then they folded... That's why I'm surprised each time we hear of new franchises opening up in the nbdl... So many have had good attendance and success on the court, and they still fold... I think it's because they just hemorrhage money. So unless the NBA has a budget set aside to completely allow them to stand alone, I have no idea how they operate. Regardless, I'd love to see it.

Asheville would be awesome, I'd go to games all the time.

It should be Asheville or Charleston. Charleston is actually ideal: a growing city with lots of 20-somethings, who, sorry Asheville, like social life that extends beyond breweries and book stores (though I admit I enjoy both). They'd draw well there.

Raleigh would be bad because it'd compete with State and the Hurricanes. Fayetteville, Greenville and others? Thanks for playing, but an emphatic no.

It should be Asheville or Charleston. Charleston is actually ideal: a growing city with lots of 20-somethings, who, sorry Asheville, like social life that extends beyond breweries and book stores (though I admit I enjoy both). They'd draw well there.

Raleigh would be bad because it'd compete with State and the Hurricanes. Fayetteville, Greenville and others? Thanks for playing, but an emphatic no.

TWC Arena to US Cellular Center (Asheville ): 2 hours 13 minutes

TWC Arena to North Charleston Coliseum (Charleston): 3 hours 7 minutes

True, but a D-League team is not going to make poo off of ticket sales no matter where they put it.

They would make more money in long run growing their market and growing their presence in the Raleigh market than worrying about ticket sales.

We have more competition, but we have more people and more diversity than Asheville and Charleston.

Actually Triad area makes a lot of sense too. So I vote Raleigh or Greensboro

I wouldn't write off fayetteville so quickly either... mj's brother, larry, lived there for years while he was serving in the army. Larry has a position with the team in the front office now and there is literally nothing else to do in Fayetteville, although i have to admit, the crown coliseum is starting to get up there in years... regardless, they have a history of supporting a dleague team and it would expand/secure the fanbase.

Buzz Peterson, also employed by mj, has connections to Asheville, iirc.

And Raleigh just makes sense because it's the capital/a big market in the state and the team could go a long way in expanding and securing the fanbase in-state by putting it there... and the expendable income is there too. I guess the same could be said for Greensboro, but i think thats too close to Charlotte.

I wouldn't write off fayetteville so quickly either... mj's brother, larry, lived there for years while he was serving in the army. Larry has a position with the team in the front office now and there is literally nothing else to do in Fayetteville, although i have to admit, the crown coliseum is starting to get up there in years... regardless, they have a history of supporting a dleague team and it would expand/secure the fanbase.

Buzz Peterson does also and has connections to Asheville, iirc.

And Raleigh just makes sense because it's the capital/a big market in the state and the team could go along way in expanding and securing the fanbase in-state by putting it there... and the expendable income is there too. I guess the same could be said for Greensboro, but i think thats too close to Charlotte.

Didn't Fayetteville have a D-league team at one point?

Not that it matters just curious

Archived