• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Panthers had most underrated offseason of any team"

SCP

Interesting sequence of Tweets from Chris Trapasso, NFL.com Editor.

@ChrisTrapasso: #Panthers had most underrated offseason of any team. Re-signed Dickson, Olsen. FA adds: Coleman, Trusnik, Ginn, Todman, Tillman, Martin, Oher...

@ChrisTrapasso: ...those two OTs aren't exactly game-changers but represents upgrades over their horrid OT situation in '14.

@ChrisTrapasso: In draft #Panthers added another matchup nightmare WR in Funchess, Thomas Davis insurance in Shaq Thompson & more OL help in Darly Williams.

@ChrisTrapasso: IIRC, #Panthers didn't have much cap room & weren't loaded w/ extra picks. I think their front office did a really good job this offseason.

@ChrisTrapasso: Carolina certainly has holes. But given their situation, overall, I like the moves they made this offseason. @OptimumScouting

@ChrisTrapasso: The Shaq pick was a bit peculiar. And LT may still be an issue, just think they had a good but pretty underrated offseason @OptimumScouting

post-332-143087945816_thumb.jpg

post-332-143087956584_thumb.jpg

But we were loaded with extra picks...until we traded them away. Also, while Shaq might be TD insurance I don't think he's going to be backing anyone up. At least I hope not.

We had extra picks, but 9 picks in a bad draft doesn't really help. I'm glad he traded some and moved up to get the guys he wanted

of those two, Galko knows a lot more about football. Was curious what his side of the conversation was:

Eric Galko @ OptimumScouting

20m

@ChrisTrapasso Don't think they have a legit LT, hopefully

adequate RT,no big play threats (after TG), SAF issues. Too

many luxury picks IMO

17m

@ChrisTrapasso Could've moved up 2 spots for Humphries,

cured biggest need, went WR/LB/DB afterwards. Was WLB

really worth it?

What don't you get that we weren't going to have 9 players make the roster?

I was just pointing out the inaccuracy in the tweets. I like that he likes our offseason - I've liked it as well - but we had plenty of draft currency to add to the team. We chose to convert nine picks into five players - three of whom could be immediate starters.

I also highly doubt that we couldn't have fit a few more draft picks onto the roster. We will almost certainly have UDFAs that make the team this year.

Our roster is improving but there are still clear areas of need. We could absolutely use younger and better depth at all positions of the offensive line. And a talented DE and DT could help matters.

I'm not arguing against Gettleman trading up. He knows more about football than I ever will. It will take years for hs to know if the trades were good moves.

yea bleacherreport had an article predicting the records for each team in 2015. they had the Panthers first in the South at 10-6, and they gave a lot of love to our off season moves without once mentioning that the rest of the South will be horrid this year haha.

of those two, Galko knows a lot more about football. Was curious what his side of the conversation was:

20m

@ChrisTrapasso Don't think they have a legit LT, hopefully

adequate RT,no big play threats (after TG), SAF issues. Too

many luxury picks IMO

17m

@ChrisTrapasso Could've moved up 2 spots for Humphries,

cured biggest need, went WR/LB/DB afterwards. Was WLB

really worth it?

Galko's second tweet is the question that we can only answer with time. I know they liked Shaq but given the need at LT - would trading up two spots have been worth it? If Oher pans out it is a moot point. And Humphries might not be that good.

Personally, I felt on draft night that we gambled on Humphries not going to the Lions/Cards and got burned. Not the worst gamble to be honest - I didn't think the Cards were going OT. Denver seemed to think the Cards wanted Shane Ray and that makes sense to me. That's the way it breaks sometimes. Shaq's a pretty great consolation prize.

Archived