• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should we trade Stewart?

jpniner

i dont understand how anyone could even really think of getting rid of him.

the thought comes from how horrible the Defensive Line and pass rush is, combined with Goodsen looking very solid. Its risky, but I fail to see how we win much without an average DL.

As it stands, I see a healthy team losing games in demoralizing fashion because of the Defense, after scoring fairly often on Offense.

Although with Fox, he may be thinking our best Defense is a solid Running attack that controls the Clock for most of the quarter(keeping our Defense off the field).

that really isn't what the ground game does. it is explosive....not really grinding and time consuming. Fox obviously thinks his medicore DL and D philosophy is good enough......all these problems existed last season and nothing has been done to change it.

the thought comes from how horrible the Defensive Line and pass rush is, combined with Goodsen looking very solid. Its risky, but I fail to see how we win much without an average DL.

As it stands, I see a healthy team losing games in demoralizing fashion because of the Defense, after scoring fairly often on Offense.

so we just get someone to give up a top tier DT for j stew and now all of the sudden the corners can tackle and they dont miss assignments? o and all of the sudden we stop playing soft coverage and no one ever picks up a 1st down on us the whole season. c mon man. there isnt any chance of that happening. there is however a chance that we plug a decent DT in there for cheap as a patch and keep a top rushing attack intact and run like hell on the other team and force them to score quickly on us and reducing the need for such a stout rush.

so we just get someone to give up a top tier DT for j stew and now all of the sudden the corners can tackle and they dont miss assignments? o and all of the sudden we stop playing soft coverage and no one ever picks up a 1st down on us the whole season. c mon man. there isnt any chance of that happening. there is however a chance that we plug a decent DT in there for cheap as a patch and keep a top rushing attack intact and run like hell on the other team and force them to score quickly on us and reducing the need for such a stout rush D. we got to play what we have, believe me i hate the way the D looks as well but we dont get rid of a star to get a somewhat better patch for a D that will still have holes.

Whats opinions here? With Goodsen looking like a solid RB, giving us 3 of them along with questions about Stewarts health(potentially being a constantly injury plagued RB).....Why not trade Stewart now?

What is his trade value? could we get a stud DT for him? If so, who?

Seems like some bold move like this(getting a solid DT for him) is the way to improve the team via the Defense while possibly not hurting the Offense too bad? Better overall team?

trying so hard to come up with an intelligent response...but all that keeps coming to mind is....you're an idiot

You've got to be kidding... right?

We're a power running team, have been and will be. Williams and Stewart are the dream duo for anyone wanting a power running game. Imagine having Eric Dickerson and Earl Campbell in your backfield ... this is the same thing.

Even more so, realize that we have the capability to have two backs in on a play at any time. Williams and Stewart, Williams and Goodson, Stewart and Goodson. How do you set your defense against that?

Imagine the five offensive linemen, Jake, Moose and Smitty, Williams and Stewart lined up. Do you put eight men in the box to stop the run? Then Jake can fire one out to our excellent receivers, with Williams and Stewart showing off that they can both throw blocks.

Imagine the same with Goodson in... Goodson flanks out to the slot, pulling a safety and probably a linebacker to cover him. Smitty gets single coverage and dashes down the field, Moose slams a block and Williams takes the hand off.

And we're going to trade that for a wide body on defense that helps slow down the other team's running game? I don't think so.

It's a fair question and some of you are missing the facts. I'm not saying he might need to go now, but think about this...

D-Lo's next contract is going to be LARGE. And as they stated on the radio yesterday, you don't need TWO "1000 yd backs" on a team. You need one to get about 1500 and a simple backup to get around 500. J-Stew is not a simple back up! What happens when he gets 1000 yds as well and wants as much money as D-Lo makes?

Get it yet? We won't be able to afford two superstar RBs, IMHO, and we have two. This has nothing to do with Goodson, or any injuries, and he's here for this year easily. But as long as he's as good as we know he is, it'll get very interesting in the near future come contract talks.

So, fair question, OP, but too soon to answer.

It's a fair question and some of you are missing the facts. I'm not saying he might need to go now, but think about this...

D-Lo's next contract is going to be LARGE. And as they stated on the radio yesterday, you don't need TWO "1000 yd backs" on a team. You need one to get about 1500 and a simple backup to get around 500. J-Stew is not a simple back up! What happens when he gets 1000 yds as well and wants as much money as D-Lo makes?

Get it yet? We won't be able to afford two superstar RBs, IMHO, and we have two. This has nothing to do with Goodson, or any injuries, and he's here for this year easily. But as long as he's as good as we know he is, it'll get very interesting in the near future come contract talks.

So, fair question, OP, but too soon to answer.

Could be our ticket back into the 1st round next season.

Archived