• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Speed Out

Jeremy Igo

In all the videos I've seen so far, to me it seems like Funchess catches the ball much more fluidly than Benji.  Benji always looks like he's lunging at the ball, like at the last second he sees it and has to quickly snatch it out of the air.  Funchess just seems to have his hands ready at the spot where the ball will be and easily pulls it in.  I don't know, maybe I'm just seeing things.  As long as they catch it, that's all that matters.

Or the ball is placed in a different spot 

​KB has always jumped when he catches the ball, no matter where it's placed.  You'll see it on a majority of his catches.  I was hoping they would try to work that out of him, because, as you can see in the vine, it hinders his ability to turn up field for extra yards.  You can see his feet land awkwardly near the sidelines, not able to turn up field naturally.  Compare to Funchess, who's already going up field, as KB is just coming down with the ball from his little jump.  

​KB has always jumped when he catches the ball, no matter where it's placed.  You'll see it on a majority of his catches.  I was hoping they would try to work that out of him, because, as you can see in the vine, it hinders his ability to turn up field for extra yards.  You can see his feet land awkwardly near the sidelines, not able to turn up field naturally.  Compare to Funchess, who's already going up field, as KB is just coming down with the ball from his little jump.  

​I so totally see what you mean in watching the video again.  A really helpful analysis.  Thanks.

​I think you're seeing that because the ball to KB is led further outside, so he uses a small leap forward to extend to make the catch. 

On Funchess' route the ball is put on his body, so he is able to catch it in stride and turn up the field. 

Ball location affects the type of attempt made on the ball, I don't know if it is, but I'm guessing that is Proehl throwing the routes, or another assistant. 

There are plenty of times we saw KB catch the ball and turn up field for yac. 

​I think you're seeing that because the ball to KB is led further outside, so he uses a small leap forward to extend to make the catch. 

On Funchess' route the ball is put on his body, so he is able to catch it in stride and turn up the field. 

Ball location affects the type of attempt made on the ball, I don't know if it is, but I'm guessing that is Proehl throwing the routes, or another assistant. 

There are plenty of times we saw KB catch the ball and turn up field for yac. 

​I'm not just talking about that singular catch.  You'll notice him "baby jump," unnecessarily, on many of his catches.  Even in this vine, he doesn't have to jump to catch that ball.  He just has to keep his stride, and doing that would enable him to get up field faster, and get an extra few yards.  I'm not saying he didn't ever turn up field for yac.  I'm saying that he's hindering himself from being able to get more, by not staying in stride and/or landing awkwardly from baby jumping.  Keep watching him.  You'll see it.

​Would make sense. Kelvin would be an amazing over the middle possession guy. 

​That along with Corey (don't call me Philly) Brown developing and playing the slot...

Damn it, I can't help it, I'm all aboard the hype train mother fugers. 

Archived