• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Josh Norman and the Carolina Panthers making a statement in 2015

PhillyB

Regardless of what the flag means to you...it is undeniably a symbol of hatred to a vast majority. A state government should not have that symbol flying at it's capitol. Put it in a museum as a marker of history. After things like this we always say we need to have the race conversation and we never do. We talk about specifics but we don't get uncomfortable. Segregation by the government ended years ago but we have kept it going privately. Get out there, meet different people and experience their life. You might just find that a smile is a smile and we aren't all that different.

Taking down the flag by itself isn't the end of the conversation. The conversation needs to continue each and every day in order to strip our preconceived notions about how everyone else lives.

If you want to get technical, both flags shown are the "1st national flag" and the battle flag that the army of the tenn. used during the war. The army of northern Virginia used the flag that is more square with a white border. CSA had 3 national flags all together. Army of northern Virginia never used the one above and that is a popular misconception.

and that is a popular misconception.

And fine young male means a bundle of sticks. While I can appreciate and not judge you for pointing out technical history it's irrelevant when the over riding majority view the word/symbol/whatever as meaning one thing. While I can understand using the symbol as reflection of southern pride and the ability to stand up for something...kind of like Texans view themselves...it is the wrong symbol. That's essentially the problem. I think a lot of southerners want a symbol that says "hey we won't be pushed around and will stand up for ourselves if pushed" but in the end the thing they are saying they stood up for was slavery...when oversimplified. And the notion of standing up for yourself and your belief is good...the flag just reminds people that oh yeah you stood up...but for something awful. Unfortunately, I don't think there is another symbol of standing up in the south and that's sad. It's very American to be anti-establishment...but that symbol is the wrong symbol.

As somebody that wants the *** to be taken down (among other things) I hate when sport franchises take "positions" on these issues. They could ban the flag from the games or whatever but they're in no position to influence policy. The Phoenix Suns did the same thing a few years ago when the immigration debate took over Arizona, even going as far as wearing "Los Suns" jerseys. Sports are supposed to be OUR escape from the shitty world we live in, not a constant reminder. This will only further divide people, and this thread is going to the tinderbox.

Sports Franchises are in a very good position to influence those that makes these decisions. Money = Power...and our sports are our escape from our shitty world, but don't forget that we all live in the same world. If our athletes can use their platform to help our shitty world turn things around, maybe we'd be reminded of nicer things...

Souther Pride, huh? What was going on in this country...mostly in the southern/confederate states, when this flag was flown? That's what you are proud of? And to equate what happened to the american indians, to slavery, the black codes and jim crow'ism, is morally, factually and intellectually dishonest...to say the absolute least. It gives a constant middle finger to 42 million AMERICANS, in particular and a whole host of others after that. Who cares though, right? All of the statues, street names, memorials, parks and names of cities/towns aren't enough for you to be "proud" of your "heritage". I will say this though, JR has conviction and balls the size of BOA stadium, to take on this fight. I Respect that infinitely.

My southern pride:

a coke is a coke and not "pop"

barbecue is a type of food, not a verb

holding the door for people coming in behind you

Iced tea is sweet tea unless specified as unsweet

we "cut" the lights on/off 

What else?

Saying yes maam or yes sir to people behind cash registers. 

Not enough conversation about it? The debate can be found anywhere and its fuggin anoying

The issue is everywhere though. Again, we don't need to be reminded of the issues that plagued our society everywhere we go. If I turn on ESPN, I want to see a guy get dunked on, or a homerun, a touchdown etc and just for a second escape all of the troubles in my life.If I want to hear about the flag debate, CNN, MSNBC, Fox etc are all covering it.

I direct you to this...

https://youtu.be/LJl9iqnvkOE

There is a difference of what the news "talks about"and having an actual conversation and doing something about it.

I applaud the Panthers for talking about 

Archived