• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dear NFL: Bring Back the Fullback

Jeremy Igo

Disagree on the base offense, although I definitely see where you're coming from.

The closest I saw to it being a pure E-P under our current coaches was back in  2013 when they dialed back on the vertical and had Cam doing more short passing. It actually worked better than I expected it to, but I think with Cam's skill set and the way the team is being tooled, it's going to be more straight Coryell.

I'd actually prefer E-P honestly, but given the players we've got I definitely see the offense to come being more of a pure Coryell. Funchess in particular is someone I see being well suited to that.

Mind you, despite his admiration for Norv Turner, I'm not sure Rivera has a preferred offensive system. Back when we were looking at new OCs, the choices were all over the map.

Yeah you're right. Part way through 2013 is when I noticed a shift. But NFL offenses are hard to classify these days, especially with the influence of the College game. Everybody seems to run a bit of everything. 

Yeah you're right. Part way through 2013 is when I noticed a shift. But NFL offenses are hard to classify these days, especially with the influence of the College game. Everybody seems to run a bit of everything. 

Definitely.

You've still got the three major established offenses, but each team and each OC is gonna have their own unique take on whatever base offense they're running. So while the base concepts are still there, Norv Turner's Coryell and Hue Jackson's Coryell are each going to have their own finer points.

And then when you throw in stuff like Chip Kelly's offense, spread concepts, read option attacks, etc.  There's a lot out there these days.

I look at it kinda like the old martial arts.  Used to be the teachers of Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, etc all wanted nothing to do with the other arts, but here in the day of 'mixed martial arts', it's loosened up a lot.  The base systems are all still there, but with more freedom to take whatever works.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, I'll ask: What exactly do you think we're running?

Last season? Our offense was an enigma. He we ran more "college style plays" than any other team in the NFL, and towards the end we went heavily with the no huddle and read option. The Coryell relies a lot  on attacking vertically, last season were one of the worst teams in the league in terms of big plays. Cam's rookie season under Chud we had more of a vertical passing game but ever since then its been intermediate passing game, chewing up the clock.

Last season? Our offense was an enigma. He we ran more "college style plays" than any other team in the NFL, and towards the end we went heavily with the no huddle and read option. The Coryell relies a lot  on attacking vertically, last season were one of the worst teams in the league in terms of big plays. Cam's rookie season under Chud we had more of a vertical passing game but ever since then its been intermediate passing game, chewing up the clock.

Rivera's said recently that he really likes the flow of our no huddle offense so there's a lot more of that coming.