• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Job Advice / Finance Advice

Paintballr

Hello Huddle, sorry if this is just a wall of text but posting this on mobile so sorry up front... So I need advice on how to handle asking for a higher than the normal or just another pay increase at my job.... Little about myself at my current job. I'm 27 years old GM for a retail/food establishment. I originally started working here when I was 17 years old worked up and left after 4 years and becoming an ASM. Left and went to Best Buy where I worked myself up to a sales manager position and was there for about 3 years. I was recruited back by a recruiter to my previous employment (honestly was looking at the same time, Best Buy was going through a lot of trouble and thought it was wise to leave). I was brought back as a ASM at my current place...my pay range they gave me to started was between $30,00-$38,000. After 3 months they gave me my own store and had an increase of over 15% to accept the new position.... ...now, I've been in my role for 3 years this September. I have become the 3rd most tenured manager in my district (others being 8 years, and 5 years). I have grown my stores business (10 year old location) the first year at 15% YoY and last year 18% YoY. This year is almost over and I am currently at 19% sales growth. I've decreased my stores turnover by 20%, and I'm over 10% (improved every year I've been in position) my store total contribution on my stores P&L. Personally being in my role for 3 years I feel I've increase what was a negative sales growth store into a very profitable business....I'm training to be a TSM (training store manager) to train external candidates (both retail and corporate) and I've duel managed stores twice in my 3 year span for an extended time frame. I've seen an increase in pay on average of 2% the past two years and honestly, I feel I'm out performaning my peers. I found out (probably shouldn't compare) that I make the same or slightly less than my peers who have been in position for a shorter time (different factors such as transfer from out of area, external hires, internal promotions etc). How should I go about presenting this to my boss come September, because honestly a 2% increase won't cut it continually the new 5-10 years for my career growth. Any advice would be appricated.

Hello Huddle, sorry if this is just a wall of text but posting this on mobile so sorry up front... So I need advice on how to handle asking for a higher than the normal or just another pay increase at my job.... Little about myself at my current job. I'm 27 years old GM for a retail/food establishment. I originally started working here when I was 17 years old worked up and left after 4 years and becoming an ASM. Left and went to Best Buy where I worked myself up to a sales manager position and was there for about 3 years. I was recruited back by a recruiter to my previous employment (honestly was looking at the same time, Best Buy was going through a lot of trouble and thought it was wise to leave). I was brought back as a ASM at my current place...my pay range they gave me to started was between $30,00-$38,000. After 3 months they gave me my own store and had an increase of over 15% to accept the new position.... ...now, I've been in my role for 3 years this September. I have become the 3rd most tenured manager in my district (others being 8 years, and 5 years). I have grown my stores business (10 year old location) the first year at 15% YoY and last year 18% YoY. This year is almost over and I am currently at 19% sales growth. I've decreased my stores turnover by 20%, and I'm over 10% (improved every year I've been in position) my store total contribution on my stores P&L. Personally being in my role for 3 years I feel I've increase what was a negative sales growth store into a very profitable business....I'm training to be a TSM (training store manager) to train external candidates (both retail and corporate) and I've duel managed stores twice in my 3 year span for an extended time frame. I've seen an increase in pay on average of 2% the past two years and honestly, I feel I'm out performaning my peers. I found out (probably shouldn't compare) that I make the same or slightly less than my peers who have been in position for a shorter time (different factors such as transfer from out of area, external hires, internal promotions etc). How should I go about presenting this to my boss come September, because honestly a 2% increase won't cut it continually the new 5-10 years for my career growth. Any advice would be appricated.

Sounds like you work for dollar general. If thats the case my gf is also a store manager with similar statistics and that company is a piece of poo. Theyll sooner donate their entire bank account to ISIS than give their store managers a raise.

Sounds like you work for dollar general. If thats the case my gf is also a store manager with similar statistics and that company is a piece of poo. Theyll sooner donate their entire bank account to ISIS than give their store managers a raise.

Negative ghost rider....this is a very successful company that many people look and say "wow that must be great to work for"

Looks to me like you just wrote your own justification. Why not just take what you posted here and go on a mission?

Have a solid list of accomplishments/ideas etc that is quantifiable but have a backup plan in case your boss does nothing.

We have "success profiles" which basically gives you a rating of MI (must improve) ME (meets expectations) AE (Above Expectations) and CE (Consistently Exceeds Expectations). We create our own personal review etc which I am honestly for the most part in the AE category. This would classify a 2.5% raise compared to a 2%, but like y'all said I feel confident in what I've accomplished but never have actually gone to a boss and asked for a raise.

Have you thought of securing the financing to open a franchise yourself? 

It has crossed my mind. Unfortunately the company I work for doesn't frachise to keep total control of the company...plus we sign a 2 year competitor clause of I quit. If I go that route for a franchise I would have to go to a competitor at least for the same "type". I haven't looked to much for another job in a way. I honestly like the company I work for they do right (most of the time) or at least attempt to. I have looked at moving up (district manager) but only 4 of those in the immediate Charlotte area and most have been tenured for almost 5+ years while our regional director has been in his role for 12+ roles. If I go another route I have a good amount of experience in this field (especially for my age) but I feel like one thing I always feel like would hold me back is I have no college degree.

Negative ghost rider....this is a very successful company that many people look and say "wow that must be great to work for"

False. They force managers to work 6 days a week sometimes 7 and dont give them enough labor hours to do anything. Then you cant hire any good people because they wont pay more than 7.95 and good employees wont work for that garbage. On top of not paying for degrees, dirty stores and overall cheapness. This coming from a former store manager myself. It is by far the biggest piece of poo ive ever experienced. The only people I know that stay there are people that dont think they can do any better than 30k a year. Agreed however yes they are successful. But they are also derping hardcore atm and forcing a lot of stores into negative sales opening too many too close together. I wont derail your thread anymore though hope you get your raise your statistics are definitely solid.

False. They force managers to work 6 days a week sometimes 7 and dont give them enough labor hours to do anything. Then you cant hire any good people because they wont pay more than 7.95 and good employees wont work for that garbage. On top of not paying for degrees, dirty stores and overall cheapness. This coming from a former store manager myself. It is by far the biggest piece of poo ive ever experienced. The only people I know that stay there are people that dont think they can do any better than 30k a year. Agreed however yes they are successful. But they are also derping hardcore atm and forcing a lot of stores into negative sales opening too many too close together. I wont derail your thread anymore though hope you get your raise your statistics are definitely solid.

Negative was for that I don't work for them

Archived