• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brown, Boykin, Byrd?

Jeremy Igo

First of all this forum was about Mike Brown, and, secondly, I never said that Corey Brown wouldn't make it, I alluded to the fact that I thought he was JAG and that I thought that Boykin was more accomplished and probably better. Moreover, I said that it would all boil down to competition during the preseason. I also said that, regardless, I don't want either one of them starting and that if we did we would have a problem. Lastly, I said that the name on the jersey really doesn't matter as long as the best man wins the job. So, no, I am not hypocritical, and I have always been a believer in competition over all. 

That's the thing about the Huddle and the written word, it's all there in the record. Sure, I have been very skeptical of Corey Brown, but part of my expressions have been because I believe that a certain contingent in the Huddle has blown the guy up to legendary status, even though he was JAG as a receiver and returner, seems somewhat prone to injury, and in my mind is no more deserving of praise than Bersin. But, even though I continue to be skeptical, if Corey Brown lives up to his Huddle hype, then hip hip hooray. But, make no mistake, I haven't and would not write anyone off, no matter how some people want to twist words and create their own Huddle narrative to cast negativity upon top dawg. It's a football forum, we all have opinions, and no one has been 100 percent right about anything. 

I would hardly say he's up to "legendary status". Not sure what your definition of a JAG is, but for me, he doesn't fit that.

Not every WR we have is going to be a returner. We've got Ginn, and at this point we may have Byrd who can help there too.

To be plainly honest, if you see Corey as a "JAG", but not Boykin, there may be some bias going on.

At this point I just want the best WR's out there to help our QB. We actually have some real competition at the position, and it's refreshing.

Edited by TheRed

I would hardly say he's up to "legendary status". Not sure what your definition of a JAG is, but for me, he doesn't fit that.

Not every WR we have is going to be a returner. We've got Ginn, and at this point we may have Byrd who can help there too.

To be plainly honest, if you see Corey as a "JAG", but not Boykin, there may be some bias going on.

At this point I just want the best WR's out there to help our QB. We actually have some real competition at the position, and it's refreshing.

Well, I actually said that if either one was starting then we'd have a problem. My only "bias" with Boykin is that he is bigger, stronger, has a modicum of success on special teams, and is a darned good blocker, particularly downfield. He has also shown more as a receiver, but of course Brown hasn't had as much an opportunity as Boykin, but it is what it is. 

I don't believe either one is an epiphany as a wide-out (in the sense of Victor Cruz), but if one or both surprises me,I will give them the praise that they deserve. I still am not going to apologize for skepticism based upon their careers thus far though.  They will have to earn my loyalty, much like any player.

• Pie 1

Well, I actually said that if either one was starting then we'd have a problem. My only "bias" with Boykin is that he is bigger, stronger, has a modicum of success on special teams, and is a darned good blocker, particularly downfield. He has also shown more as a receiver, but of course Brown hasn't had as much an opportunity as Boykin, but it is what it is. 

I don't believe either one is an epiphany as a wide-out (in the sense of Victor Cruz), but if one or both surprises me,I will give them the praise that they deserve. I still am not going to apologize for skepticism based upon their careers thus far though.  They will have to earn my loyalty, much like any player.

I don't blame you for being skeptical. Labeling him a JAG though is a bit harsh. Obviously Victor Cruz level expectations would be rather absurd.

My main concern with Boykin would be his inconsistency. We've seen enough of that at the position over the years.

Anyways, it looks like things are shaping up for us to see some nice competition in preseason, and that's always a plus.

To be clear, though I give you poo sometimes, and you can be a little silly, I value your opinion on this board.

I don't blame you for being skeptical. Labeling him a JAG though is a bit harsh. Obviously Victor Cruz level expectations would be rather absurd.

My main concern with Boykin would be his inconsistency. We've seen enough of that at the position over the years.

Anyways, it looks like things are shaping up for us to see some nice competition in preseason, and that's always a plus.

To be clear, though I give you poo sometimes, and you can be a little silly, I value your opinion on this board.

I hear you, Red ***top dawg sheds tear***

BTW, It's a little early still for Boykin. I can't wait to see what he does in the games. There are a number of people that labeled him a camp body back in April. I must say that I was a little disappointed in him during OTAs, but we must remember that he is still green in our system. As for Green Bay, he was really consistent overall. He was hurt last season had a few early drops out of a minuscule number of opportunities, and outright lost his job to a decidedly better receiver (all of this confirmed by our very own Packers fan). He really wasn't the inconsistent space eater that he was initially labeled as by some Huddlers. That being said, he may not make it if he can't beat out a couple of the team favorites (as well as the new UDFA). Ultimately, I am good with that provided he doesn't obviously outplay his competition. 

• Pie 1

Keeping Byrd over Brown and Boykin would help on the compensatory picks front next year. 

Those guys don't factor in. 

KB, Funch Master Flex, Corey Brown, Cotch, Bersin, Boykin/Byrd 

it's too little too late for Brown - might try to stash Byrd on practice squad, but Gettleman will be wary after the Tyler Gaffney debacle 

Ginn has to fit in somewhere. Benjamin, Funchess, Cotchery, Philly, Ginn, Bersin is my guess. Byrd seems like a prime practice squad candidate. 

Another factor we're not really discussing is cuts coming up. Maybe we find a receiver there. 

• Pie 1

Those guys don't factor in. 

Ginn has to fit in somewhere. Benjamin, Funchess, Cotchery, Philly, Ginn, Bersin is my guess. Byrd seems like a prime practice squad candidate. 

Another factor we're not really discussing is cuts coming up. Maybe we find a receiver there. 

crap completely forgot about Ginn yea definitely take off Boykin/Byrd 

I tend to look at the receivers in groups.

KB and Funchess are fighting for 2 spots (otherwise known as locks)

Cotchery, Bersin, and Boykin are fighting for two spots.

Ginn, Brown, and Byrd are fighting for 2 spots.

A lot of this will be determined in the preseason games, and it won't necessarily be who makes the spectacular plays but the one who consistently does their job.

The fans get exited over the 20yrd RAC but have no idea about the times a player runs the wrong route or misses a block on a running play.